Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
32k Members

hydrocodone withdraw

I've been a heavy abuser for the last few years, and the week finally came, thanks to the new laws, where my contact doesn't have any. I'm looking at the last ten in my hand and know I'm not looking forward to the next week. I do have next week off thank god. I've wanted to quit for a long time and guess this is the time, unwillingly. I don't know how bad it will be, just hope I don't have to check myself into the hospital. I have animals to take care of. I'm almost too ashamed to go to my family doctor. I've got no family to talk to. How could I have been so stupid? Wish me luck
Hi  and welcome to the forum....well first off you got to want to do this for it to work  it is great you got some time off   get to the store and pick up a case of gatoraid bananas  epsom salt and rent a buch of movies  this is a lot like a case of the flu with insomna and anxzity  it is 1/3 phyical and 2/3 mental so be ready to fight it out on both fronts  a hot soak will help most of the symptoms  you may want to take several a day for the next few days  take some time to read some of the other posts  so you know what to expect  keep posting for support this forum was priceless for me when I detoxed  we all look forward to helping you.................Gnarly
Hey you,you came to the right place. Don't be scared,so many have gone through and are going through this right now. What was your mg's and how many a day? As long as your relatively a healthy person,there is no reason you can't do this at home. One things us addicts need to learn is being ashamed and embarresed will get us no where!! If you think this will be easier with your docs help then go see him/her! This is your life. Now you will want to stalk up on stuff to start your detox if you're doing it at home. Do you have help? A friend a spouse? You will want lots of funny books/movies to pass the time because you won't sleep (you might,most don't) Epsom salts for nice hot baths. Helps the rls and muscle aches. Imodium for tummy issues. Melatonin to help you sleep or valerian root. (Has to build up in your body to work,so start it now) and stick close to this site. I'd recommend aftercare as well. N/a AA,priest,church. Whatever works for you. Getting clean is the easy part,staying clean is the hard part.  
Haha gnarly I must have been typing well you were. Well she's got good advice twice now! :))
150-200 mg/day
Ok,that's a bit high. But totally doable. You can do this,it will be ok. Don't over think it and stress out,that will only make your anxiety worse.
Slight tapering 20 mg yest 10 today. Have 50 mg left. oing to get a restoril scrip filled tonight for sleep. Been in bed today reading
What would a doctor be likely to do to help with the withdrawal which I'm sure is coming? I can't go into Hosp as I live alone and have animals to care for.
There really isn't a lot a doc can do but give you meds to help with the discomfort. Just becareful because some drugs givin to help detox can be addictive. Only take a very short period. But it can be done without them. Normally all they'll do at the hospital is send you back home,unless your blood pressure has sky rocketed or some other health issue. How you feeling today?
OK today but have taken 15 mg. Sure wish I'd started tapering sooner. Gathering my gumption to hit the shower and go out to get a paper and dinner. My bp has been like 110/70 the last few weeks.I'm like 6'3" 250 lbs and 55 yrs old. Home recovering from joint surgery a month ago where is how all this **** started- the doc asking me if I wanted anything for the pain five years ago. Damn him and esp damn me for being such a fool. BTW, thanks all for caring. My mom died quite recently and I've got taking care of her estate and a pissed off sister hanging over my head too. Ah, life
You can do this. I also took about 160 mg a day for over ten years and no my doctor did not prescribe that much. I am at the end of my 4th day of cold turkey. It isn't fun and it isn't pleasant but it is doable. I have forced myself to keep my mind under control and it has made it a lot easier. No matter how bad I feel or how sick I think I am I force myself to get up and keep moving during the day. Even if it is just washing half a load of dishes or taking my dog for a walk. I too am doing this almost completely on my own. I have bad moments but they pass if you don't focus on them. Someone here told me I had to get out of my head and it really does work. No matter how awful you feel just keep telling yourself that it will be over soon enough and you will have your life back. I am here if you need anything.
200mg to 15mg and you're feeling "ok" that is awesome!! That's just a drop in the bucket compared to what you normally take. I'm sorry about your mum,and your sister buggin you. Keep us posted,someone will always be around to answer you.
Well, not totally OK, but coping. Real cold turkey starts Sunday assuming I take the last few tomorrow. Did get my shower, paper and dinner. Small victory. BTW, I'm male. How do I change my profile?
And qpatty, take strength in the fact that I wish I were in your shoes, four days out. Good luck to both of us
Should be able to go into your profile and edit it switch to male. I'll look and see on mine so I can describe that better. Lol
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your decision to quit!!!  You have gotten all good advice above!!  Also you can look up the Thomas Recipe on here...it gives some suggestions for supplements that can help with the WDs!  I too found that one of the best things for me during detox was getting up and moving around even when I didnt feel like it!  I took my dog on many walks during those days!!!  Stick close to this site....I found lots of comfort and reassurance here!!  Also it gave me alot to read!!!  I read through so many of the old posts just to know I wasnt alone!!!  Keep on posting and let us know how you are getting on!!!
Glad to hear your giving up that drug. I have been clean for a year now and it wasn't easy. My husband detoxed me and tapered me down off them. It was so hard and I will tell you that the anxiety is really bad and so is the leg cramps. I had a lot of support thru my husband. Just hang in there cause you can do this. It may take you several weeks to get thru this process and if your willing nothing will stand in the way of coming off this drug.  Do a lot of praying cause God hears our cries. Remember the blood of Jesus covers us and the devil cant enter where the blood lays
Hey bud,how are you feeling today?
Lousy with a capital L. Really though, thanks for asking. Cold turkey is a *****. At least my liver is getting a rest from all the apab. I don't drink quit that years ago when I started up with codine.
a do you have health insurance?  are you currently working?  If you are serious about stopping the madness?  you may want to look into a treatment center where you can go and get away.  With the fmla laws your job will be safe for 3 months.  I helped get a friend into a out of state treatment center.  It cost him nothing.  The flight, housing, and meals were all covered for as long as he was there.  He really needed to get out of his daily routine.  So far this has really helped him.  If you want to message me I can give you info on the center he used
Tom: he has animals and no one to take care of them,he also has next week off so he's trying the c/t because his supply has been cut off.

