Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
32k Members

shooting drugs

can someone please tell me what 'skin popping' is??
thanks
To Tim:  A method of injecting drugs other than the intravenous route.
I'm sorry to interupt this thread, but I have a question. Why do I get so tired if I take a Hydrocodone and I eat something two hours later?  It's like I completly crash as soon as the food hits my stomach??? Anybody know?
To CB,   Same thing happens to me.  Sometimes food interferes with the action/absorbtion of the drug.  I was prescribed a new sleeping med after my mom died and if you eat anything that is high in fat just before or after taking the medicine then it will not be absorbed properly. When I was actively using I never ate much,  if i did it would immediately kill my buzz. take care  cindi
Sorry for interrupting a thread, but what happened to all the posts that were here earlier today regarding the DEA????  I asked a question in reply to the posts written about the DEA and when I came back an hour later, my questions and all the preceeding posts were gone.  What is that all about?
what did you ask about them? They have the power to arbitrarily ruin each and every one of our lives (and seem to excercise it frequently).

send me the question at

***@****

I don't have any special knowledge about them, other than that they consider us insects not worth being allowed to live. But, what the hell. What did you ask?

tom

I am a chronic pain patient.  I take about 20 or 30 Lortab 7.5 in a two week period.  I also have Darvocet to take when the pain is not as bad. It started in Sept. when I went to my family Dr. who sent me to a specialist.  I have had several surgeries for this and he felt it would be moot to do another surgery.  He referred me to a Chronic Pain Dr.  I have an appointment with him on Friday.  It took 6 weeks to get in to see him.  During that time, I went to another specialist to get a second opinion and to see if she could do a surgery as I can have about 2 years pain free after surgery.  She tried several things also and agreed with the first doctors opinion about another surgery not being a good thing to do.  This has been since September so I have been taking the pain meds since then.  I have used several different pharmacies, three to be exact, but that depends on where I am at when I get them filled.  I go to my grocery store pharmacy if I need to pick up a few things while the meds are being filled.  If not, I go through a pharmacy that has a drive through depending on which one has the shorter line.  They are all three right here around my home.  Everyone in each of the three pharmacies knows me. People were saying in the other posts that were removed today, that the DEA considers this bad behavior and can arrest me for taking the narcotics, having 3 doctors, one family 2 specialists and for using 3 different drug stores.  There were about 6 or 7 posts talking about this and they are now all gone for some reason.  I think that is odd.  
  Now, I am afraid to go to the pain doc because If he gives me another more pills I will be afraid to get them filled.  My pain is excruciating, but I would rather live in pain, than go to jail. I called a pharmacist here in town and he laughed when I told him I was worried about it.  He said as long as I take them as directed and they are prescribed by a Dr. I have nothing to worry about.  My insurance has paid for all of my scripts, because I never felt I had anything to hide. Anyway, this post will probably disappear too!
your friend is right. Have the pain prescription filled at the same pharmacy that filled the prescriptions written by the same doctor. You have the right to use as many pharmacies as you bloody well please. What the DEA looks for are people that appear to be seeing multiple doctors for the same thing, with no coordination or referrals between any of these doctors or specialists, with the clear intent of keeping each doctor ignorant of the other's involvement. As long as you are seeing these various doctors with their mutual knowledge and blessing, please don't suffer needlessly out of fear of the fascist DEA bastards. You've done nothing wrong because you've been open and honest with all the professionals involved in your case. It's quite common, especially when surgery enters the picture, for a number of different doctors to wind up involved in your case. Get the rx filled and get out of pain. Do it now. You've suffered enough already!
Thanks Tom, I feel a little bit better about it now.  The way everyone who posted on the subject earlier was talking, I was afraid the DEA had a warrant out for me already. How do they have a right to arrest someone who has ligitimate scripts from Drs?  Thanks again!

