Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
32k Members

subutex

I tapered off methadone (slowly)which I had been on for over 15 years,when I got down to zero after a couple of weeks of still being very sick I decided to go on subutex.  I take on an average of 6 mg. a day. Doctor prescribed 6mg. to 8mg. a day. So far I have felt great, no more withdrawal symptoms, and I feel normal a sense of "well being". Not sedated as I did when I was on methadone. My question is: How long should I stay on? I am also a chronic pain patient (arthritis) and I am currently on predensone for a short time. So this is also helping with my pain issue. The physician told me that I can stay on indefinietly or come off after a short period when I think that the most of the methadone is out of my system. I have heard it can take months before your body is rid of methadone, esp. being on it for so many years.  Thanks for your input.

Sharon
According to a doctor friend of mine who is licenced to prescribe sub says that length of time on realy varies.  There is no right or wrong or end times.  It depends on the years of opiete dependence.  I would think in your situation you would need to stay on it for a few months.  Let you body and brain heal then use a taper to ease off the sub nice and slow.  You are on a nice low dose but enough to do the job. Congratulations! Pam
Just like the doc said, you can stay on indefinitely or for a short time.  If it helps with your pain, why go off of it?  I would say it goes on a case by case basis.  There isn't any time frame that is universally appropriate in which to be on any narcotic for pain or whatever.  With buprenorphine's profile and its efficacy in your case, I would say it is a perfect fit for you.  As far as the methadone being out of your system, I would give it a couple of months.  It doesn't take that long, but I would imagine there is more to consider than just the chemical being out of your system.  I am sure your body would need time to rebound back, even with being on the buprenorphine.  I would let the buprenorphine work for at least two to three months to help your body get used to not having methadone in it.  Then, gradually get off the Subutex...if that is what you must do.  But, I would seriously consider your pain control needs, if I were you.
Sharon:
if i were you i'ld take it nice and slow....get really stable at the 6-8/day dose. what's the hurry? bup is addictive, but it sounds as if you have put your time in with gut shredding wd....and besides you did say something about pain issues...if the bup is good at controling the pain, you may choose to stay with it. i get no pain control from bup...just reief from wd's. my expierence with bup has been the less the beter...but that's just me. in high doses bup can be real wierd stuff...but if your doing well with it, who could argue against you taking your time?
keep an angle on your shoulder
kip
Hi Pam...

Thanks, yea, I finally did it, was so tired of the whole methadone scene!!! If I had known way back then I might not have even gotten on.  I am not knocking it by no means, it has helped save many lives. But I think in my sitiuation I could have done it without it. But back then they put you on a high dose then they leave you there.  I did not stay on the high dose though, even though most did choose to stay on that dose.  The highest I was on was 65 the first few years, then down to 30 for most of the rest. The last 2 years I slowly detoxed and I am finally off for good!!!  And I feel great!! I know I will need at least a few months to let my body heal, so I guess I will just take it one day at a time, but if I do end up by staying on at least I can get a script from a doctors office once a month and not have to have all of the clinic environment, rules and the feeling of being imprisoned there. I am glad and relieved to be out of the whole environment.  Life is looking good....
Thanks for responding...
Sharon
Thanks for replying back,

Yes, I guess I am lucky that  I was able to get on this med and have it work so well for me. I am in no hurry to get off because it is helping me with both issues. So far my opinion is that I think that this med is going to help a lot of people. And I am grateful that I found it.

Sharon
sharon:
i had no idea you were getting your methadon the clinic route! a special congradulatios is in order. my only expierence with methadone was the clinic route....and i couldn't do it! in the late '60's in the Mpls area al one had to do was walk in off the street and be willing to turn over practically every decision you would ever make to some a**hole counselor for the rest of your life. i've lost many friends to the clinic's over the years...most are dead of self inflicted gunshots...so all of us (and you) have so much to be
gratfull for. i for one, can say, i did not wait in line at some clinic, to be treated like a subnormal child. stick with your doc and the bup...many of us will pray for you!
keep an angel on your shoulder
kip
You continue to amaze me w/ your knowledge of oipiates. My guess is that you were/are one hell of a drug addict. You are so useful to this forum it is scary. I thought I knew alot but you have it down to friggin MOLECULAR manifestation for Gods sake.. Kudos. Opiates for 500 Alex...
I can't seem to find a Dr. willing to prescribe bup.I 've been to 2 addictionologist and had no luck.Any advice?Iwas on about 200-250mgs of oxy so I can't understand why they want prescribe it.    Thanks-tobie
Does anyone else live in a state where NOT ONE dr. is certified to prescribe bup? I cant belive it. Not one doctor. I called the nearest rehab center to where I live and no dr. had even heard of it. They actually asked me how to spell it. I dont even know what else to say I am furious.   Doner
Don't know if this is of any help???

