Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
32k Members

how to get off

hi i am 40yrs old,and i been on percocet 10mgs.for my back i have spinabifita.i do not want to be on these anymore,they have debilitated my hole life.i am scared of the withdrawls as i have to start a new job friday.anyone know how to get off them,and ease the withdrawls?
There is a lot you can do. The biggest aid you have as we'll as adversary is your own attitude. Remember that many people have overcome pills and you can too. It's all in due time. You have spent a long time medicating and it's just our bodies needing to recover and function normally.
How long have you taken the Percocet and how much each day? Search for 'Thomas recipe'.
There is some instruction on what to eat, what vitamins to take. Hot baths and help with sleep. Good luck.
Well first like jayfive asked How many 10mg were you taking a day???
Speaking from my many yrs of use I would most dif do a taper..Talk to you DR..Be honest with him/her..Ask if they can do a plan with u..For me I could not have them in my lil ol hands...Give them to some one you can trust to dull them out to you..Slow & easy..I have been on this site for a while and seem some great blessing from people who do a taper...It is alot less of a w/d then from jumping from a high dose...Then when you feel that you have some anxiety, sleep issues or aches, we will be here for you step by step if u keep posting...Have alot of experience people with lots of natual to otc things we use..Plus the exercise and lot of H2O..There is so much...SO try to do a taper and hang with us we will help...

vickie
Hey!
             Congrats on your decision & on coming to this site. You can do this if you really want it. There are a couple of ways to do it. Ok, so you're 40 and you're taking 10 mgs... how often? Also, it would help to know how many years you've been taking them. One thing I can tell you for sure is you're not going to be able to do it by Friday. Could I also ask you do you actually run out of pills before you're supposed to or are you taking the medicine as prescribed? Sorry, about the questions but it gives us a better place to start from.
thank u so much,i take 6-7 a day.and only supposed to take 4.bu im so scared of the withdralws.does green tea help?
yes i take more than supose to ,and i been on them now little over three yrs.im just tired of running out...but most of all tired of them control me.
Sounds like you really want to stop. That's a good thing! Your habit could be a lot heavier and that's another good thing. You've got three years in. Okay, you can do this but you're going to have plan ahead to make it work. No, green tea does not help, though it's good for you. I totally sympathize with being sick and tired with being sick and tired. A taper is a good idea. Do you think that would be something you could control or is there anyone around you feel comfortable with that could help you out. That would really take the pressure and temptation off of you. The other thing you could do is go cold turkey. The worst of it will pass in about five or so days. Even with a taper you will go through WD's. Try not to fear them. Think of it as an unpleasant but necessary initiation into the life you've always wanted for yourself. Mellissa, you can do this..