.
I ,too, have noticed some posts are missing. Can the DEA trace our posts to us and use this as some kind of evidence? I'm not trying to sound paranoid, but I have poured out my heart with stories no one else even knows about. What is up with "The Pill Box" Believe me, I'm just interested because I read about it where some guy got pills (vicodin) through the mail after a dr consult over the phone. I am doing just fine with my MMT but can't help what interests me. Talk about the DEA,Why wouldn't they be all over that?
I don't know how true this is but I have heard the DEA monitors this site and others like it.  I have also heard that if they really wanted to get shitty all they have to do is subpeona the people that run this site and trace us back to our screennames and then our accounts. but like I said before, i don't know how true this is.  Does anybody know anything about that?   Cindi
you're welcome. This life of ours provides all the pain we need, thank you very much, without the DEA inventing new sources of anguish. The key to handling the DEA, is openess with all the medical professionals involved in your case. As long as they all are aware of the respective roles and have at least a reasonable understanding of what meds you're getting from whom, you have nothing to worry about. For god's sake, you didn't ask to get ill and suffer pain. Believe me, the DEA and their local sherrif's depatment counterparts are pretty good at distinguishing between "professional" doctor shoppers (like I used to be), and patients that, through no fault of their own, have simply wound up with a lot of specialists who occassionally cross-prescribe without meaning to. One big caveat: If you notice one pharmacist out of all the ones you're using that seems to always be questioning you and calling your doctor for confirmations, drop that sucker and the pharmacy he works for in a hurry. In my checkered career as an rx addict, I've met up with many pharmacists who clearly wantd to be cops or drug agents and somehow wound up in pharmacy school. They're easy to spot. When you do, don't try to win them over. Drop them AND the pharmacy chain they work for. Get as far from them as possible.
I wouldn't lose sleep over the DEA when it comes to our personal stories of addiction (you should hear some of their agent's stories of drug addiction -- their undercover operatives are all raving drug addicts). But outfits like The Pill Box are another matter. Ask yourself, "How can it be legal for me to logon to a site, "chat-room it up" with someone claiming to be an MD, and then order Schedule III Contolled narcotics(Vics) sight unseen? That I assure you, the DEA is very interested in and I wouldn't be surprised if the mediators of this site delete those references. After all, they could conceivably be charged with promoting the pill box by allowing the posts to stay up. When it sounds too good to be true, baby, it is. Simple as that.

As far as lurid personal stories of addiction go, as long as you don't include real pharmacies and real doctors, if worse came to worse, you could claim to be just bragging to the rest of us, trying to sound like "an old hand" or something to that effect. The first time I got popped for calling in Darvon scripts, I quickly changed my story to my cell mates to make it Demerol just to impress them so as not to sound like such a wuss!

Remember, it isn't the DEA that deletes posts, it's the moderators who work with the Harvard outfit that provides this site. If you're worried, perhaps an "open letter" to the moderators might help ease your mind.

Don't worry, we're litttle fish in a great big murkey ocean of heroin dealers, pharmacy burglers and holdup men, and triplicate pad stealer/forgers that the DEA is MUCH more intereted in than pissants like you and me.

