A
A
A
Close
Addison's Disease Community
177 Members
12778343 tn?1427211122

Information for anyone having their ACTH levels tested

Rumpled mentions many times that the blood draw must be into a chilled container and iced immediately.  When my ACTH was drawn, I told the tech that.  She said it was not necessary and they didn't do it.  So I don't consider my ACTH levels as valid.
Here is what LabCorp says on their website:  
"ACTH should be drawn between 7 AM and 10 AM.
Collect into iced plastic or siliconized glass lavender-top (EDTA) tube, noting time of collection. After venipuncture, immediately immerse the tubes in an ice bath. Separate plasma from cells by centrifugation within one hour after venipuncture.1,2 Transfer the plasma into a LabCorp PP transpak frozen purple tube with screw cap (LabCorp N° 49482) immediately. Freeze immediately and maintain frozen until tested. Contact LabCorp's supply department for special tubes. To avoid delays in turnaround time when requesting multiple tests on frozen samples, please submit separate frozen specimens for each test requested. "
1 Responses
657231 tn?1453836403
COMMUNITY LEADER
http://clinchem.aaccjnls.org/content/53/2/358
Have an Answer?
Top Thyroid Answerers
657231 tn?1453836403
Northern, NJ
Learn About Top Answerers
Popular Resources
We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them
How eating more salt may actually save your life.
A deeper look into the relationship between salt and hypertension.
Why checking at new times can help.
Could you benefit from this alternative glucose testing method?