how to stop

I have been taking Xanax for a year now. 1mg daily. Also Paxil 20mg.But I have cut the Paxil down to every other day for about 2 months now because I simply could not afford it every month. What could I switch to taper off the Xanax that would be easier than the Xanax itself? I get withdrawels even at the low dose. Also is there anything that I could take that is cheaper than the Paxil? Thankyou Danielle
I have a question about stopping ultram. I am actually taking the generic (tramadol). I have been using it for 2 years and have tapered down to one dose every morning. I take 2 1/2 pills amounting to 125mil. I have vicodin or valium, zanax and even phenobarbitol available to use for a detox. The thing is I need to be able to function in about 5 days and from what I hear, it takes 2 weeks to feel decent. I'm afraid to even start this unless I can succeed. Can I just change to vicodin and not feel any reaction? I am not afraid of withdrawal from vicodin ... but tramadol is new territory. I am not a youngster, so I don't want to go into shock ... I appreciate any and all advice. Thanks, Goldie
Dear Golden1:

It would be very unwise to begin any detoxification until after the important meeting because responses vary with each individual. I have not had extensive personal experience with Tramadol but it does not take a genius to recognize that it is the equivalent of an opiate agonist with variations because of the scores of variants of the opiate receptors. It is hitting the same complex with variations and it is unpredictable how you woukld react. I would not substitute another opiate but rather to unload over a significant period of time- weeks- and allow the body to adjust.N OXXaionL SOAW OD  reN
DEAR GOLDIE1:

I AM RESPONDING TO YOU IMMEDIATELY BECAUSE IT WOULD BE UNFORTUNATE FOR YOU TO BEGIN ANY DETOXIFICATION UNTIL AFTER THE IMPORTANT MEETING, BECAUSE YOU ARE ON A SIGNIFICANT DOSE AND IT IS TOTALLY UNPREDICTABLE WHAT KIND OF WITHDRAWAL SYMPTOMATOLOGY YOU WOULD SUFFER. THIS IS PARTICULARLY SO WITH INDIVIDUALS WHO ARE OLDER.

I HAVE NOT HAD EXTENSIVE EXPERIENCE, HAVE HAD SOME, BUT ONE DOES NOT HAVE TO BE A GENIUS TO RECOGNIZE THAT TRAMADOL IS THE EQUIVALENT OF AN OPIATE AGONIST WITH VARIATIONS ON ITS SPECTRUM OF ACTIONS BECAUSE THERE ARE A BROAD COMPLEX OF OPIATE RECEPTORS  GOING BY GREEK NAMES  WITH DIFFERENCES IN THE SENSITIVITY OF VARIOUS RECPTORS TO A DRUG. THERE ARE SUFFICIENT COMMONALITIES THAT ANY AND ALL OF THE SYMPTOMATOLOGY OF WITHDRAWAL FROM AN OPIATE CAN OCCUR.  

