Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
32k Members

tramadol withdrawal

I am in the process of getting off of tramadol. It was prescribed for me for ocassional use for mild to moderate pain like headache, muscle soreness, etc. I used it only ocassionally for several months. About 4 months ago, I became involved in a fairly intense project and was experiencing more discomfort. Without really thinking much about it, I started using tramadol every day and then increased this to 2-3 times each day. The dosage was 100mg, so I was taking 100-300mg daily (or 2-6, 50mg pills) for 3 months. After I finished the project in mid-may, I decided that I needed to stop using a drug to get through the day, so I tried to just stop taking it. WOW! Serious withdrawal symptoms including joint and muscle pain, stomch issues, fatigue, depression and a strange hollowness in my nerves ensued. I didn't feel I could just stop functioning for a week or two or whatever it would take, so I used some hydrocodone that I had to help me get my tramadol use down to 100mg per day over the course of a week. I would just take the hydro when I started feeling really bad in the afternoon to get me through the rest of the day. Then, I decided to just quit the tramadol altogether. The withdrawal was really difficult. I was worried about getting addicted to the hydro, so I got some concentrated kratom powder and was alternating use with the hydro every day or two so that neither of them was in my system daily. This got me through week 2 which was a reduced amount of muscle pain, but more fatigue, lethargy, depression. Now I am beginning my third week. I am out of hydro and I am still experiencing some muscle and joint stuff, but the big problem is the lethargy and depression. It's just kicking my butt. The kratom is very helpful in this and lifts the dark cloud that I seem to wake up with, but I'm worried about an addition to this as well. I am now taking about 1.5-2 grams in the early afternoon to get through the rest of the day. I am not using any other drugs or substances. I have never been addicted to anything before and wasn't abusing the tramadol. It didn't make me high or anything, but it did get rid of ALL of my aches and pains and let me do everything I needed to in the day. I don't have any major pain and I know I shouldn't have been so lazy about my health. Now, I am trying to be really careful without losing myself to laying on the couch all day. My questions are: How long will the tramadol withdrawal take to be completely over? and How long can I use a small amount of Kratom on a daily basis without just creating another addiction that I have to get over? Or can I just slowly reduce the kratom to avoid the withdrawal since it is a powder and very easy to measure out? Any thoughts on this would be helpful. I am reluctant to engage my physician in this too much. he knows I am having withdrawal fromt he tramadol, but I don't want to ask for any other drugs if I don't have to. I just feel like I've done something really studpid and I want to get through it without his help, if possible. Thanks!
Hi Birdie,

It is so hard to give an exact amount of time as to when the withdrawal symptoms will end.  Especially, the depression and malaise.  If you do not want the doc's help, then in time you will notice a difference.  I have learned in my many attempts at quiting that each day is different.  Somedays will be worse then other's and then adventually you will have more and more good days.  Moral support is very important too.  And there is a lot of that here.  Just remember you are doing the right thing and getting out from under the weight of the drugs.  It is such a huge burden to carry.  Recovery can be trying but the end result is so worth it.  And let me tell you something I was clean for 3 months not long ago and I felt really good.  I made a mistake though and took just one pill and of course it escalated.  Fortunately, I learned my lesson and I was able to stop myself after a month of starting the vicious cycle all over again.  

All my best,

Shelby
I also used kratom when my energy did not come back after about the 3rd week of c/t.  I didi notice that the day following the kratom when I woke up my joints were sore, just like w/d.  It wasn't as extreme but it was there.  My energy level and the cloud over my head feeling really started going away on approx da 35 however,it has been just last week that I feel "normal", which I can honoestly say I was affraid was never going to come back.  That's how it worked for me I hape this helps!
Thanks Shelby. This is such a frustrating process. I can't take any antiinflammatories like ibuprofen or whatever because of an allergy. I thought Tramadol was an amazing drug. Very few of the side effects of narcotics, but excellent pain control. I had no clue that I could become seriously addicted to it. I don't even know if any of the normal therapies for managing withdrawal would work for tramadol, but I've somewhere down the road anyway. I just wish I knew how long it would all take. It's so muc easier to be in a hard place if you know when it's going to end. I guess I'm paying for my pain free months this month. I am trying to manage it with kratom to have days that are at least partially productive. I'm hoping I'll get some feedback on that as well. Good luck keeping yourself off drugs. I don't know if it will be an issue for me since it hasn't been in the past, but I guess I;ve entered new territory. I can tell you that the Tramadol I have in the cupboard isn't calling to me at all! It scares the **** out of me instead.
I am really interested in how you used the kratom and for how long. can you tell me more about this? It looks like I have another week or so to go.
I have just gotten off tramadol as well, but I took way more than you - 12 50 mg a day - and it has taken me more than one month to start to feel normal again, I won't even say I am there yet, but I am feeling so much better now. I don't know if I am right, but reading here the past three months of other people's experience with tramadol, I believe it might be even harder to come off than Vicodin, it sure seems to take longer, but you just have to be patient, you will get better!!! I bought some Kratom as well, but never had the guts to use it, because I had leaves and no scale to measure it with, so I was afraid of getting too much, but if it helps you, then great.
Hope you will soon feel better.
Minnie      
Alieve is a god send for aches and pains try it it might help u.
I'll give the Alleve a go. That would be great if it helps.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I hate the feeling of being utterly useless for so long too. I'll only use the kratom for the rest of this week. I think it works well and must work something like methadone does for other drugs in that it reduces your symptoms so you can function. I'm figuring that after 21 days, I should be functional enough to go at it without some help. Hope I'm right!
I also use the consentrated powder 10x.  Approx 2oz in the morning and 2oz in the evening.  I don't suggest thsi for everyone but I had an extremely hard time with my energy.  I could barely walk across the room without getting winded.  I'm usually a driven person,  I couldn't even do my hair my daughter didi it.  It got me through a time that I was feeling as though I was worthless to my family and friends and everyone would be better off w/me ond drugs!! (it makes me emotional to even say that)  I can see how kratom can be addicting, I don't know if I was just lucky so be caareful.  Like I said I did notice on the days after I used it in the morning my ankles and hip would be a little stiff.  My c/t date was April19 and now I feel "normal agian and I have no cravings for meds.  Some people on this sight might jummp on you about using kratom, but it got me through a time where I could have seen myself relapsing.  If you have any other quest. I'll keep checking
Just kind of taper off the kratom,  just take your morning dose. Then do every oter day.  I think I have used kratom a total of 8 days in the last month.  I noticed that when I take it my energy is lifted but I'm not quite as efficient. .
Hello, i have a question about Methadone. I have been on 90mgs a day since Feb. I used to take 16 to 18 tramadol a day and could not w/d by myself. Can anyone tell me why, when i took 4 tramadol one day last week, I thought I was going to DIE with horrible aches and pains all over my body?  What other drugs mixed w/methadone will cause this reaction?  Thanks for any info.
thanks for the encouragement minnie. Good for you to get yourself off the drug. I've realized it is just not worth it to take any drug everyday for pain unless the pain is REALLY bad. Mine wasn't. I just wasn't taking great care of myself. I know the kratom is bit scary. All the studies I could find suggested that it is addictive, but it seems to take a long time. I would not reccomend anyone use it unless they needed to for getting off of something else. Even then, you have to decide whether or not it's worth it to risk such an unstudied, but powerful substance.