Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
32k Members

whithdrawal and setbacks ( slip ups)

I was taking a truckload of Oxycontin after an auto accident left me with back and neck problems ( surgeries ) I was taking oxy but was not long before i started chewing them. Was chewing 4 1/2 80mg pills and also taking 180 norco 10/325's alonf with 240 5mg oxtcodone for breakthru pain. One day I chewed 5 oxy 80mg pills and I knew I had to be done.I decided to go cold turkey and it has been a little over 2 weeks of absolute skincrawling anxiety wheeling hell!!! I has refills on the Norco and after 2 weeks I slipped. I sat and takled myself into it and took 8 norco the first day ( by the way I was taking 18 norcco at once) along with the oxyconton. Anyway the next day i took 8 and was found out by my fiance (who was pissed!!) I took ten later that night because I knew she would flush them, so why not give my pain another 3 hour breather. That was about 5 days ago and it doesn't seem like it really set me back as far as the withdrawal goes. Finally,my question is when will the anxiety subside? It is draining and just outright debilitating. I have forced myself to the gym a few tiles lately just to get off the couch and try to kick these feelings but every day the anxiety hangs in there. What am I in for? when will I feel normal with energy again so I can get back to being me??? Anyone?? Is my withdrawal longer due to the amount (extremely high amounts)??Doessomeone have a good answer for me on this?
Hi - I've told others in this forum this, but I was taking about 7 - 10 5mg Percosets or Fioricets per day for the last couple years and I'm on 9 days pretty much of being pill free (well, one slip up on Sunday night, one 5mg tab - which was a waste of time because I didn't feel anything). The anxiety for me is the WORST. It doesn't sound like you've talked to your Dr. about your addiction(?) and I didn't completely come clean with mine either, but she knows I was taking too many pills for my migraines and is helping me out. Anyhoo, do yourself a favor and call in for some anti-anxiety pills - just a couple weeks supply maybe, such as Lorezapam, Valium, Xanax, whatever. It's the only thing that is saving me from jumping out of my skin. I think if I've gotten 3 hours sleep here and there, that's alot. People have also said eat a couple of bananas everyday because of the potassium which helps with tremors. I've found that to be pretty comforting when your pacing the floor at 3am! I am dying to take a few pills today because it's my day off and that's when I would do the most. That's why I jumped on this site again. It's really helpful. Try to keep busy. The first time I quit it took me a full week to feel better. This time it's taking longer because I'm taking more. With your high quantity could take a bit longer but there is light at the end of the tunnel - hang in there! Good luck!
Pax:

I had just read the posting by Powderhunter just adjacent to yours and I may have attributed a comment by him to you, but otherwise the same applies to both of you.
THANKS FOR THE INPUT. I AM UNDER DOCTOR'S SUPERVISION AND HAVE BEEN SINCE THE START AND I DID COME CLEAN ALL THE WAY WITH MY DOC RIGHT OUT OF THE GATE. HE WS NOT MUCH HELP AS HE WAS 200 MILES AWAY AS I HAVE JUST MOVED.( I DROVE EVERY 2 MONTHS TO GET MY SCRIPTS REFILLED.
I WENT TO AN EMERGENCY ROOM BECAUSE I WAS CONCERNED FOR MY HEALTH GOING COLD TURKET OFF OF THE ENORMOUS QUANTITY I WAS INJESTING. I WAS GIVEN ATIVAN AND REFERRED TO ANOTHER FAMILY DOC WHOM HAPPENED TO COME FROM A PAIN CLINIC( BY THE WAY HE **** WHEN I TOLD HIM I ACTUALLY CHEWED FIVE 80MG OXYCONTIN!!!) AS WELL AS THE OTHER MEDS AND 1/2 A FIFTH OF VODCA A NIGHT. HOPE ALL GOES WELL FOR ALL THE OTHERS OUT THERE STRUGGLING TO EEK OUT ANOTHER DAY. IT WILL END! I KNOW THIS   THANKS
how dare you? I'm supposed to be at the high end of the abuse/stupidity spectrum. 18 Norco at once. Mmmmmm. I'd go for it if I only had the supply. But I guess you're the new title holder. Congrats.