Deafwhitecat: hang in there bud,it does get better. Did you get some sleeping aids?make sure you're drinking lots of fluids,did you pick up imodium for your tummy and Epsom salts for hot baths to help your achy muscles and rls.  Do you have netflix or something similar? I know it helped me. Downloaded the whole series of The Walking Dead and watched it through detox. Lol. Usually funny comedies help. But I like zombies. Keep us posted,you're doing awesome!!
Well, gotta get out a bed to get some more cigarettes and feed the cats and get the mail and maybe eat something. Not up to driving out for a paper. I guess it helps knowing how many others have gone through this and come out being who they used to be. Drug free. If I make it maybe others will take heart that it can be done. The good old days of a couple beers after dinner sound pretty good now. What do I have, like 2-3 more days of feeling like ****?
Yes have ins but not the year at job for FMLA to kick in. Had shoulder surgery five weeks ago so can stretch time off for that if need be. Right now have at least one more week off for that. But the two physical therapy sessions killed me. Made it hurt much worse. If I had to go back to work Monday I would be freaking, but maybe a week from that is doable. One of my outside cats got mauled by a raccoon I think so I ponied up a hundred bucks for the vet for neutering and antibiotics. Funny now that I think of it, it was its right shoulder like me. Its in the basement till the antibiotics run out. My inside cat, DWC, hates it so I'll have to turn it loose in a few days. Too bad, but maybe it can make it on three legs. Nothing seemed broken, but I didn't have a couple hundred more bucks for an xray, and hundreds more for surgery. If I make it through this though, I can use all the money I would have spent on drugs on that. Happy thought.
Funny, I started having lower leg pains 8 months ago and didn't sleep for four days. Doc put me on restoril and gabapentin which helped a lot. Though the gaba caused sudden muscle weakness (like picking up a glass of water and dropping it) at the prescribed 4x daily dose so I cut back to one at bedtime. Wonder if the codine abuse was related to the leg pains? DWC just jumped in my lap purring, god bless her.
Those lower leg pains can be from your w/d's. You can get what's also called restless leg syndrome (rls) through your detox. That's where the Epsom salts in a hot bath help. I lived in the bath through detox,only time I felt better. Your lower back may ache as well. Sorry about kitty,cats are one of the toughest animals,I'm sure he will be just fine.
And it's usually around a week the really crappy feelings last. Diff with everyone though. Do you think you'll be one for trying aftercare? Maybe sitting through a na aa meeting? Because after this physical part ends the mental part usually kicks in. You've had opiates in your system Every day for a lot of years. So it plays havoc with our brains.
Hi Hon,   congrats on your journey.  I have been off 40 mgs Methadone 15 days today.  I huge difference for me this time is I told my M.D.   he gave me a short term amount of ativan and 1 months supply of Ensure drinks .  They will give you a variety of flavors.  Anti diarrhea meds also.  I was able to shower today.  Even brushed my teeth.  I will be here in bed going through the same thing you are so please contact me if you want.  I wouldn't mind the company
Actually, the leg pains were 8 months ago, like I said. Had some tests and they said I had some neurapathy going on. My q was whether the codine was a factor back then. Hoping the surgeon refills my scrip tomorrow, even though its only for 325/500's.c/t definitely *****. I'd rather taper. It took some willpower not to try for the refill Friday, let me tell you.
Just finished Neil Young's biography,'shakey'. 750 pages and started Friday night. Good to take your mind off things if you're a reader. Guess its time to dust off the Zane grays - have them all.
I just watched 4 seasons of Downton Abbey in 3 days Lol
Because of no appetite got  1 months supply prescription ensure nutrition drink and insurance pays
Hi   well if I where you I wouldent get that script  your doing great so far  just stick with it  the phyical part will be over in a couple of days  it is usually a 4 day deal then day 5 you start to feel better  keep your eyes on the prize...keep posting for support.....Gnarly
I'm with Gnarly....why try to get a new script filled when you've already dropped from 150-200 mg/day to 10-20 mg/day???

