Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

scared and need advice

I usualy post on some of the other forums and was browsing and found this forum. Ok. about a month ago I was having abdominal pain. Long story short, had a hysterectomy this last monday. A month ago my Dr. put me on oxycodone for the pain. Well a few days ago my pain was feeling better so I decided to stop taking my meds. Well the next night I started having these really bad withdrawl symptoms. Scared me to death because I didn't know what was going on. My sister had gone through it and took one look at me and saw what was going on. So she had me get back on the pills and I'm feeling better. I made an app. with my Dr. on monday to get some help getting off these meds. I have heard that I have some options. Go cold turkey and just let it get out of my system, (I would rather die than do that) or go cold turkey and take some meds to help with the withdrawl symtoms. How well do they really work? I'm scared to feel those withdrawl feelings ever again. Or I could go into the hospital and they can help me, which I don't want to do. Or I could just slowly wean myself off of them, but I heard that can take a long time. what is the best way to do this? I don't think I could handle feeling those withdrawl feelings again. I'm scared that I actualy let this happen and that I won't be able to get off of these. I had no idea that I was addicted, otherwise I wouldn't have just stopped taking them. Can anybody help me? I'm so scared of what is going to happen to me!
Hi hon,
Yeah those withdrawals are  real Son of b.
Just do it. My withdrawals involved 3 months of abuse and I turned the corner 4 DAYS LATER afte my last pill.

I think the best adcice I can give you is go get a good number of klonopin from your doc (before you start detox), explain to him/her what is goin on and be honest. The is also a withdrawal drug out there (forget the name) but the Klonopin or any generic form will get rid off the anxiety. DO NOT DECIDE TO STAY ON THE PAIN PILLS, they will ruin you. Every bit of you.
Get klonopin or xanax or valium.Take frequent hot baths, use niquil to sleeep. It will be a rough ride, but given your length of adiction it will be pretty easy.

Take tons of hot baths. 5 day if you have to, bubbles or epsom salt. Just get rid of the monkey or it WILL eat you.
I love pain pills and I thank god every day that I made it through the withdrawal.

