Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

slow taper

My question is if you are tapering 1mg. every other week and doing ok then get to a certain number (6mg. for me)then start to get uncomfortable, if you stay at that dose for a few weeks or so will you start to get used to it and will the withdrawal symptoms ease up?  And if you do how long should you wait before you start to decrease again?

Sharon
Your right in one sense "the lower the dose the slower the taper, but I wouldn't wait a few weeks to decrease it, a few days longer than you have been doing is ok.(my opinion) Is it uncomforatble or intolerable? At some imaginary line when we taper the physical withdrawal feels worse than it actually is because a little bit of panic sets in, knowing the end is near. Be careful,... that thinking gives you a few too many days to convince yourself that its a level you can stay at and not abuse.(Right! denial! Do you know what DENIAL stands for? Don't even (k)now I am Lying!)I would find that impossible to do. All it takes is one bad mood to justify that extra dose and then you know what happens. Its pretty hard to maintain a constant resolve when it comes to opiates. They can really make you feel like your insane! Get off as soon as you can and start on the road to living. The path is waiting, take my hand and you can follow me, the person ahead of us is doing a great job at leading.
I have a question that i was asked for you...Why put yourself thru weeks of discomfort and withdrawal when u can get it all over in a few days?  
Peace!
Your friend Suz
Hi Suzie...

Stopping right now would put me in major withdrawals and with methadone that could last for quite some time, a lot more than a few days.  And I can't go to work like that. If I do it real slow then I am only uncomfortable.  If I thought that it would only be a few days, I would have done it a long time ago.

Sharon
Hello All -- I haven't been here in a while.  Just thought I'd stop and say hi.  All is well.

catuf
I don't have direct experience with methadone, but it makes sense to me with a drug like methadone to take longer between reductions the lower your dosage gets. You've successfully come all this way, what's the rush now? Only you truly know how you feel. Only take on the burden you can carry.

Thomas
hi sharon, ithink what you are doing is great,
for most of us addicts we have a real problem with tapering
because we fail at most if the time.
but for ayone who can taper like yourself
god bless you. keep up the good work.
time go's by fast, and it is nice to see that you also
able to keep working.
i hope it continues to go well for you.
peace!!!!!!!  hippy//////// michael
Hey good to see you too.

How are you feeling lately?

Rex
Hey guys,

I heard from Finished!! today and it looks like his surgery was a success.

He says he may not be bale to post much today or tommorrow, but will try.

For those that don't know, he broke his ankle and wrist mopping the floor for his fiance - OK OK I'm kidding - (he needs the humour right now) - he broke then vacuuming.

OK - he broke his wrist and ankle riding his dirt bike on his track and had to have surgery on the ankle. He says hello to everyone and wishes us well. It was nasty break so I should not joke but he sounds amazingly upbeat and helped me so much these last couple of days that I owe him.

Finished! I will come and mop and vacuum for you while you are down! ;-)

Gang, please pray for him. Another thing is, it sure sounds like God has blessed him with the greatest of friends and partners in his fiance, who was there by his side and continues to help him out.

God's grace to all who are suffering today - tommorrow offers new hope always...

Rex

Good Luck on your recovery from surgery!!! Im glad all went well.Hope to hear from you soon. Take exrra cars in weeks to come.. Ill be praying for a speedy and not so painfull road.     God Bless You....         J.E.W.
Hey bud. How you holdin out?

Rex
how are you doing,good i hope take care.
best to every body .
Doing pretty good. I go back to work tomarrow so Im kinda stressen about it. I know Ill be o.k. but the mind keeps saying what if.. Hows it going for you? Great I hope!!!!                       God Bless...        J.E.W.
im doing good im out of my coma lol, honestly im doing good,you should be proud of yourself you have done great , i want to thank you for helping me , your kind words got me thr the rough times, have a great day at work , dont let your gaurd down , you kicked ass be proud .
HI SHARON,I HAVE ONLY ABUSED METHADONE AND NOT W/D FROM IT,BUT I KNOW TAPERING IS HARD AND (YOUR CHOICE) OF A WAY TO DETOX OR GET TO A BETTER TREATMENT OR DRUG.(IN MY OPINION) METHADONE A SYNTHETIC/NARCOTIC WILL PROBLY HAVE W/D SYMPTOMS SIMILAR TO OPIATES.WHEN YOU TAPER YOUR DOSE YOUR GONNA HURT UNTIL YOUR BODY ADJUSTS TO THE LACK OF WHATEVER YOUVE TAPERED FROM.GO AT YOUR OWN PACE, WHICH EVER IS COFORTABLE FOR YOU. I ASSUME YOU ARE HEADING TOWARDS SUBETEX (THE NEW MED).IM PROUD OF YOU AND YOUR PROGRESS!!!NOTE:THE CURRENT MISGUIDED APPROACH OF SUBSTITUTING METHADONE IS COMMONLY REPORTED TO ACTUALLY CAUSE MORE PERCEPUAL AND THINKING PROBLEMS THAN THE OPIATES IT REPLACES PLUS METHADONE IS KNOWN TO CAUSE PHYSICAL DAMAGE TO INTERNAL ORGANS THAT ARE NOT ENCOUNTERED WITH OPIATE USE ITSELF.SEE http://heroin.org/proglumide/index.html  RIGHT ON SHARON,I KNOW YOU CAN DO IT!
Good morning Anthony!!! Have been thinking of you - please post and let us know how you're feeling. I'm thinking this is day 4 of your recovery battle; I do remember you were feeling very ill yesterday.  Post when you feel like it - know we're all here pulling for ya!  Love, Lisabet
Anthony - Great job on the cold turkey. Try the vitamins that Thomas suggest. I am on day 46 clean and they work great to restore your energy.

