Addiction Forum

severe withdraw from Klonipin

My 51 year old sister was  taken off Klonopin by her MD after being on it for 15 years.  The protocol he gave her for weaning off the drug was 6 weeks.  This was a little over 5 months ago.  Since then, she has been severly sleep deprived, having anxiety and panic episodes 10-15x per day including during the night, shaking uncontrollably, losing weight, nausea, unreasonable fear, etc.  During this period she was put on prednisone for asthma, Atarax to calm her and now Valium.  She is off both the prednisone and the Atarax but still on the valium, which incidently is not helping her at all.  She takes a dose at night before going to bed.  She is sleeping approx 3 hours per night.  She has very, very limited resources as she has no health insurance.Can you offer any suggestions?  I am not sure what to do for her.  Resources in Cincinnati for low-income people are on a 3 month waiting list.  I am afraid that she may not be around in 3 months if I don't get her help.  
You sister should be in touch with the doctor who is treating her for anxiety. If she is still experiencing panic attacks she may need to question the reasons she was taken off the Klonopin to begin with. I do not see the advantage of Valium as it is switching one benzodiazepine for another.
I am glad she is off the prednisone though, since it was definitely contributing to increased anxiety and insomnia. Even in a low-income clinic a physician should promptly see an active patient who is having a medication issue or resolve over the phone. Good luck to both of you.
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.