Stay focused and stay clean no matter how bad ya feel the first few days, it gets better quick. Get mad at the pills and the part of your mind that wants them.
nalla,
I know more about your situation and posted to you on the women's forum. The above poster is trying to help you but given your circumstances, her advice really doesn't apply to you. You do NOT have a Monkey on your back. You JUST had surgery! You are NOT expected to live in pain or to go cold turkey. The doctor will guide you, and take care of you. You are NOT a junky hooked on pain pills!!! You have been through so much pain in the past weeks that you have managed with medications given to you by your doctor. Nalla, you are NOT your sister.
I am so worried that you are thinking so poorly of yourself.
--J
WHoah,
please let me clarirify. I am in no way calling her a junky. Just try to to keep that from ever happening. Withdrawals are not fun and I just wanted her to be prepared. If it sounded like I was scaring her or ridiculing here, I was not, I just want her to know that she can do this. Yes surgury makes it difficult. My addiction was due to my own bad choices. She is thinking right and as for you who responded to help as well I agree. It is just been a little over a week since I withdrew and I know exactly what I needded and begged for. No I am not doc. But It wasn't fun and I didn't need a PHD to figure that out. I am sure she will be fine. She just sounded scared and I didn't mean to put any labels on her. I am just trying to help as best I know considering how I felt and what I know helped me. Sorry if there was any thing I wrote that discouraged or insulted you. You can do it. And yes seek a doc's advice with open honesty, it is always the best plan.
Yes, I was thinking very poorly about myself and saw myself as my sister. But reading what you and all the others on the other forum has really helped me. I don't take the pills to get high. My sister loves the high.I actualy HATED that part of the pills. But seeing everythng that my family has gone through, it really freaked me out. Your words really helped me. It's hard to see things clearly when you are depressed and going through everything that I am and have gone through. So thank you for clearing my eyes! :))
I will be seeing my Dr. tomorrow and I'm sure we will come up with a goog plan to help me get off these.
I still feel a little ashamed, but I keep telling myself that I didn't do it on purpose and didn't do it for the high...just the pain. I posted again a few min ago on the womans forum thanking everybody and you were one of them. Just wanted to let you know that. I will keep you posted with everything. But i will probably stay over on the womans forum. Thank you again. I think without you all I would have gotten myself into more of a serious depression and would just have gone down hill from there. So thank you!!
Don't worry, there was no offence taken. I agree that I am not "addicted" but have become "dependant" on these pills,It took a lot of people to get me to see that! and I actualy hate the high that the pills give me. But you are right, I am afraid of the withdrawls that I will be having. I'm hoping that my Dr. and I can find the best way to help me get through this. Thankfully it hasn;t been that long, but it's still going to be hard.
Thank you for replying and trying to help. it means a lot. I wish you well with everything that you are going through and am sorry you are going through it. I wish you all the best in your recovery!!
Nalla,
I am hoping you come back over here and see this, I can't figure out what happened to your other posts on the Women's forum. They just disappeared, so I was worried and peaked over here and saw you had replied.
I hope this finds you well and feeling better. I am glad if I helpped you. And I wasn't trying to be mean to the poster that also tried to help, I just didn't want her post to convince you that you had some sort of drug problem.
It is so wierd because yesterday was the first time I came to this forum. There was nothing new on the women's so I was just looking around and then saw your post here.
My mom died of alcoholism and I watched the addiction. I was just scared for you knowing all the stuff you have been through and then to be having such negative thoughts about yourself. I am so glad that you are feeling better and seeing the doc soon.
Take care and I hope to see you soon on the Women's forum.
--J
no offense taken, withdrawal is a touchy subject and addiction is a hard topic to discuss openly. But this forum is good spot to do it.
I know, I went over to the womans forum and my post was gone!?? I don't know why. But thank you for your words...they helped me more than you know. I have to keep telling myself that I didn't do this and I'm not like my sister. I just got done posting over on the womans forum and talked about my Dr. app today. We have come up with a plan to slowly wean me off of them. It's going to take awhile sinse I was on a very high dose, but I chose not to go cold turkey. I just didnt think I could handle that. We will see how it turns out. I don't feel that I have much fight left in me with everything that is going on. This past month has been a huge mess and have been going downhill. I'm trying to catch up emotionaly you know? My Dr. sat with me and talked with me and told me that I am strong and can do this. I just need the support. I just feel so emotionaly drained. I'm still healing from the hyst. dealing with these pill issues and mourning the hyst...the list just goes on and on. I'm so tired and just want to be normal again. I know I will get there. Even if I don't believe it, I need to just keep telling myself that.....if not for me, for my kids. I'm blessed that I have you guys there for me. Thanks.
I can't wait to get back to normal and have all you guys see the real me, you know?!
Is everythng going well with you?
I saw your post about the doctor visit and I am so glad you have a compassionate doc that listens and is taking the right steps to get you straightened out. I have used the Cymbalta before. It is a good anti-depressant and was given to me for the depression that goes with chronic pain. It was working pretty well but then I started getting sick, as soon as I stopped taking it, the flu symptoms went away. Doc concluded that I was allergic so... Now I don't take any anti-depressants but I do take pain meds. Low doses though. The pain is still significant but I refuse to up my doses.
I wish I could help you with the pain you are dealing with from the hyst. but I haven't had one and can only imagine what it must be like for you. And the way you speak of loss for the children you won't have makes perfect sense. Maybe there is a support group?? Well I guess MH IS a support group huh?
I'm headed over to the women's forum now. Just wanted to check in with you here.
Thanks for asking how I am. That is so sweet considering all that you are going thru. If your like me, it helps to help.
But also like you, I could write a book about everything going on, LOL.
Later Gator--J
Nalla,
I'll keep this short and hope it doesn't disappear.

I wish you the very best, and if I don't respond to you any more, know it's not for lack of caring.  It seems that any post I write gets pulled.  I hope you see this before it's gone. I don't want your posts to continually get pulled, so I'll try not to post to you anymore.
Hang in there.  You can do it.  Hope you recover quickly from your surgery, and get this problem solved soon.

All the best,
me
Nalla...good luck, and please let us know how you are doing.
Nalla - It sounds like you're stronger than you're giving yourself credit.  You've had a difficult surgery and a difficult recovery.  It sounds like you have a great doctor - that has to be a huge relief!  Good luck and keep posting to us :)
I've had many surgeries over the years, one being a hysterectomy quite a few years ago. I can assure you that you are expecting way too much of yourself. I was on pain meds off and on for at least 3 months after each surgery!
Give yourself a chance to heal, is can be a slow process and everyone recovers in a different time frame.  If you have never been an addict, a surgury probably won't make you one.