Buprenorphine - Subutex - Suboxone
Physician Locator - A direcotry of physicians that offer Buprenorphine Treatment.
.....found at
www.atwatchdog.org
I have about 5 in my state and called all of them and you know what? NOT ONE called me back-HOW RUDE! I could not believe it, they are only authorized to have 30 patients at any given time but you would think they would give commom courtsey and at least say they were full. I continue to be discoraged about this drug, for me and getting it , it has become a mission. Baddgirl
I found it with help here on  http://buprenorphine.Samhsa.gov/bwns_locator/index.html if you have trouble with that try Samhsa.gov and in the search put buprenorphine-- thats what I did and got tons of docs in Calif. Bay area. The first doc I called took me in the next day, best of all my insurance took it as a medical visit, This doc is going to address my pain issue also. Hope this helps -Terri
I missed a day of posts and tried to catch up with the readings, so forgive me if I got the names of you wrong, I started Bup. on weds. The doc I found also runs Beacon house a narc & alcohol center. I was relieved b/c I would think he knows what he's doing. He has me taking a compound lozenge 6mg 4 times a day for first week then 3 a day the next week then I see him again. I feel like I use to before the pills which I forgot how that was. I quit a 20 a day hydro habit on 5/11 and tappered w/Darvocet n 100, Which worked great as far as w/d go, I had only a couple nites w/no sleep no runs, just low energy and a lil depression, I can't believe I started taking them again. I got scared about being sick and after someone here told me how to find a doc who prescribed Bup. I know I will have tough days ahead and will seek long term help to help with cravings. The best news about this is, My friend was lieing to me about not taking anything since 5/11 we were going to do this together of course I could see right through her she would tell me I've only taken one pill today and still be up and running with house work ect... I finally confronted her and said your talking to someone who's done this many times she then confessed to not stopping, I told her I understood thats when my weakness came I asked for some (Damn it) well I went to my appt: told her about my doc, she had an appt that day with our pill doc to get 180 norco b/c she was out of pills, The pill doc canceled on her and she was freaking out, thats when I told her to see the bup doc and shes there this morning. I will not confront her again, I will be there for her like she is for me but I don't want to know if she has any. Does any one know what I can expect when I start lowering my dosage? Is it the same as tappering off Hydro? Thanks Ter
Thanks so much for taking the time to look into it for me. Someone else also offered the site and it listed no docs anywhere even close to here. I live in Michigan. I cant imagine any of you have even noticed this crappy little state at the top of the map but there are two parts to Michigan. Upper and Lower.Im in the upper part. It is VERY small.There are alot of docs in Lower Michigan that are qualified but it would be a shorter drive to go to another state.No matter which direction Im looking I would have to drive 5-8 hours to get to a doc certified to prescribe bup. The whole situation just blows, I thought the bup. might be my ticket to kick this depression. Thanks again for actually going through the motions of trying to help.It is much appreciated and wont be forgotten. Doner
I emailed her the list from michigan and wisconsin from that locator.  Unfortunately, she has a long drive to get to the closest one to her.  Michigan had 33 docs all in the lower portion.  There has to be SOMEONE up there.  I will keep on plugging away for you, doner.
badgirl:
your post in this thread came close to tearing up my heart and then caving in my chest...it's not just your lack of access to bup...you very much desearve it...

i've had a very bad afternoon and i doubt i can put into words what is going on wth me...see i've just gotten a good job after going all winter without...i should be happy...but what is happiness to a junky???a few extra mmgs. of our favorite poision?? see my years put in as a junky have not gotten me much, except for extream mistrust in happiness...

but enough of my bad afternoon...i'm just sick into my own heart, hurting the people  i love the most...i do not trust happiness!!

for what it's worth, tonight i will pray that you and i and people like us will recieve not what we want, but what we need. i'm sorry
i don't have any answers for you or me or anyone else tonight...i just do not trust happiness...
keep an angel on your shoulder...and pray to want the things you need!
kip
As MrMichael said, we'll keep hunting!!!

percs
Man, I know how that 'happiness' **** can be. Yeah Right!
You seem to always come through though bro, so just hang in, you'll make it there, wherever 'there' is for you! Peace! Bill
Ya'll have hunting dogs too?  Man, what a country!
To all of you that are trying to find a doc to prescribe bup.THANK YOU I love you guys so much.I called the largest hospital in the UP that has the only opiate rehab up here.I asked if there was a dr. in the UP certified in presribing bup. First thing she said was "what". I repeated myself,then she asked me how to SPELL it and put me on hold.She came back 4 minutes later and asked me if I knew what it was used for. I told her it was a new drug used to help opiate addicts staighten out.I got put on hold again and she came back and said "Im sorry ma'am, we dont have any information on that drug. I almost hit the floor. How can an opiate rehab center know nothing about this? Makes me nervous for the safety of my kids that the drs. here are so behind in recent medical advances.It makes me feel like packing right now.Thanks for looking and for listening. I would do anything to repay you all for what you've done for me.Thanks so much,sleep well,Melissa
Hey why don't you copying your last posts and save it and in a month re read it back to me. If you wanna get better you will Doll. I told my PCP everything too. It really didn't help my addiction but he gave me meds that made the physical part a hell of a lot better. Phenobarb and clonidine. When I started taking them my withdrawals stop completely and all I was left with was the brainfog, I hated that part the worst.
OK, do not loose you family, since it is that important, go do the right thing on Monday, get REAL help. You can't get this **** out of your system until you stop putting it in. Bill
You are a worthwhile person now.  Please don't think like that.
I would imagine you were repeating what the pharmacist said when you stated bup has to be compounded?  That is one way to get it in a troche.  A troche is a gelatin like sublingual prep made in a compounding pharmacy.  But, Subutex and Suboxone aren't compounded.
Any pharmacy can order Subutex or Suboxone.  If you call 1-800-444-7599, it will put you through to a rep for Renkitt Benckiser.  I am not sure which rep it is, but it is one of them.  I have called it before and just as recently as three days ago to verify Subutex being released.  It was as of early April, by the way.  I am sure they can give you any info you might need.