Addiction Forum

Nyquil & false indications of amphetamines

Posted by John on June 16, 1999 at 00:27:03
My son was recently given a drug test (urine) in the Marines which gave a positive indication for amphetamines.  My son swears he has taken no drugs.  There has been no previous indications or problems with drug use.
He was, however, taking Nyquil at the time because of a cold.  My previous experience with him was that he might have taken large doses of this medicine in excess of the manufactures recommended 24 hour dosages.
Are there any indications that this medication could or has caused false readings for amphetamines.  Any information provided would be appreciated as this is a very serious matter for my son.

Posted by SA, M.D. - HVMA on June 17, 1999 at 13:32:09
Dear John,
Nyquil contains the decongetant pseudoephedrine, which is chemically similar to amphetamine, and may, to the best of my knowledge, cause false positive drug screens.  Good luck!
DrSteve
Keywords:  Drug Testing, amphetamine, pseudoephedrine

Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.