Gina, have you by any chance been smoking any pot to enhance your high? I stopped smoking precisely because I'd get stoned and worry about someone knocking on my door and leading me away. And I used to have such fun smoking that old, weak stuff -- laughing, eating bags of Chips a'Hoy cookies and making monkey love with my lady. What ever happened to those days? How did it all get so damn serious? Can't we have any fun any more?
......You are hilarious!.....Very Witty.  I must confess, I do have an addiction:  "this website!" Now, as for DEA......Why dont they go after the real criminals.  There should be a standard: Injury/illness + surgury + medication= No investigation...Seems pretty simple to me.  Leave us the hell alone I say! (:
Hi MaryAnn,  Haven't gotten any e-mail from you and then i saw the post.  i agree with tom,  good idea about the TalwinNX.  My husband is in recovery and a really chronic pain person.  He is now on Talwin NX and it is an oldie but goodie.  It has really helped his pain and has no desire to use or anything like that.  Try checkin it out it may be worth something to you    take care    Cindi
yyou are quite right in what you say about the DEA's subpoena power to track us al down if they chose to. Of course, a judge has to approve the subpoena, not that that is much comfort, but there still has to be probable cause of some kind. I think the anecdotal stuff most of us post is not of much interest to the inquisitors at the DEA. I think they're more interested in posts advising people how to cop drugs from mexico or forge prescriptions or double-doctor. All those "prince of darkness" evil threats to the apple-cheeked wholesomeness that the crew cut missionaries at the DEA abhor. I have heard from some reliable sources that DEA operatives, in order to function undercover in the drug world, have to have considerable tolerances to drugs like cocaine and heroin, otherwise they'd die when the seller lays out his product during a sale, and invites the operative to sample the wares. Imagine being Dudley DoRight and having a monster line of coke laid out before you by someone working for Pablo Escobar, and cheerfully invited to "enjoy"? If you decline, you're dead. And if you do the lines with no previous tolerance to the drug, your just as dead. Think about it. Everybody is using, even the ones that are supposed to be "defending" us from the South American or Sicilian scourge. The engine that drives this world of ours, from the time we drag ourselves out of bed to lights out at the end of the day, that engine that drives our word runs on a fuel properly called "Hypocrisy." Don't kid yourself. No body is clean. No one is without sin. Why can't we all just accept each other as human beings who hunger, thirst, feel pain and want someone, anyone, to just love us without conditions? Why must we all be so alone in this blue jewel of a planet we all share for a few fleeting moments between the delivery room and the cemetery?
Tom, In my local newspaper The Atlantic City Press (NJ) there is an article about"New Pill to help fight Addiction" It states "Buprenorphine works like methadone, but patients will be able to take it in their own homes. Therefore drs. say it will benefit many more people addicted to pain pills and heroin." It mentions the clinic I go to and how that is the only one in the county and its reletively new (July 1999). It states "Lisa's" personal story about going to the meth clinic everyday while trying to take kids to daycare and work. She missed a dose one dsy and was suffering withdrawls..this led to taking percocet and the cycle began again. There has been a huge surge of people addicted to pain pills naming oxycotin as one of the most used and abused. In a few months FDA approval of this drug (pill form) will take place. In anticipation of the drug's approval drs. will assemble in April in Philadelphia Convention Center for a two day course that will allow them to use the new treatment. It will be distributed under the trade name Suboxone through Schering-Plough of Kenilworth. (Can you say stock tip?) Of course, the drs. must be trained to encourage counseling to help us understand why we self-medicate. It states that Congress in Sept 2000 passed the Drug Treatment Act which clears the way for opiate addictions to be treated with the new drug. I know they used this at the place I got OP treatment but you had to be inpatient to receive it. Well, what do you think? I will definitely check this out. It states Bup. doesn't have the same abuse potential as methadone, so patients will be permitted to get a script that will lasts weeks. Good News!
No, Tom I do not smoke pot. I used to back in college but it was never my "thing". I would start to get paranoid and I knew it was time to move on. The same goes for alcohol. I used to drink pretty heavily in my 20's. My husband's father made homemade italian wine which I lived for. God that was some potent stuff. I lost all desire to drink after I got pregnant with my daughter in 1995. I can't even have one because I will feel sick immediately and never catch a buzz. My husband said that's the second best thing to come out of my pregnancy. Now, if I could just lose the desire for the opiates I would be fine. No such luck. Pain pills are the ONLY thing that interest me--I don't like the benzo family either. Maybe I should try the behavior therapy where every time I have a euphoric recall I could receive an electrical shock. You know, Aversion Therapy. If I really thought it would take away all cravings and desire I would probably try it! I hate being so controlled by this substance.
Hello everyone.  Am still doing well but have one problem.  I do have chronic pain from my car accident and shoulder surgery.  I have taken some pills here and there for the pain and do not have withdrawal when I stop.  I am scared that this will lead me back to taking them all the time again.  I can't get rid of the pain without them sometimes.  I do massage, heat, mineral ice etc.  and I just lay in bed at night and cry (want to sleep SO bad but the pain is SO BAD it keeps me awake) - what a way to live.  I felt great when I got off these only to run into a real dilema when I need them.  Thanks for letting me vent.  I know in my earlier posts I said I was a slave set free but now I find that I am a slave to the pain.  What am I gonna do?  God Bless you all, Maryanne
god, how I feel for you now, Maryanne. Like me, you're living the ultimate irony, or perhaps we should call it our mutual "cosmic joke." You're free of opiates because of the bup and now you need them for legitimate pain! Tell me something, though. Buprenorphine itself IS a pain killer (see www.rxlist.com) as Buprenex. Here's a site devoted to nothing but bup:

http://www.reccolpharm.com/Bibliography/

It's not just a detox drug! Why not ask your doctor for buprenex for severe pain episodes? I understand it's available as a pill or, if I understand it correctly, as a sublingual (under the tongue eyedropper-administered med) and possibly as a nasal spray, like that stadol pain killer used for treating migraine and other breakthrough pain). It's widely prescribed in Europe (oh, why, oh why, can't we keep up with Europe when it comes to medical treatments?) as an analgesic comparable to what you'd use demerol or oxy to treat.
Perhaps your doctor could give you some bup for breakthrough pain. Why the hell not? It's worth asking about, anyway.

