Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
32k Members

percocet and pregnancy

I am 25 weeks pregnant and I am taking percocet 3-4 times a day for a severe back injury....I take them because i need them and never to get high.....My ob said not to discontinue, i was just wondering if anyone took this med while pregnant and Is it 100% my baby will be born addictede?
many woman take these meds for pain while pregnant and it is safer for the baby to not go through detox than it is to stay on the meds and have the docs deal with any minimal discomfort the baby may have after delivery. It is not 100% that the baby will be addicted..
tHAN YOU SO MUCH FOR A REPLY.....mY dR DID TELL ME THAT...HE SAID HES SEEN MANY WOMEN TSAKING THIS WHILE PREG AND HE WOULD RATHER DEAL WITH THE BABY BEING A LITTLE UNCOMFORTABLE THEN ME TO STOP AND WITHDRW...ANYONE ELSE HERE TAKE THIS MED WHILE PREG IF SO PLEASE WRITE
hi
i took percocet and tylenol 3 all through my pregnancy for back, migraine and a broken tailbone. I can't guarantee your baby won't be addicted, but it is highly unlikely at 3-4/day.
I just gave birth three weeks ago and only took tylenol 2 the last few days before I went into labour 1 week early (nothing to do with any drugs, baby just came at 39 weeks), anyway my son was born totally fine, agpar scores of 9 (excellent) with ZERO  withdrawal symptoms. your OB  is right: keep taking them if you need them. I joined a form on www.babycenter.com under bulletin boards - chronic conditions and talked to over 20 women in the same boat. not ONE of us had problems with labour or the baby. my baby is amazing now...cries very little and is very good natured. I can't even imagine that he had any kind of withdrawals!
don't worry yourself...and if you are, maybe try to cut down to two a day, although i don't thik that's necc.
good luck!
I would highly suggest following their advice and tapering down to the 4 per day you are prescribed. The more you take the higher the chances you baby will suffer withdrawl symptoms..small amounts when needed are said to be ok for the baby.. large amounts I would think would change the situation. 8-10 of the 7.5 is alot of acetiminiphin to be consuming anyway... Its time to taper down to a reasonable amount..
Thanks for responding I am 16 weeks I found out at about 6 weeks my doctors had me on morphine 100mg and hydro 10mg now there giving me 7.5 4 times a day I am so worried I actually take about 8 to 10 a day. They say the baby is doing great and as long as I cut back or quit toward the end the baby wont be addicted I am  still very concerned about the baby being slow I have a 4 year old who is  very advanced and I needed nothing while I was pregnant with her. My doctors ofcourse dont know I actually take 8 to 10.
I sure hope that I will be able to there is to much at risk if I cant. I start out every day trying but the pain is intolerable. They tell me the biggest problem with the Tylenol is my liver its not so much me i am worried about right now.