Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
32k Members

how to get through Tramadol (plus other) withdrawel in one piece, step by step

hi,
actually found this forum by mere chance of desperation
whilst googling I came cross "Emily Post's Journal" somewhere here on the forum
this could be the linky

http://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/show/16030/Day-18-Cold-Turkey-Withdrawal-from-Tramadol

sent a distress call and Rosy and Heather directed me to here
please find below said destress call and maybe you could furnish me with some help
will also read more through this file etc

head is moodled/moddled up, hope the below makes sense

what is actually my question?

one thing is for sure: in this battle I will come out as the winner and Tramodol as the big looser

destress call
hi,

I am another one glad to have found you
thanks for keeping the thread going
am a few years back to you and slowly reading my way up but thought of jumping on here to let you know of how thankful I am to you all

am all over the place, vomiting, shaking, emotional, angry you name it

not quite sure if I am on day 2 or 5

but I started now to detox and I will get through it! I am stubborn! and this thread will help me through!!!

am/was on a combo of venlafanine, quetiapine, paracetamol, tramadol, quinine and zopiclone
for depression, chronic pain/fibroyalgia, ME, mscle spasms, insomnia etc

my (clever - not) idea was to come off the venla (plus quetiapine) because after years of taking them, they don't make a difference anymore and
"why "inhabit" a reuptake of serotonin when I can take something to increase it (5htp)?" was the thought and wondered why my GP (I think that is what he said at the time) said there is no such thing ...

successfully reduced more and more, no probs until reached a certain dose and than stayed on it for some time now

anyway, far to shakie etc  now

thought I reduce and will stop the venla etc and slowly start taking 5HTP
thought was good until .... I couldn't say what it was that hit me first

anyway, getting the shakes and sweats and vomiting etc I thought it might be to much serotine floating around and treading very carefully around the 5HTP now, actually only took 3 in about a week and stop now, no need to mess me around even more

didn't know that Tramadol has anti-d in it too and am shocked at what I read so far

stopped Tramadol now too, hence no idea which day I am but am rubbish therefore must stil be in days 1 to 4 ish
sorry, concentration on low and dexterity of fingers on keyboard a hit and miss ...
anyway
will continue to read and will get through
went through other withdrawels before but nothing close to this

because of the non sleeping I tried to ease myself of to sleep with  zopiclone last night but even after 3 (!) I was wide awake and I am very sensible in taking zopi and can go without for weeks etc without a problem

regardless of that my GP gives zopi to me very reluctantly ( because of withdrawel - not) but dishes out the Tramadol like sweets the brain zaps etc

my brain is all over the place and reminder of head frequently vomiting over the bucket

drinking sips of water to keep the vomiting experience of "wrenching out my guts" to a minimum
can rely on the "am I dying, or what? and when hopefully soon" - thought train
can't wait for it to be over

any ad hoc tips welcome

lots of love
Lulu

Hi Lulu- It sounds like you're struggling here. First of all, you're right about the Seratonin. The 5 HTP will only increase free Seratonin...although it will help you down the road when you're completely detoxed from Tramadol and not taking any other anti depressant.

You'll need help with sleep right now and it's important. Later on you can taper off that sleep med.  When there are meds you want to stop taking, it's always better to stop one at a time...Also, I think it's much easier on the body to TAPER off Tramadol very slowly instead of stopping it abruptly. There is some evidence of seizure risk with abruptly stopping but it seems to be dependent on other factors.  How many Tramadol do you take per day or did you take per day?

Try ginger ale, peppermint tea, sips of coke, for the upset tummy. Rest now and know you'll feel better. We're here so ask questions...

So, if you stopped the Tramadol and the anti depressant all at the same time, you won't feel well at all!  All the more reason to go back on a small amount of Tramadol for a bit and taper off slowly...

