Addiction Forum

Opiate Withdrawal While Pregnant

Hello.
I have been taking Vicodin 10/325 for almost 1 1/2 years. I have a legitimate prescription and take about 4-5 per day. Two months ago I was in a car accident and my pain management Dr prescribed me Percocet (15 mg no tylenol) to help manage the pain. In addition, I also suffer from severe anxiety/Depression and was prescribed Ambien, Xanax, and Doxepin to manage these symptoms (have been on these meds for 2 1/2 years).  I recently found out I was pregnant and called my OB to make an appointment. I explained my situation w the meds and the OB was unable to get me in until later in the week. The nurse advised me to stop taking the medications, but I dont feel she was very knowledgable regarding the meds. I quit the Vicodin, Xanax, and Doxepin cold turkey when I took the home pregnancy test. I am on day 4 now and have been absoulutely miserable. I cant keep anything down, no motivation, severe anxiety, no sleep). In addition, I immediately tapered the Percocets from 4 a day to 2 a day, but still take the Ambien to help sleep. I feel like I cant face another day like this. I see the OB tomorrow, but am terrified I did the wrong thing quitting cold turkey bc the WD has been awful. Which is worse: continuing the Vicodin use or WD on a 4-5 week fetus?!?! What are the potential side effects from WD or continued use? I am terrified I have caused my baby harm and feel like a selfish, crappy person. Please help!
You must discuss this with your OB/Gynecologist who will be mush more knowledgeable than the nurse.  I realize that this must be very stressful for you, but we women do our best work in the most stressful situations.  You must realize that you are not the only one in this predicament. We get this question on this forum over and over again from wonderful caring women who want to have healthy babies.  OBs treat many women in exactly the same situation. They will help you, because abrupt withdrawal may well be dangerous for the pregnancy.
Most benzos like Xanax are not advisable during pregnancy, so it is good that you stopped. Something like doxepin and Ambien maybe more acceptable, but again this needs to be brought to the attention of your doctor.
It is important to get prenatal care early especially when you have issues that need to be addressed. Emotional problems in pregnancy can lead to postpartum depression, so this needs to be addressed and aggressively treated, but most likely not with benzos.
On the other hand, if you slowly tapered the Percocet off your baby probably tapered slowly with you without any problems, but you should have done it with your doctor's supervision.
That way, you can be sure that by the time of the delivery both you and the baby are clean and ready to start healthy bonding and nursing.
The OB/midwife will also be there to guide you though good prenatal care, healthy nutrition, smoking cessation (if necessary), etc..
Good luck to you, motherhood is a career full of joys and pain, but we all do it for the joy of it...
P.S. Please read my blog on Pregnancy and Addiction by clicking on name in blue and then on blogs. Good luck to you and your growing family. You must take care of yourself for your baby.
Good luck to you.  
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.