The king is dead, god save the king.

Thomas
THANKS FOR THE LAUGH!! LAUGHTER IS THE BEST HEALER!! NOT TRYING FOR BRAGGING RIGHTS BUT BUDDY..... I CHEWED 5 80MG OXYCONTIN AT ONCE AND CHASED IT WITH THE 18 NORCO!! LOLOL JUST LOOKIN FOR THE REAL CREDIT WHERE DUE.  ( HA HA ) TAKE CARE, HOPE YOUR HEALING IS GOING WELL. THANKS AGAIN FOR THE LAUGH
BY THE WAY THOMAS.......IF YOU DO THE MATH....5 80 MG OXYCONTIN (BY THE WAY TWICE DAILY) IS EQUIVILANT TO 80 PERCOCET AT ONCE! STILL HERE TO TALK ABOUT IT, THAT IS THE REAL SURPRISE!   CYA
it's not the oxycodone or hydro I was thinking of. That's mother's milk to me. It's the 350 or 500mg of tylenol per percocet, Lortab or Norco. That's what will get ya. I'm not kidding, my man. Death by liver failure isn't pleasant. It's painful and, after the doctors tell you there's nothing they can do, you'll have several days to think about how you threw your life away. No joke.

Thomas
I AGREE THOMAS, I FEEL I TRULY SKATED DEATH ON THIS ONE AND BY NO MEANS AM BRAGGING OF MY IGNORANCE. I DID HAVE MY BLODDWORK DONE ON A REGULAR BASIS AND LIVER ENZYMES WERE BELIEVE IT OR NOT NEVER SO MUCH AS ELEVATED. I TRULY FEEL I WAS LET OFF THE HOOK AND I THANK GOD FOR THAT! THANKS FOR THE INPUT AND THE EARLIER LAUGH- TAKE CARE
So very sorry to break in on everyones discussion here but i've been attempting to post a question for a very long time!

I've got itractable pain in my Cervical & Lumbar Spine from DJD, disc herniation(s)& spurs. I spent eight months of 2002 on ever increasing doses of Oxycontin ultimately 240mg a day & 90mg IRM for break thru. Due to the outrageuos constipation & loss of interest in most of lifes activities I DC'd all meds CT on Dec 6. I went thru what I found to be excruciating anxiety, chills,aches & insomnia for nearly 2 weeks with a real sense of normalancy not returning for 10 to 12 weeks.

To give some true insight into the Big picture I would let you know that I have been in recovery from substance abuse for 17 years, a largely faithful member of AA. I had smoked a significant amount of pot in my youth & had quite a fancy with cola, I had limited exposure to opium & none to herion. Though I had some minor issues surrounding the medicinal use of opioids it certainly didn't stop me from taking them. I only chewed an oxycontin 1 time early on (40mg)& had a close encounter with an old enemy of mine who i'de swore would never have me again. I would be lying if I were to say I didn't utterly enjoy the hipnotic effect of the Dragon dancing in my head just before sleep replaced the hypnosis. However, the relief of PAIN was the most liberating thing I had experienced in over a decade.

So hear I am squeaky clean, only on 20mg Prozacin the AM, Toprimate & Zanaflex at bedtime. I sleep 3-4hrs a night wake up multiple times toss & turn am tired & miserable all day, depressed, angry, frustrated & with my constant companion PAIN!
I get the feeling that I'm speaking largely to a group of persons just like myself. I know I could & can easily loose my soul to this stuff which is worse to me than loosing my life. However, there are times when I'm so miserable from the chore of living like this that I wonder which alternative is least not most desirable.

I saw my freindly VA shrink today & as always she wanted to know if I was going to do myself, again I responded that if it were not for my wife & children it would have been over long ago as suicide is the eptitomy of selfishness and I dealt with too many lifeless bodies to dump that on my family.

