Aa
A
A
A
Close
Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
32k Members

samE and L-Tyrosine?

What's the difference between these two? Anyone have a preference of what helps? I saw in the Thomas Recipe to go with L-Tyrosine, but saw some posts about same.
11 Responses
3197167 tn?1348972206
First and foremost....it's really important to know you shouldn't take either of them if you are on an anti-depressant already.  You should clear it with your dr for interactions, etc. depending on the "type" of anti-depressant you are already on.

Simply put....they can both "be" mood enhancers.  L-Tyrosine is used more frequently EARLY in recovery.  And SAM-E later.  Not to say that some haven't found SAM-E beneficial in early detox/recovery.

The thing about L-Tyrosine is you MUST take it in the morning on an empty stomach.  It can enhance alertness and focus.  It is used more for energy levels where SAM-E is used more as a mood enhancer.
That's NOT all inclusive info.  Just trying to keep it as simple as possible.

If you take high doses...or too much L-Tyrosine you can be overstimulated, restless, anxious, have a rapid heart beat and experience insomnia.
Those are ALL things we DON'T want in early recovery....but we desperately want some energy.  That's why early morning on an empty stomach works best. (and beginning at a low dose at first)

The majority of SAM-E products promote themselves as being a mood enhancer.  However, in my long research after being on an antidepressant of one kind or another for 12 yrs....I was drawn to the SAM-E for several reasons.  My brand is "Doctor's Best" that I get at my health food store.  This particular forumulation says the following:  enhances mood and neural function; promotes joint comfort and mobility; and supports liver health and detoxification.
SAM-E has also been successfully used for those with osteoarthritis, depression, anxiety, fibromyalgia, bursitis, and many more conditions.

Hope I kept that simple enough...I tried awful darn hard...LOL

The most important thing to remember is NOT to take either of them (or 5HTP or St. John's Wort) if you are currently taking an antidpressant unless you check out interactions first.  Hope that helps you some~
2107676 tn?1388977459
Amazing Connie as usual.
What about Rhodiola?  
Clean, I'm back on amitriptyline. This will be my second night. Will it hurt to take sam-e in the mornings? I took one this morning and I have felt terrible.  It's worse coming off ambien this time, That's why I taking the amitriptyline. I didn't sleep much last night and I doze on and off all day. I know that's not good if I want to sleep tonight,. Just couldn't keep my eyes open
5986700 tn?1380794980
Thankyou Darlin', I (we) get so much from you.  Perfect information treasure. squeezes. :o}
5986700 tn?1380794980
I take all three, l-tyrosine, 5htp and sam-e.......have never felt this good on my wellbutrin.......just my two squeeks.
3176864 tn?1391558673
I have been looking into Sam E

What dosage do you suggest taking?  Have you seen a improvement in mood or suffered any side effects?
Have an Answer?
Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333897642
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.