If pain is going to be a continuing factor in your life, why not explore this possibility? Surely detox from using bup for a pain episode can't e as bad as, say, reverting to vics or oxy or codeine? Another idea: TalwinNX is a partial agonist pain killer that might not touch off your addiction. I remember using Talwin for a migraine and, while it worked for the pain, I had absolutely no desire to do more. They put Nalaxone in the Talwin NX pill so that addicts can't cook it up and shoot it without the nalaxone canceling out the Talwin and throwing them into withdrawal.

Check these things out, my good friend. I'm here for you as you are here or me. Let me know if you have any success. Perhaps you should call Gooberman? You can't be the first detoxer to need pain relief again. You've got a lot of years to go, my dear, and you're going to have to find a pain control method of some kind. If you ask me, this is the ideal situation to bring in the bup! Take care.
tom
TO TOM,  Thanks for the word about the DEA  I've already had to deal with them and the State Board of Pharmacy when I popped several years ago.  In 1990 the hospital where I worked sent me to treatment for stealing and abusing,  they, at the time were under no obligation to report me to the Board of Pharmacy or the Board of Nursing.  Right out of treatment I was popped for trying to cop some crack but the charges were dropped so the hospital never found out.  In 1995 I was in trouble again,  this time i was indicted by a grand jury and they got me not only for theft of narcs but they had to throw in deception to obtain a dangerous drug,  just to add more charges.  Since the laws in Ohio changed considerably from 90 to 95 the hospital was under an obligation to report me to the pharmacy and the DEA.  Personally, i don't think that constituted the DEA being brought in but hey, I made the news....They made it sound like some big ring was busted wide open.  Now, I receive letters from the state attorney's office etc.  saying all kinds of stuff about me.  So I suppose I should be really careful about what I say?  Anyway,  thanks again....Cindi
I live near Indianapolis and there was a story on the news this morning about a nurse who tampered with drugs at a hospital.

Over a period of time she used a syringe to suck out the contents of 87 bottles of morphine and Demerol and replace the fluid with a saline solution.  They don't know for sure how much havoc this has caused the patients but she is facing a sentence of ten years.  It's a federal offense to tamper with consumer products(as they put it).  I think that by the time DEA gets involved, she may get life without parole!  As an addict myself, I hope she gets some help and rehabilitation instead.  J.B.
We are not criminals, we are addicts with chronic pain.  The DEA can do anything they want, now if it's legal..that's a different story.  But I can assure you guys that they probably don't control this website.  They are not the ones taking post from this board, the webmaster of this site is most likely the only person allowed to FTP this site.  Don't worry my good people. Take Care and God Bless
To JB.  The story of drug addicted Nurses is usally pretty much all the same. Believe me,  there are alot of us..This disease does not discriminate. We did what we had to do to get what we needed.  I emphasize the word NEED. By the time most of us are caught we are tired,no, plain out and out exhausted,and terrified.  I had no clue i could get help.  If the hospital had reported me the first tme I would have detoxed in the county lock up but they gave me 24 hours to get treatment.  The DEA and board of Pharmacy have no tolerance for "impaired" Nurses.  They want to see us fry.  and after my first time they wanted me bad.  In their book I was total scum and they let me know it in no uncertain terms.  I did receive treatment in lieu of conviction but that was like pulling out my eyes to get.  I do not know the laws re: nurses in Indianapolis but they are getting tougher in Ohio.  The ironic thing is:  I don't know if anyone is aware of the corruption in Youngstown, Ohio but it has mad national news.  Many of our judges, lawyers etc. have been sent to prison for various crimes.  Bribery, etc.  The judges that I went in front of were the first to go down.  too bad the new crew that put me on the news didn't go down as well.  Oops, sorry, resentments are not a good thing, It was a very degrading, humiliating experience for me and I hope if any Nurses are reading this...You are not exempt.  It is a very easy cycle to fall victim to.  and there is Help.  things are kept confidential.   Take care   cindi
DrSteve,Well actually five ,but we do not want to start a dangerous new CRAZE do WE?.
4."Intrathecal"-for when you get a REAL tolerance,but don`t forget to remove same volume of Cerebrospinal Fluid.
5."Epidural"-don`t puncture the Dura matter>>>>