Are there any of you who are or know of people like us who successfully utilize Narcotics for Pain Management and if so any insight would be greatly appreciated.
try www.rxlist.com-----------
Hey, Great job on making it to day 5!!!!
I'm hoping this will be the attempt that gets you back your freedom.
I would strongly suggest picking up the L-Tyrosine and Vit B-6; it truly gives a mental and physical boost.

Perserverance breeds success!!!

Keep us posted
Great guns--what was I thinking??? I totally agree w/ pax---throw those suckers away and don't waste time on 6 lousy pills......It DOESN'T matter what they are.  Good luck and keep posting!!!! peaz
Hello and Welcome Here

Sorry to read about you having to live with that kind of relentless pain .  Have you talked with some pain management people, to discuss some "different" options; like Buprenorphine???

There are lots of people here(and at other addiction sites) that have to deal with chronic pain and narcotics, and i am hoping that you stay here to get to know some of them(and all of us)

Please post more.

percs
hey everyone! im new to this sight..i ususally do threads on drugabuse.com...very nice people..someone told me about this sight...i have been on oxycontin for a bout 6-8 months..about 120 mills a day...i know that is not as bad as some people, but after one day of no pills, i withdraw so bad...only at night which i get hot flashes and cold sweats...any advice how to get throught this a bit easier? i have so much anxiety when i think about how bad the withdraws are..the more i think about it the worse the anxiety gets...im afraid to go to a doctor because i buy the pills from friends...i dont swallow or chew them..i snort..any help or advice please!!
sassy
Man I thought eating 5 at a time was a lot but damn!!! You must be a very brave person,my congrats to you.I am 5 days clean of a 20 a day hydro/oxy habit(if you wanna call it a habit,more like a nightmare)Anyway I'm feeling awful but this is my 4th detox and I'm praying for success this time but I feel very weak right now so I'm hoping not to be put in a situation that might mess me up.Anyway,I was wondering ifsomeone could help,it want let me post a question so I apologize for interupting this thread.My husband is cleaning out my med cabinet to make sure nothing good is in there and he stumbled across 6 little pills that we don't recognize.Is there a website where you an identify pills?If so would someone give it to me.Otherwise does anyone recognize a small pill with a brown looking coating on it and it has 2103 v on one side and blank on the other.Any info would be great.Thanks for all you do, you have really helped me.I'll keep you all in my prayers.
Hello tobie, ya 5 80's is straight insanity.I feel I escaped death by a thread. (along with the 18norco as wellas drinking 1/2 a fifth of stoli'e vodka a night) I am amazed my liver didn't give up and tell me to f... off!  lol )
Anyway...in regards to your mystery pills I can only say my opinion and that is find a toilet and drop them in and get clean. Who cares what they are. I have already beat the demon, being me, and so can you but stop worrying about what some pills are and get back to being the real you which you know doesn't include opiates. I wish you all the luck and pray you never try to beat my ugly record because I was just plain dancing with death. May god help you have the strenght to beat the addiction and stay clean from the drugs.  take care
Thanks for response! I've not spoke with the orig PS as I don't know that he's too pleased with me doing the CT thing. His nurse suggested tapering but being the the Addictive Personality I am I figured better to suffer quick & hard than risk poving to myself & others that I am still too sick to handle "it" vs. "it" handling me. Even though i've not played with ETOH or Illicit drugs for sometime I must admit I really enjoyed the break from the real world I first experienced & re-experienced with the incresed dosage.

Last Tuesday I had an Epi in my C-Spine by an new PS I was referred to. I was antimate about my experience last summmer & fall & also about my SA hist. Needless to say few Docs want to tackle the medical & Psycho-social issues I present. They all want to refer me on or place the owness on my primary care Doc who's Mr. Ultra-conservative. Unfortunately i'm in Iowa, where though the people are highly educated they culturally see pain & suffering as a crucial part of the Mid-western work ethic.