I WOULD DETOXIFY OVER A PERIOD OF MANY WEEKS AND OCCASIONALLY  USE AN ANTI-ANXIETY PILL FOR A FEW DAYS IF MATTERS BECOME INTOLERABLE. ALL OF THESE COMMENTS ARE ASSUMING YOU DO NOT HAVE AN IMPOSSIBLE PAIN PROBLEM AND THE TOLERABILITY WILL DEPEND TO A GREAT EXTENT ON HOW DETERMINED YOU ARE TO BO FREE AND YOUR BIOLOGICAL MAKEUP RESPECTING PAIN OR ANXIETY THRESHOLD.
I took Ultram/Tramadol for more then a year, I was taking about 15 a day, I would tapper through to the 5 days then after your important thing then stop. My w/d from Tramadol the first time wasn't pleasant. It was presented as a non narcotic so when my tolerance kicked in I would take more until I would take 3 at a time and my energy kicked in I was up to 5 at a time, My doc put me on a tapper of one less every other day but if I would do it again I would go slower. If you replace it with vicoden you will not go through w/d until you stop all, you get a better feeling with vicoden and may start a new addiction to that which is what I did. When I went off Ultram my doc told me he has seen Psychosis in patients on Ultram, That scared the **** out of me. You will need more time then 5 days but the worse will be over then then the struggle of staying off, I had surgerys after the ultram so I started my vicoprohen addiction which was my choice of drug but would pretty much take any Opiate I could get my hands on. I have been through several w/d from both on my own and it's not easy, You can't in my opinion detox with vicodin because it's stronger then the Ultram, you are on little Tramadol now so keep up with the small amount then after your 5 days go a little lower. Good luck Goldie stay here through the process and well/I'll talk you through it, I'm going through day 12 of w/d except for a couple norco for extreme pain yesterday but I feel better today so no more unless my pain gets to the extreme I have my friend give me as little as possible for pain only/Lolli - I told my husband also and he said he knew too!! I haven't told him everything that I have done b/c I am to ashamed but he is being very supportive, My w/d haven't been as bad this time b/c I tappered with Darvocete for a couple of weeks, I have low energy and the blahs which compared to past w/d isn't a lot and was lucky to have my husband take care of the house during the worst, I can't go back because I would let my family down again. Golden 1 - Please be careful w/tramadol and get some info about tappering. You guys can e-mail me anytime - ***@**** - but please continue to look through this forum believe me it helps  -- TER
FYI- I am not a youngster I am a 41 year old Female- My personal opinion This **** ages you, I had a professional photo taken of myself before this ordeal, I used to get attention -the whistles, the can I have your # ect... Even high school kids would hit on me, but after a few years of Opiates and I'm sure the years catch up to you as well, I see pictures of myself and can't believe the differance it looks like I've aged 15 years in 5 I have to admit that didn't even stop me useing, What did was the lieing and being imbaressed at the pharmacy when they tell me it's to early to pick up my script, We all know the drill on that.  TER
I am determined to be free ... but it is starting to seem like an impossible goal. My pain threshold is not very good because I have Fibromyalgia. The Fibro has improved over the last 2 years and I have tapered down from a much larger dose. I have a little grandaughter that is 2 years old and I need energy to deal with her as well as my partime job doing real estate. So far I am hearing that tramadol withdrawal is unpredictable. I should use valium or zanax very sparingly for the mental symptoms and an opiate for the unbearable pain (when it happens) ... and take my time about all this .... and of coarse, make sure I don't become dependent on anything else .... thank you. I wish we had some actual clinical reports on tramadol withdrawal ... but I do appreciate your advice .... Goldie
Thank you so much .... there is no painless way out and it's not fair! I was told ultram was NOT addictive. Anyway ... what's the use of crying over spilled milk .. (I can't believe I said that)
The whole thing is getting so played out ... I just want to live my life and not worry about all this. If vicodin is stronger, I can break it in half and use it sparingly for excruciating pain. It should be good for 4 days .... thanks again, Goldie
I miss you and love ya!
Suzie
Thank God! Where are you? Are you on ezeeboard? Please come to amberhunters board. It rocks. What is your email?
email amber hunter at ***@**** if you are interested in joining in with a bunch of us in a very simple, uncomplicated, no waiting in line, kind of way~
Yesterday I was cleaning, seriously into detail, (first time in a while) and guess what I found? A large WHITE tablet. First thing I did was flip it over to see if it said M363(the big score) or M358, as soon as I saw M363, I started to shake, I slowly walked into the other room and screamed what I had...He talked me into giving it to him, took almost 95 seconds, as I was had seconds thoughts about given it up, BUT I did and we flushed it together!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Guys, I am so mad at myself for even THINKING about taking that pill, I guess honestly, not really mad but scared. What if I find one again and there is no one here to give it to?