For almost 40 years I've taken pain meds (Fiorinal/Fioricet) for a lifetime of migraines, I am addicted but am under a doctors care. He will only give me a certain amount and I have to use them accordingly..stretching 30 pills over a month, it is very hard to do. But I don't like them and think I am building up an allergy to them, I've been having breathing problems and burning inside my body. So I'm trying to pull myself away from my dependancy all the time wondering what I will take for the next headache/migraine!  
On this Site I have learned of some meds to help pull me off, though my doctor has not offered them to me, I will discuss some of them with him at my next visit.
Hang in and good luck to you, Nala
nalla
four days of ickyness is nothing copared to what oxy can do to your life there was good advice about the nerve pills they do help out but dont stay on them maybe two weeks worth would be pushing it after about a week wean yourself away from them and life is good after that .....went from takeeing a major dose of it for four years for migrains and severe cluster headachs from brain tumours no more tumours thank god but i ended up with a addiction ...do yurself a big favor get off them being in pain is one thing and haveing to take something but wtching you life go up in smoke is worse because of a pill ....i send you good thoughts and pray for you to have streght good luck god bless
Just do it. Be advised that after using oxycodone for a while you will have quite a high dose. If you stop using it for two months, and start again with the previous dose you have a probability of going into respiratory arrest. That's how the drug got a bad rep. It's a good short-term pain drug, but has a legal status that puts you in the same category as a child-molester. It is less harmful than Percocet, that's for sure. If you use oxycodone you should have narcan available in the house, or naltrexane, which instantly reverses the affects. Naloxone hydrochloride, while not a controlled substance and it does NOT produce a high, is unfortunately very difficult to persuade a physician to prescribe. Years ago, in the hospital where I worked young interns were using nalaxone because it had the effect of viagra.
CAREGIVER222 WHERE ARE YOU OBTAINING THIS INFO ON OXYCODONE HCL FROM-YOU ARE SOOOOO MISLED. YES I'M MED STUDENT(CHECK OUT THE METABOLIZATION OF THIS MED).IT'S NOT PSYCHOLOGICALLY HEALTHY FOR SUCH ADVICE TO BE THROWN AROUND TOT HOSE WHO ARE NAIVE/ AND GOING THROUGH W/D..... THINK..... RESEARCH OXCONTIN AT PHARMACOLOGY WEB...
FOR THE PATIENT IN WITHDRAWAL-IGNORE THE XANAX OFFER-NO..NO...NO..DO SEE YOUR M.D AND TRY AND GET CLONODINE CATAPRESS AND PHENERGAN(YOU'VE PROBABLY ALREADY GOT POST-OP)-IT'S NOT GOING TO BE THAT HARD, FOR YOU HAVE BEEN TAKING FOR PAIN SO PLEASURE CENTER IN BRAIN NOT STIMULATED THAT MUCH...3 DAYS MAX FOR MAJOR ISSUES-POSSIBLY SOME LOOSE BOWELS, DILATED PUPILS, RUNNY NOSE, AND MIN. INSOMNIA...  I HOPE THIS GOES WELL-BEST WISHES!
As for references:

(1) Journal of Forensic Science 2005, Jan;50(1) 192-195 title: "175 deaths involving oxycodone in Palm Beach County".

(2) "Oxycodone deaths" J. Anal toxicology 2004 Oct; 28(7) 616-24

(3) "Oxycodone deaths" J. Anal toxicology Mar 2003; 21(2) 57-67

I have about 160 other references should you be interested.
IN CONJUNCTION W/ WHAT OTHER TOXINS? YES I AM VERY FAMILIAR WITH PURDUE PHARMA AND THE DEATHS... CHECK OUT THE PRE-EXISTING ISSUES... IV,PO,NASAL,IM,SUBQ????? THIS WOULD HAVE A GREAT DEAL TO CONTRIBUTE AS A FACTOR... I AM NOT THE BIGGEST FAN OF OC'S
HOWEVER WHEN MEDICALLY INDICATED THEY CAN BE VERY EFFECTIVE!!??I HOPE YOU DON'T THINK I'M A JERK-I JUST HAVE STRONG OPINIONS W/ A GREAT AMOUNT OF SUPPORT!
TAKE CARE
Believe it or not I believe oxycodone has a place in medicine and I strongly disapprove of the prosecution and tracking of physicians for using it to treat chronic pain. I am NOT "anti-oxycodone". I am not opposed to a patient taking it to relieve chronic pain. I am oppossed to the DEA getting involved in the practice of medicine. That being said, a patient taking oxycodone for the furst time may experience great pain relief at 5 mg. After an extended period they may require 40 mg for the same effect. The patients are not necessarily taking the drug to "get high". What I am cautioning is that after a period of extended withdrawel, the receptor sites for oxycodone seem to "clear". And this drug does cause respiratory depression. If you have been off this drug for an extended period start again with a very low dose, and continue the low dose for a few days until you are sure you can handle it. That is my only point. No matter what advice physicians say, patients often take oxycodone with alcohol/valium etc. I am  not going to moralize. I have had spinal injuries that have caused me so much pain that I considered taking my life about every other hour. So I know what pain is and have used oxycodone and morphine for short periods of time, under prescription, while hospitalized. Spare me the talk about the "pain" of withdrawel. Been there. Done that.