Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

is this possible?

My is 48 and as long as i have remembered she has been an alcoholic.  Growing up with her was anything but pleasant, she was extremly abusive to me for a long amount of time.  I recently had a conversation with her, recallin some of my childhood memories ex. her dragging me from the head of my hair and slammin me into the wall, and when i stated it to her she quickly replied saying i was a lier and was making stuff up.  I am very confused at  why something that went on for years and years she don't recall? is this a mental problem or is it a result from the abuse of alcohole?  why and how could this happen or could it? is it treatable?  she had mentioned to me about two years ago that she had a bad dream with the above details in it, i explained to her it was not a bad dream but reality.  I asked her recently about that conversation 2 years ago and she doen't recall it either?  Please help me understand this!
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
was suppost to say :My MOM is 48 and as long as i have remembered she has been an alcoholic.  Growing up with her was anything but pleasant, she was extremly abusive to me for a long amount of time.  I recently had a conversation with her, recallin some of my childhood memories ex. her dragging me from the head of my hair and slammin me into the wall, and when i stated it to her she quickly replied saying i was a lier and was making stuff up.  I am very confused at  why something that went on for years and years she don't recall? is this a mental problem or is it a result from the abuse of alcohole?  why and how could this happen or could it? is it treatable?  she had mentioned to me about two years ago that she had a bad dream with the above details in it, i explained to her it was not a bad dream but reality.  I asked her recently about that conversation 2 years ago and she doen't recall it either?  Please help me understand this!
Helpful - 0
306455 tn?1288862071
It's not uncommon at all, for alcoholics to not remember what they've done while juiced-up, and some people do become violent when drunk. So sorry you've had to live like this. Perhaps you could look into some Al-Anon meetings. These are meetings for family members of alcoholics. You can learn a lot about your Mom's problem, it's effect on you and how to deal with it. It could really help you since you will probably have issues to deal with as a result of her abuse and drinking.
Good luck to you.
Helpful - 0
306455 tn?1288862071
P.S. These meetings are free and are held everywhere at all different times. Do a search on the internet for AlAnon and find some meetings near you.
Helpful - 0
for me ,alcoholics are the worst to try to deal with,especially when drunk.It leaves you feeling alone,angry,sorry for the person and disgusted,all at once!!.I agree with thelast 2 posts,it really does help to go to those meetings..Remember-alcoholics and addicts will lie,cheat ,steal for their "stuff"its the nature of the beast.....Not your fault...best wishes for you and dear old mom.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.