Hope every body is doing great. I think I really should be grateful today, I have made it through the toughesat part-flushing ONE Lortab 10 is PROOF isn't it?????

(I am free-+28 days!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Anne, please post, I need to hear from you!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm sorry I haven't been posting much--I've been having a tough time with the mental aspect of everything--WOW flushing a hydro-10--You Go Girl!  I'm not sure in my present state of mind I would have had the strenght to flush it!--Thank you so much for caring--I would have never made it this far without YOU and Peaz and everyone else--Sooo today is 35 days clean and for today I'll be grateful for that--Take care and I'll be checking in again this evening--Once again you all sooooo special--Much Love Peace/Prayers Mystere/Aka N.O. Lady

Anne
I had gotton a flesh eating Bact in 1998. I have been clean and sober from 1994. I have not misused any of the drugs and most likely I have had them all. I would like to be off "ALL" drugs and just see what pain level I am at ? For the past year I have been taking Methadone. I have cut it down from 100Mg a day to 20Mg a day.Can someone help me with cuting the 20Mg a day ? Do I take 20 every other day and then to 10Mg a day and from there were do I go?

step 6
Your post made me "feel" why I am here. NO LADY, I care about you soooo much, a day without your posts makes me so scared, I missed you sooo much. We CAN do this, I know we can, please do not quit posting, your strength/fears support me sooo  much. Everybody knows we are days apart but I feel like we are in this together, from day one. Anne, if you need/want to talk one on one, pleeeeeaaaasssseeee, let me know, I will give you my e-mail address. GIRL-WE CAN DO THIS-I PROMISE WE CAN MAKE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is tough, BUT we can. Like the train says, I think I can , I think I can.......WE CAN!!!!!!!!!!!
You girls have the WORST behind you now KEEP GOING!!! PLEASE don't give in to the beast NOW!!!!!!!    OMG--call me collect but DON't USE!!!!!
   I had been sober a bout four months when I put my hand in my "mowing shorts" pocket, and came up w/ three hydros.....AACK!!!!   My hand went to my mouth; to the sink....to my mouth; to the sinkLOL  abuot five times before I finally decided to put 'em down the drain...JUST MY LUCK!! They fuckers (sorry) WOULDN'T FIT  so I had to run all the way (ALL THE WAY!!!!!LOL)  across the rrom to the bathroom where I FLUNG them into the toilet like the vermin they were, and flushed before I could grab 'em out.....WHEW!!  I stood there, shaking....thinking what a close call that had been.  But damn!!  that soon gave way to absolute PRIDE in my resolution and I feel ten feet tall.......A little thing, you might well say, but yet  such a HUGE gesture......!! Gracie--I am THAT proud of you now and I KNOW you can do it by yourself if it ever happens again!!!  I KNOW you will!!
    You two try and post more because you sound just a little shaky and having to report in will get you through that phase a little easier.. It makes a difference, having to 'fess up to others, because they don't "buy" the BS that we, ourselves can stomach quite readily..:-)  I love youse two---peazy
Happy Memorial Day--Peaz--Yes I guess I am a little shakey and I think I know why--I was having some skin reactions due to the Wellbutrin sooo I just decided to quit taking them--BAD MOVE--All week I have felt lethargic and sort of "lost"--I started taking them again yesterday and I can feel that old optimism begin to return--I really didn't think it would make much difference and boy was I wrong! Gracie thank you so much for all your love and support--Have you hit the OK WHAT NOW STAGE?-Now that we don't have the physical withdrawals to worry about how do we go about picking up the pieces of our lives without those magic little pills?  Anyway just wanted to check in and let everyone know how much I appreciate all of the caring and support--36 days out of hydro-hell and I am standing stronger!
Love Y'all--Peace Prayers-Mystere/AKA N.O, Lady

Anne
Hope everyone is enjoying a great TAB FREE holiday!!!! (My second one, since Easter)

