Addiction Forum

Mom is detoxing....what do I do?

My mom just had a knee replacement and the doc has been giving her hydrocodone....she's been fighting addiction for years now, every time she wants more and can't get the doc to give it he has a surgery or gets injured somehow and majorly plays up the pain, she goes through a bottle of 60 pills in 2-3 days, well now she is out again an detoxing, the doc won't give her anymore right now so she is having the diarrhea sweats shaky and weak symptoms, she is highly depressed and I'm scared she might hurt herself, but she won't go to the hospital, I'm trying to get her to call her doc but she's scared he'll do something to her even though I keep telling her he can help her. I don't know what to do anymore, my dad just kind of gives in to everything she says an to make it worse my husband just got a prescription for Vicodin for his wisdom teeth that he's getting out and we were trying to keep it from her but I guess my dad seen it and is asking him to give her one for her physical therapy appointment!! What do I do?!?!
There is really no easy way of detoxing from home. I have dealt with hundreds of addicts who have all told me horror stories of doing it by themselves.  I would only guess that if are successful in doing it at home you don't end up in my clinic. Just in case you are curious, it takes us three to four days to detox a patient and get him/her back home drug free and feeling well on Naltrexone therapy (no opiates).
At home, the basic technique is to space out the pills your husband takes on a consistent manner until he takes only one at night, then half at night and then none.  See if her doctor can write her a prescription for some Requip for restlessness, Neurontin for anxiety and malaise, some Flexeril or Soma for a few weeks for muscle spasms and maybe some Seroquel low dose, for sleep. It will make her withdrawals easier.  Valerian and Magnesium is sometimes helpful remedies over the counter.
Please don't let her start taking the opiates again as it will only throw her back into withdrawals once she stops again, and  make her relapse.  
But, seriously, she must be completely committed to the goal of quitting.  I have written a blog that has rather detailed information about options for detox. If you click on my name and then click on blogs you will see one under that heading.  Take a minute to read it. I hope you will find it helpful. You, as her child, can not make the commitment to quit for her. It must be hers alone. And frankly, from reading your letter, she sounds more like a drug seeker, than some one ready to quit.
It makes the situation very hard for your family, because watching your mom suffer is very painful. Unless she wants to quit, you have no control over this at all.
Good luck to you and your husband take a look at my blogs and my clinic website for even more info on narcotic detox www.mdsdrugdetox.com
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.