You've got this upcoming week off....and you should be close to being completely out of pills.  Why do this again?  It only gets worse..each and every time you put yourself thru it.  But some people have to find that out on their own.  We have to be truly ready to be COMPLETELY done with no reservations.  It's very individual how we "get to that point".  Do you think you are there yet?
Like the cowardly lion said in the wizard of oz...   'Please talk me out of it'
I won't talk you out of it. I am on day 6 and JUST starting to feel semi human. You got this. If you fill that script you will be right back to the beginning. Hang tough and just get through this once and for all. You will be so much happier next week at this time if you do. Prolonging the agony is just gonna make it worse. Bite the bullet, set your mind to it, and DO IT!. I'm still not feeling great but I went out for awhile with my daughters today and it was amazing. I can see the other side and soon you could too.
I'm no hero, going from 150mg to 0 in a few days, believe me. C/t wasn't my idea at all. With the new laws they are very hard to get. Only had one contact.
Hi hon:

Jumping in late here (as usual...sorry!).   I'm 53 and went from 40 mgs oxycodone a day for EIGHT FRICKIN' YEARS...and yup, it sux big time.  The first week is a mess, but then it gets a lot better.  

Just don't give in, and don't give up.  I wouldn't taper too much...it didn't work for me.  I went from my usual dose down to 10 mgs a day and though "what am I doing??" so I just jumped.  

Everyone is different; different constitutions, different tolerances, etc.   For me, I was shocked at how strong my w/d's were, but it was nothing I couldn't handle from home.

The first few days were pretty nasty; like having a terrible stomach flu.  Diarrhea, leg cramps.   Restless legs is awful, but wearing really tight knee socks (like the kind for diabetics) helped me a lot.

Hot baths are your friend.  So is ANY kind of exercise.   Force yourself to move as soon as you possibly can.

Water.  I can't say it enough.  H2O is essential...you can't wait until you're feeling thirsty.      You're a big guy, you should be drinking AT LEAST a gallon of water a day.  It will help tremendously.

You gotta just bite the bullet and get the drugs out of your system.  Then its 5-10 days of feeling like yuk.   It gets better---a lot better.  

Keep posting..tell us your symptoms; we got your back!

Hugs,
-Robin
Deafcat- Not only do I completely agree w/ my comrades, I want to add something: if you get that script, you may not stop. Trust me, from experience, you'll feel "better" after you get them and your brain will talk you out of it quitting until another 5 years goes by. You are playing w/ fire by even contemplating that, my friend.

Get into aftercare (meetings, etc.) None of us are exempt. Remove the drugs, then there is just us, and our lovely brains. Okay, cowardly lion?
Well, bad news is that i got the doc to refill the scrip for 60 of the five mgs. Good news is that I got out of bed after three days c/t caught up with lots of legal stuff for moms estate and my own bills. I've gone from 150 mg/day to 20. These have to last me so that I can go back to work. Cat doing better too. Have to find a family for a three legged sweet cat now. Tho hopefully it will recover to four legged status. My advice to anyone who is self medicating on a high dosage is that its all in your head. You can make it a much lower dosage to avoid total c/t till you can quit. Many here would say bad advice, go total c/t, and they're right. I'm still going to quit in the next few weeks, as I have no street contact, and the doc prob will stop filling scrip before too long. Thanks again to all the caring people who posted.
1