Anne, I am at that what now stage, so I try to keep BUSY, guess that is why I found the thing I did-hehhehehehehhe, quite ironic, but it is over. And today is another free day. I also listen to lots of music as I am "cleaning" or working in the yard (it is OK, the neighbors are deaf-seriously, not trying to be cruel).The songs that used to make me cry, because I was so "ashamed" of myself, now give me strength. My pets are a major part of my life (my kids), and they are grateful to have their old Mom back-just puttin on the tennis shoes makes them crazy, they know that means WALK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Peazy, thank you so much for tellin me bout the mowing shorts thing, I am so relieved to know that it also scared the **** out of someone else! I was sooo, scared!

Guys, I love you all, and appreciate what you have done for me, I sincerely believe, this is NOT something anyone can do alone, we need each other, and I am grateful you guys are sharing/supporting me!!!!!!! (No one in my family knows about the tab thing, just Rick)
I don't know anything about methadone ... post to MrMichael67. He has alot of knowledge on this. Also Thomas .... you might read some of the threads on methadone. I salute you for getting down to 20 mil .... the lower you go ... the slower you must drag it out. Good luck to you ... Goldie
Today is the start to 10Mg of Metadone a day. Please keep me in your pray and thoughts as we all band together to help one anothe.
Peace
My friend can you tell me anything about coming off of Methadone ?? I have it now at 20Mg a day but wanted to start it at 10 Mg today ?? How long should I carry this out and how do I go about it ?
Thank you
I thank you for your support.
9years
I am sorry it took awhile to get to you.  DO NOT go from 20mg to 10mg!  You should go down about 1mg every two weeks.  NICE AND SLOW.  You should also make sure everything in your life is in order.  No drug use is must at this point or you shouldn't even consider it.
Of course, I am assuming you are at a clinic?  If you are at a clinic and on the liquid, then it can go down in 1mg increments.  If not, then you are going to basically break the pill into quarters and go by a 2.5mg drop.  The smallest you can break the pill, the better.  If you can break the pill into 1/8, then by all means do it.  Of course, I am talking about 10mg pills.  If you have 5mg ones, or something else like a 40mg diskette, then do it accordingly.  NICE AND SLOW.  Take a multi vitamin and eat well.  Keep hydrated and do what you know is right.  What I mean by that is you know pretty much what you shouldn't be doing.  Just take care of yourself during this and DO NOT be in a hurry.  I know we all want it NOW.
Wow, this is very hard for me to write, but I feel it is time.  My name is Rebecca, and I am a very happily married mom of 4 wonderful children.  I am also a hydrocodone addict. There, I have said it.  Not like I haven't said it to my husband before, but saying it to complete strangers in a little harder.  

I have always had what doctors would call an "addictive" personality.  I looked forward to dental procedures, and surgeries, knowing I would have my little slice of heaven with the euphoria from the pain meds.  I never sought them out, just happily took what came my way.  Then last June, following the birth of our youngest child (we had my tubes untied to have more children), it all went to heck.  I had Lortab for the c-section, nothing different than my other 3, but then my mind numbing migraies came back with a vengeance soon after she was born.  I was breastfeeding and determined not to quit this time, and the migraines were coming sometimes daily.  I had a very understanding doctor, who dealt with chronic pain himself, and he handed out the Vicoprofen like candy.  In addition, sometimes the Vicoprofen did not kill the headache, so I would have to go into his office for a shot of either Nubain or Stadol.  

