MedHelp.org will cease operations on May 31, 2024. It has been our pleasure to join you on your health journey for the past 30 years. For more info, click here.

how long until the depression subsides?

Dr. I have been taking vicodin for about two years now and gradually I have managed to get myself up to about 8 pills per day.  I have stopped taking them completely about 4 days ago and I am so sad all the time.  I don't feel the sickness I have been reading about but I defindately feel extremely scared, anxious, sad, depressed etc.  This is what makes me crave the pill not the high but quashing this type of w/d that I experience.  I absoltely need to know about how long I can expect to feel depressed.  I absolutely will not take anti depressants, they make me feel so much worse.  I have thougt about tapering off slowly as I arge that I got this way slowly, but I am afraid that is just an excuse to keep using a bit.  I am a mother and I feel like I am not being a very good one right now.  Not because I am not taking care of my children, I am, but I feel like I can't function very well.  I am very tired and again, so so sad.

I am not a patient person and I feel like I need to feel better quickly in order to succeed.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
A related discussion, Suboxone withdrawal. was started.
Helpful - 0
Withdrawal from opiates takes a long time.  As I have said many times, the reason people think that Suboxone withdrawal is so horrible is only because people can sometimes taper off Suboxone, whereas they almost never taper off vicodin or oxycodone.  In general, the withdrawal depends on the tolerance (which relates more to the dose you have taken than to the time you have taken it), the half-life of the drug, and the potency of the drug.  Vicodin contains hydrocodone, which is intermediate potency and intermediate half-life.  Withdrawal usually peaks at around a week or two, and then lasts for about 4-6 weeks.  'Post-acute withdrawal' or PAWS will add a few more months;  the syndrome is thought to come from hypofunction of the frontal lobes after discontinuing opiates, and DOES seems to be related to the duration of use.  

The mood effects of antidepressants is NOT due to serotonin, but rather to the branch pattern of dendrites in the hippocampus, a part of the brain involved in mood and memory.  Many people have an initial dysphoric response to the serotonin that comes from the early effects of SSRIs;  the mood effects can't occur for about 4 weeks, and most people discontinue SSRIs long before getting to their therapeutic effects.  

The real frustration in late addiction  is that people will be able to go through withdrawal, as they are desperate and motivated to do so... but as soon as they feel better again, they relapse.  If you find yourself in this pattern, I encourage you to minimize the time of the 'denial'-- the time when people keep believing that 'just one more time will be the charm'.  If you relapse after making it all the way through withdrawal, it is time for an intensive recovery program or long-term maintentance.

Jeff
Helpful - 0
That "no go" feeling is the pits...... I feel that the amino acid L-Tyrosine helped with the crippling lack of motivation....500 to 2000 milligrams before breakfast worked well.   I also felt that the amino acid 5-HTP worked pretty well for helping to address the depression problem. And then we need to realize that just plain time helps one heck of a lot. Take the time and steps required and you will feel like a better mom shortly. You must do this now or you will advance to the next round and you will feel the withdrawals that you have read about next time. It doesnt get easier as you go.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Addiction Forum

Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.