is this possible?

My is 48 and as long as i have remembered she has been an alcoholic.  Growing up with her was anything but pleasant, she was extremly abusive to me for a long amount of time.  I recently had a conversation with her, recallin some of my childhood memories ex. her dragging me from the head of my hair and slammin me into the wall, and when i stated it to her she quickly replied saying i was a lier and was making stuff up.  I am very confused at  why something that went on for years and years she don't recall? is this a mental problem or is it a result from the abuse of alcohole?  why and how could this happen or could it? is it treatable?  she had mentioned to me about two years ago that she had a bad dream with the above details in it, i explained to her it was not a bad dream but reality.  I asked her recently about that conversation 2 years ago and she doen't recall it either?  Please help me understand this!
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
was suppost to say :My MOM is 48 and as long as i have remembered she has been an alcoholic.  Growing up with her was anything but pleasant, she was extremly abusive to me for a long amount of time.  I recently had a conversation with her, recallin some of my childhood memories ex. her dragging me from the head of my hair and slammin me into the wall, and when i stated it to her she quickly replied saying i was a lier and was making stuff up.  I am very confused at  why something that went on for years and years she don't recall? is this a mental problem or is it a result from the abuse of alcohole?  why and how could this happen or could it? is it treatable?  she had mentioned to me about two years ago that she had a bad dream with the above details in it, i explained to her it was not a bad dream but reality.  I asked her recently about that conversation 2 years ago and she doen't recall it either?  Please help me understand this!
Helpful - 0
It's not uncommon at all, for alcoholics to not remember what they've done while juiced-up, and some people do become violent when drunk. So sorry you've had to live like this. Perhaps you could look into some Al-Anon meetings. These are meetings for family members of alcoholics. You can learn a lot about your Mom's problem, it's effect on you and how to deal with it. It could really help you since you will probably have issues to deal with as a result of her abuse and drinking.
Good luck to you.
Helpful - 0
P.S. These meetings are free and are held everywhere at all different times. Do a search on the internet for AlAnon and find some meetings near you.
Helpful - 0
for me ,alcoholics are the worst to try to deal with,especially when drunk.It leaves you feeling alone,angry,sorry for the person and disgusted,all at once!!.I agree with thelast 2 posts,it really does help to go to those meetings..Remember-alcoholics and addicts will lie,cheat ,steal for their "stuff"its the nature of the beast.....Not your fault...best wishes for you and dear old mom.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community