Somewhere along that line, I got lost in the Vic's.  I never intended to, but I liked the way I felt when I took a couple.  I could do anything, I was not depressed, I had all the energy and positive attitide in the world.  With each new bottle of pills, I would tell myself "This is it, I will stop when these are gone."  Then it would be "OK, the next bottle, then I REALLY will quit."  I have been on antidepressants since my 7th month of pregnancy (I had some mild PPD with my second youngest child), and I guess the Vicoprofen gave me what I "expected" from an antidepressant.  Happiness was a full bottle of Vicoprofen in my purse.  Before I knew it, I couldn't stop taking the Vicoprofen without feeling w/d effects.  The first time, I told my doctor what was going on, and went through w/d cold turkey except for some Valium.  Of course, after the w/d was over, a month or so later I had myself convinced that I was "fixed" and could handle taking them again for the migraines.  Also let me explain I am allergic to the Triptans, such as Imitrex and that sort of migraine meds, they have horrible side effects for me, so my doc did not want me taking that.  Well, I'm sure you know as soon as I got back on the Vic's, it all went to heck again and in a very short period of time.  It went as far as me adding one, yes ONE, refill to a prescription, something I never ever thought I would do, and the pharmacist called the doc, who didn't write the refill, I did.  Now, I am a 34 year old professional business woman, an accountant, a happy wife and mother, I NEVER thought this would happen to ME.  How wrong I was.  It was so hard the day that the pharmacist told me he couldn't fill the Vicoprofen, my husband was standing right there with me, and did not know what I had done, nor did he know they were becoming a problem again.  Needless to say, I went through w/d again, and getting caught with the refill forged scared me to death.  W/d is so hard because it is not just your body feeling lousy, your mind plays head games with you all the way, too.  I have taken up to 14 Vic's per day at most, for 4 months straight.  W/d was very unsettling.  

Fast forward - I switched docs after getting caught forging the refill.  I had to, they would not provide me any more hydrocodone, which meant they were no use to me at that point.  How stupid I was.  I went to my new doc, one that my parents have been seeing for 10 years, and explained my history with the migraines, but left out the part about having a problem with Vic's.  I told him I did not want any narcotics, just the lowest strength of something to knock out the headaches.  Well, I ended up on Vicodin.  When the Phrenilin did not work, my doc was pushing Vicodin, and I gave in.  Which leads to where I am at now, on a decreasing taper of hydrocodone.  I failed the first taper.  He gave me a script for all I needed for the next month to taper 2 pills a week.  My stupid ass took them all within 2 weeks.  God, what mind games this stuff plays with your head!  I was honest with my doctor, I told my husband what was going on, and he went with me to the doc.  We worked it out to where my husband would hold my "supply" and only give me what I had allocated for each day in the morning.  This worked well enough until I asked for extra here and there because I was stressed, and my husband gave in.  I don't blame him at all, the choice was mine.  I made poor choices and left myself not enough of the meds to last to my next 10 day refill.  We've taken care of that and I now have the supply back, but I am so afraid that I won't be able to stay on track.  Right now I am on 5 7.5/500 per day, and we are decreasing one each week.  I want so badly to be rid of this monkey on my back, and it scares me more than anything to be a slave to a bottle of pills.  To look at that bottle and know that my good mood and positive outlook is locked up in there.  I made it 34 years without getting caught by this drug, why is it so hard for me to stop it now?  I am deathly afraid of w/d'ing again, mostly because of the mental issues.  I am usually a person who believes I can do anything, but going through w/d, I have all these feelings of self doubt and depression.  

I guess what I really need is just support, to be able to talk to people like me who have fallen into this trap.  I do not blame anyone for this, not my doctors, not my husband, I am a big girl and make my own decisions, but this is just so difficult.  I want to be successful this time, I do not want to fail again just to go through w/d again.  I know that I can never take this stuff after I am off of it.  It makes me feel so weak-willed, and I am not.  Like I said, the Vicoprofen gave me such feelings of happiness, of well-being, that I expected from my antidepressant (I take 20mg Lexapro).  I know the antidepressant works, my husband has noticed that I am not as down as before I started it, but I guess I just expected to be happy all the time on it.  I had never taken an antidepressant before last year.

Thank you for listening to me rattle on, and I am sorry to take up so much space, but I feel so much better for having posted this.  Thank you for having a place like this for support.

Rebecca      

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community