Please get your doctor involved. He can prescribe some meds for vomiting and other symptoms.
hi Vicky,

thank you for your reply
I am struggeling, big time
and the bad is that I brought it all on by myself

coming off one meds at the time is exactly the advice I would give to everyone
it was not planed like that at all

I wanted to come off the anti-depressent venlafaxine most and first of all
God only knows why I had to throw in the 5HTP before tapering off first
and where the thought came to flush out the quetiapine at the same time boggles the mind
and whilst I made my self "knowledgable" and realized that tramadol also acts on the serotonin I must have lost my marbles completely

and now I don't know what to do

course I will contact my GP and come clean (yet) again
with all the sweating and stuff I don't fancy going outside and I am not really well enough to travel to my GP and when I moved house I also moved outside of his area which means a home visite is out of the window etc and I might "loose" him as GP when he finds out etc so better not take that risk
when I mess up then 100%

reading up on the amount other people take/took it's not much, 2 max 3 100mg ext release per day, if I would take one that would be already half my daily dose and would W/D make look rather like a farce
maybe I will break a tablett and take a fraction?

decided to take one paracetamol to ease stuff up, not sure if that works
(used to take 6 x 50mg per day)
plus took now one zopiclone for hope of sleep

still undecided about taking a fraction of tramadol

I just think I will mess up even more
I don't really wanna give up, that would be defeat and who knows, tomorrow I might just have broken the "cycle" etc but the shivers and spasms etc are more than I can bottle right now

I just want to come off of all that stuff
Lulu. Why were you taking the seroquel? Are you bipolar or schiz? You really ought not cold turkey that med. That mau the one you really should be taking.
You should also taper your ssri. Wgen you cold turkey them you get that terrible vertigo feeling and that not something you need tossed on your plate right now. As vicki said, a taper make for a much smoother withdrawal.  It also keeps you from getting so frustrated that you end up failing your goal.
I really urge you to stay on your seroquel at least till you have all the others licked.
Good luck sweety. Theres a hug attached if you can bear to be touched.
LULU I am so glad the link I gave you to the forum worked! So happy to see you posting! You will get incredible advice...be sure to FOLLOW it sweetie. One step at a time... You can do this..
thank you rosy,
thank you 1ringmaker,

read through the Thomas Recipe as good as possible but too much to take in - maybe if I had read it prior?

better today than yesterday, every sip of water came up straight away but continued to sip because I thought it will also get the acid out of my stomack (?)  - what did stay in was (water) ice lollies lol - managed to take 2x37.5mg venla and 2 half of paracetamol and it stayed in too plus zopiclone to sleep - wasn't sure about that because I worried if I might be sick and die in my sleep - still here

the seroquel is for (mild) bipolar, with rapid cycling, sometimes mixed but not manic as such - came down from 500 to 200 already over the last few month, no problems there

best place to be atm:
in bed with electric blankett on and dressed in multiple absorbing clothes to keep me from shivering and avoiding bed/mattress getting soaked - lights off, giving me even more headache, audio play in the back ground for light entertainment

started to take small dose of venlafaxine (thinking of 37.5 mg 3 times a day)
before I was down already to 75mg 3 time a day
and paracetamon (3 a day, down from 6)
plus zopiclone to help with sleep

I understand what you say about the seroquel, maybe I take one 100mg(was down on two already) every other day?

just the thought of taking the meds (all of them) makes me feel sick, but then so does the thought of anything going down my throat

the brain zaps are nearly gone, headache not, only once vomited so far
knibbled on 3 rice cakes and some lukewarm water and kept them in too

tired and exhausted now
thank you
lots of love
lulu
Things seem to be smoothing out for you lulu. Thats great. The good thing about tapering is a lot of the nastiness of withdrawal are minimized.
Responded to your invitation.  Im not on this site daily but stop in as often as I can.
Keep reducing a bit at a time.  The yuckies will smooth out and you will be able to pay attention to what your doing.  Anything that is critical to your mental health has to be the very last thing to be adjusted.  
Keep me up to date lulu and continued gool lu.