So in answer to your question no I have not spoke to anyone about the use of the referenced subject. The
psych yesterday did mention Methadone but just the term scares the living **** out of me & I don't intimidate easily. I just want to find a way to manage this thing without loosing touch with what's important or getting back on the "Crazy Train" as we are the last to know!
Hello, I'm glad you found us!!
Assuming you want to stop:
The first thing i would do is start swallowing your OC's.
You are correct that others have bigger habits, but yours ain't so bad either......still equivalent to 24 regular percocets per day.
Ideally, the best way to taper would be to switch to a fast acting med like percocet or vikes, but if that isn't an option, you can still taper down with the OC's.  If you do choose the latter, the key would be to stabilize at each reduced amount.  Also remember the cardinal rule of tapering, THE LOWER THE SLOWER
Tapering(if you have the will power) can dramatically reduce the shock to the system!!
Read through the Thomas Recipe(posted in a few threads), as there are all kinds of good pointers to getting off opiates(even though it is designed for cold turkey detox).
Your fear of withdrawals is certainly warranted(we all share that one), but i can guarentee it will get exponentially worse the longer you leave it(and the higher doseages that you WILL end up on).  We can definately help you through this, as many here have accomplished exactly what you are facing...........you get the idea; you are not alone!!!!!

Please post more.

percs
Happy One Yr. Anniversary, hippee; and Easter, All.

rwc~
To wacky?  I am speechless.
How can anyone have back surgery everyday for 2 months?Somethings a little fishy here!!   Jerri
Come on Jerri2 its possible, I always knew that hitting the ground at 150 MPH and breaking my back in two places had nothing to do with my pain, it was something I did in a past life. I told everyone doctors don
Great to know that you're looking at as big a picture for you as possible right now. I guess it doesn't matter what path we all take as long as we end out where we want to be! Someone just recommended this book to me for pain and recovery - I haven't read it, I haven't seen it - I don't even know if I'd like it! But I'll probably pick it up this weekend and check it out. If you're interested: You Can Heal Your Life by Louise L. Hays. I'm sure there's a review of it on Amazon.com or something. maybe it could help. All the best.
Hi - I wanted to toss my two cents in about chronic pain. I've been plagued with severe migraines for about 20 years and have tried just about everything conventional and natural to combat them. Vitamins, herbs, acupuncture, massage, chiropractic, about 25 different types of medications and one day I just gave up because I just mentally couldn't try anything else anymore and then lo and behold, my Dr. prescribed Percosets. That's why I now hang out in this forum if you know what I mean! But, and that's a big BUT - what didn't work for me, may work for you. Have you thought about acupuncture or some other non-traditional healing method? Acupuncture is supposed to be very beneficial for people with back problems. I also attended a pain management class at my local hospital, most pf the people in the class had chronic back pain. They taught us a lot of great relaxation techniques and how to meditate and work through the pain. Most recently, when I decided to give up the Percs (and Fioricet) something kept popping up in books, magazines, etc. and I decided to give it a try. It's called Reiki. It's a hands off (some do a little hands on) healing process done by a trained Reiki practitioner. It's been awesome! My practitioner saw a woman who had to have back surgery every day for 2 months and the woman was able to cancel her surgery. I feel it has definitely speeded up my healing from withdrawing. What I'm about to type could be way too far out for anyone to consider, but many people have found peace from pain by going to a hypnotherapist who does past life regressions. If anyone believes that we are not just here this one and only lifetime, then read on - a lot of pain that we carry can come from an injury, mentally or physically, that was very traumatic to us in a past life. It can be expressed in your body at any time. Your soul and body carries the injury with it. Maybe go to a reputable person and have a past life regression done to find out why this back injury happened to you. Often once that is dicovered the pain subsides. I think you said you're from Iowa, are there any spiritual people there? :) Is that too wacky for everyone? All I can say is I'm ready to try anything again. I have my strength back and if it can help, than what the hell??