I'm 26 years old and I've long suspected that i have some issues with my hormones.. here are the reasons:
- slight gynecomastia from puberty
- so-so libido
- impossible to gain muscle
- extremely easy to gain fat (mainly stomach, hips)
- i've got cellulite, stretch marks on legs/hips
- very tired in afternoon, despite very good sleep.. energy just fades
- i just feel weird and old.. can't explain
..and i could go on and on..
I've been fat as a child and till bout 9th grade, when I really started with a lot of exercise and seriously cleaned out my diet (which was never bad at all!). Everyone around me has always been skinny. I've really been working out a lot and eating properly. In this time I also became a certified personal trainer, finished a degree in nutrition and sports.
At the moment I'm no my optimal fitness level, with still lots of fat, mainly hips,chest (though that is gyno - also verified by an endo) and stomach.
Now to my blood tests:
After my first visit ot the doctor, he put me on minor blood tests for:
- S-Testosterone : 3,75 ng/ml (3,0-8,0)
- TSH : once 2,05 mUI/L and another time 1,54 mUI/L
- S-Glucose: 4,6 nmol/L
He said I'm perfectly fine. I argued that my T levels are quite loq for a 26 year old and that I'd like another checkup with an endo.. so he sent me there.
Blood work with endo:
- S- Prolactin : average 14,7 ug/L --- tested three times - ne reference ranges given
- S-Albumin : 47 g/L
- S-Test : 16,8 nmmol/L (5,5-30,4)
- LH : 1,9 mUI/mL
- FSH: 2,7 mUI/mL
- SHBG : 33,6 nmol/L
- TSH : 1,44 uU/ml
- Cortisol : 763 nmol/L
- Cortisol 30 min after ACHT : 886 nmol/L
- he also tested for some other stuff.. only thing that's standing out is low potassium levels. Though i monitored my diet specially for that all the time. Making sure I got more then enough.. no idea how its low.
This endo concluded that I'm perfectly fine. He even said Optimal. What I see is low'ish T, low LH and FSH, high cortisol and somewhat high prolactin. All tests were done at around 8am.
Was a bit worried about this results and went to another endo for a second opinion..He noticed the high cortisol, for other he said it's all fine. So he put me on some other blood tests:
- S-PSA : 0,48 µg/L
- S-DHEA-S : 6,7µmol/L (3,6 - 13)
- S-Testosterone : 17,2 nmol/L (8,8-30,6)
- S-Testosterone Free : 32,1 pmol/L (31 - 94)
- Prolactin : 13 µg/L
- Estradiol : 0,16 nmol/L (0 - 0,21)
- FSH : 2,07 E/L (0,7 - 11)
- LH: 2,32 E/L (0,8 - 7,6)
- TSH : 1,9 mE/L
He put me on DXA (L1-L4) scan that diagnosed me with Osteopenia (T-SCORE -1,5, -0,8, -0,5, -1,5).
He DID NOT put me on cortisol/ACHT tests, which is rather strange. Potassium was again low, simply no idea why, since previous blood test i even added some potassium supplements and even more spinach etc. I'm getting like 300%+ rda of it.
His conclusion was that I'm perfectly fine. Only thing he said that I can get the gynecomastia surgically removed.
Ok.. even gyno is kind of proof that something isn't right. On this tests I see results that are ok for a 60 year old guy, but not with someone who's 26 years old (T/E ratio is basically upside down). From the look of it I have secondary hypogonadism.. i guess I'll have to wait a few years to fall below the reference values and get help then! Though some values already are over/below.
Can anyone comment on these results? Thank you very much!