MedHelp.org will cease operations on May 31, 2024. It has been our pleasure to join you on your health journey for the past 30 years. For more info, click here.

hydrocodone withdrawal

Hope someone is out there in april 2008., seem all post's are several years earlier.
Anywy here goes...........I have been taking Vicodin for 10-12 years the last 10 have been 10/300mg. 10 pr day. 1 #10 valuim 4 time daily however the valuim has ben cut back to 1 per day until today I have taken 2.5 because Yesterday I took 1- 10/300 Vicodin early A.M. and 1- 7.5 @ about 2:P.M. No Vicodin since then. starting to get squirley, cold chills, numb lips and tounge, Diarrea, shakey, and really want to take a pill. I quit a very bad Alcohol problem 7 years this month and I want to go cold turkey as I did then ( started drinking at 8 years of age. stopped at 43yrs.)
The reason for the drugs, and others not mentioned, are for Fibramylgia diagnoses I have never abused the drugs or sold them they helped with the REAL PAIN, I just want to not be dependent on a Dr. to limit my life W/drugs.
Just wanted to know what to expect W/ cold turkey approach.

I really hope someone is out there to answer this please.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
The w/d's are tough but you can make it through them. Eat bananas, take small walks, soak in a hot bath with Epsom Salts and post, post, post. This forum saved me more times than I can say. I've been clean for over 30 days from a nasty Oxy habit and it took me about a week to feel better, however my dosage was much higher than yours. I'm sending you a PM!!
Helpful - 0
Don't be afraid of the withdrawals.  They are pleasant, but they are a small step in the big picture of getting clean.  If you can get through day 3, then day 5, you'll start feeling better and better.  It's a continuing process but those killer wds only last a few days; with me it was a week but I was ct from a heavy oxy habit.
I have real pain too, but I've found out that I can handle more than I thought I could.  And it's so much better to have a life that doesn't revolve around drugs.
Do your research, make your plan, and then do it.  We'll help.  There's lots of support and encouragment here.
Good luck to you,
Yoda
Helpful - 0
IT'S HARD COMING OFF O PILLS COLD TURKEY,I HAVE CAME OFF XANAXS,LORCETS,ALSO OXYS COLD TURKEY.IT'S THE HARDEST THING YOU WILL PROBABLY HAVE TO DO.THE WITHDRAWS ARE A KILLER.BELIEVE ME I HAVE FAITH IN YOU AND YOU CAN DO IT.TO BE HONEST IT CAN BE HELL,BUT YOU JUST GOT TO FIGHT THE URGES AND THAT'S HARD.I LEARNED IN REHAB YEARS AGO,YOU HAVE TO TAKE ONE DAY AT A TIME.JUST TRY TO THINK OF OTHER THINGS,TRY TO NOT THINK OF THE PILLS,AND THAT'S VERY HARD SOMETIMES.BELIEVE ME I KNOW .I WANT TO WISH YOU LUCK AND HANG IN THERE,YOU ARE FIGHTING THE BIGGEST BATTLE THAT WILL EVER HAVE TOO DO!!!IF IF I CAN HELP IN ANY WAY LET ME.
Helpful - 0
you are already experiencing the w/ds.  the worst days for most are 3-4.  around day 7 things will slowly get better.  check the health pages for the thomas recipe for vitamins and aminos that help a lot.  soak in hot bath with epsom salt it helps too.  eat bananas.  and exercixe as soon as possible.  take short walks to start.  it makes a huge difference.  good luck and if i can help in any way let me know.
cathy
Helpful - 0
I know you want to go cold turkey but after so many years do you think it might be wise to get help from your doc.  Suboxone is really supposed to help with recovery from vicodin. I just starting taking it at a small dose and have felt OK on day 2.  I have gone ct before and after tapering as I did over the last week or so I would have been nuts by now.  
Helpful - 0
Withdrawals will be felt physically for 5-7 days but everyone is different...go to the healtho pages and get the vitamin protocols there...that is alot of vicoden that your doctor presribed for you daily,,,but there are many who took more and have gone CT,,,it is doable..keep posting
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community