Everyone -

As far as teppering - In the long run you are better off going Cold Turkey. It hurts more but the WD's are over sooner. Tappering only makes the WD's longer. You must have a program in order to stay clean. AA or NA and some type of insurance provided program. Most of all get back to God and pray.

I was sick of chasing the pills. (lortab and soma) I went through hundreds of mini WD's because my stock ran low. I always went to bed wondering how I would feel in the morning. My money was going to drugs not bills and my kids did not have a Dad. Yes, I have guilt and shame but now they see a change and the support is incredible. Be honest with everyone about your drug use and tell on the addiction when it wants you to use.

I would like to hear from more people with longer clean time on the tapper issue. If you do tapper it is best to let a partner or friend hold the drugs. We do not have to do this alone, this board is proof of that claim. So here is my suggestion.

Change people palces and things.
Pray
Get a program - AA or NA
Change your thought process. Drugs are 10% of the problem we are 90% of the problem.
Work the 12 Steps - THey work.
Be Honest
Tell your doctor.
Exercise.
Most of all ask God for help. He can and will take the cravings away, and give you hope.
Listen to old timers in AA and NA. The wisdom is great.
Go to a meeting daily.

This is what works for me. Hope this helps.

- Sturgil
Hi Everyone, God bless all who are detoxing, and God bless all who are clean, I am neither at the moment. I had some WD last tues and wens and thurs afternoon went to my Ortho and he gave me 25 vikes 7.5 and I made them last til tomorrow morning , which is surprising to me. When I have a lot I take a lot. I asked my husband who is at the hosp right now getting his 3rd dose of rabies vacc, (he's a mailman, fed a sqiurrel, well you know the rest. Anyway I asked him to ask the ER doc for some Tyl,#3 for pain and he said" No I have been thru too much with you. I am not doing it" Now I feel like ****. My lowest point. Anyway I really want to detox and have no choice cause my resources are gone for pills, My question is I have only been taking maybe between 4-6 or 8 a day and still get my warm feeling with only one and half pill, what will my WD be like?

I also have some Ultram and use them very sparingly but if I use ultram to taper off of how many should I take? Also will my use of Ultram just mask the vike WD? I have takien Ultram many times and I do not get WD after it. Anyone have any advice? Thanks Love to all- BADD
Dosn't sound like you take an awful lot.  You will have withdrawal.  the ultram does mask the effects and it is addicting!  I took 6 - 8 ultram per day when i was withdrawing from stadol and it masked symptoms very well.  but then it took me over a week off of the ultram to start feeeling better from the overall withdrawal.   Now ultram is same family / type drug as stadol so...i may not be a good example for you.
I am proud of you for wanting to detox!  That is a huge decision even when we are forced to make it!
Suzie

It's day three. Feeling alot better today. Valium and Tylenol PM are life savers. Last night I had the worst stomach cramping imaginable...it hurt so bad I was lying on the floor in tears. Then about 2 hours later I went back to bed. Now this may sound strange but as I was falling asleep I was laying on my stomach with my arms above my head, all of a sudden I felt numb and dizzy feeling...my body felt all tingles. Then I tried to move and I couldn't, when I called for help nothing came out....finally a few minutes later I was able to move and I was gasping for air like crazy. Does that sound like a symptom of withdrawal? It scared the hell out of me!!! I'm feeling so much better than I thought I would, but I heard days 4 and 5 are the worst? The first three were bareable, I definently will never go threw this again in my life...This is enough to keep me off the drugs! I'll post again tonight,

-Anthony
You need to get a blood pressure reading!  Opiates naturally reduce our bp so going off it can sky rocket and be dangerous!  Plz i hope u are checking th e board now to get this message!  Go to a drug store at least.  
Peace and i am soo proud of you!
Suzie
WAY TO GO!  I am soo glad to hear that you are actually following through with your goal!  I am so proud of you!  You must be sooo proud of yourself too!  What an accomplishment!  Day 4 was the worst for my husband.  Day 5 he said was the end of the physical agony.  You will get through it.  Punch a pillow, scream at the top of your lungs...just keep FIGHTING!  It is a great fight.  
Keep posting and let us know how you are feeling.  Also, about your scary episode.  If you can, go to a doctor...you should get yourself checked out with regards to heart rate, blood pressure, respiration, etc.
Catherine
THE ONE WHO WROTE DENIAL-DONT EVEN KNOW IM LYING.I LOVE IT!GOD THAT IS SOOOOOOOO TRUE.TO SHARON:YOU ARE DOING SO GOOD.IF YOU COULD BE DONE WITH THIS HELL YOUR IN TODAY YOU WOULD,JUST LIKE ALL OF US.DEMONDS ARE A ***** TO GET RID OF.YOU HAVE HELPED ME SO MUCH!!KEEP UP THE GOOD FIGHT-YOU ARE WINNING!!!!!

A taper is a long as you want it to be. Theres no harm in stretching  a dose a week or two extra. Just dont climb :)

God Bless
DM