Adrenal Insufficiency Community

Is there a Treatment/Supplement to get rid of brain fog from adrenal fatigue?

Brain fog is a real problem.  I know there are supplements for clarity, but I can't find them.  Does anyone know how I can get 'clear' again?  The problems with concentration aren't as scary as this brain fog.
Thanks!
  Hi again. I had my daughter tested last Sept. for symptoms similar to what you've been feeling. ( by a nutritionist. Doctors don't do these tests very often, Organic acids, urine amino acids, IgG and IgE antibody, G.I. Function Profile). The tests showed she had a significant intestinal yeast overgrowth, and low levels of iron, leading to ammonia toxicity, causing her brain fog.

Based on her tests, it was recommended she take a supplement of arginine (an amino acid) and magnesium, to clear the brain fog, and go on an anti-yeast diet, along with other SPECIFIC supplements, such as B6, zinc, a chelated form of iron, L- glutamine, probiotics, digestive enzymes and an immunoglobulin supplement powder. (I love this nutritionist, but she's expensive!) These are just some of her supplements, again, based on her specific test results.

Anyway, my daughter's brain fog cleared after a few days, and all of her symptoms are gone, except she is still too thin, can't put on weight (the anti-carbs diet isn't helping this, of course!), and she still has cold hands and feet, but it takes time to bring up the iron level. Also, she is a typical stressed out college student who stays up too late and doesn't get enough sleep.

Interestingly, her 8 am cortisol was high, (28.4), and her total T4 was also high. (12/mcg/DL)

Naturally, I would want to recommend you see a nutritionist, one who knows what to test for. In spite of the expense, I love having these tests in hand to refer to, to answer some of my questions and to show doctors, who for some reason don't value these tests.
My daughter is doing SO much better!

Enzy
Thanks again, enzy!  I can't afford a nutritionist, unfortunately, or I would definitely go that route.
I would recommend that if at all possible you get good supplements. The ones from discount stores are usually so full of fillers they are not able to be assimilated in the body.

It is hard because the natural route is out of pocket and it does get very expensive.

Research DHEA, as that is good for adrenal problems.
also, it takes a loonnngggg time. Don't give up on yourself. Hang in there.
Yes  !! I got one from my local health food store and yes it works , its called Adrenal Support Capsules by Soloray but there are other makes, they are not too expensive either ,I have been taking them for about 2 months now and still feel good, they took about 3 days to kick in and I had brain fog and every other kind of fog you can think of, all gone, they lifted my mood completly . Hope you try them and you have the same effect I got.
I would NOT be taking DHEA without treating cortisol levels. When the pituitary senses low levels of cortisol and/or DHEA, it puts out ACTH which tells the adrenals to get to work. If you have low functioning adrenals, with a resulting low level of cortisol, adding DHEA is going to completely shut down your ACTH production.  

If you have Hashi's disease, (autoimmune thyroid dysfunction) there's a good chance that you have polyglandular autoimmune syndrome, (PAS occur when the immune system attacks the endocrine glands and cripples hormone production.) but it's really difficult to test for - best to just treat the symptoms of low thyroid and low adrenal output.

As for the brain fog -- Besides staying away from refined foods and exercising regularly, I found that Omega 3 is essential.

Good luck,
~~Sherta
Thanks for all the responses.  I'm thinking of trying Adrenal Caps, but not sure if I should do that without a doctor's supervision.  
You can ask your Doctor but your original question was regarding taking supplements anyway....
  Sherta -  Good point about DHEA.  DHEA is a hormone, and like other hormones, if it's out of balance, even a little, it can cause strong symptoms.
Testing hormone levels should always be done, before taking a supplemental hormone of any kind, and under the supervision of a professional.
I am talking about Adrenal support capsules not the DHEA ones, I am not certain if you have to speak to a Doctor about every vitamin or supplement you take but however if you are concerned it would be a good thing, as said in my last post, Your question was about supplements and I was giving you the input as I had found my experience to be, I googled it for information before I took them and did my own research ..
Thanks margypops and others for your responses.

It's now the slow-thinking, or memory problems that bother me as much as this 'fog,' lack of clarity.

Have you had your thyroid levels -- TSH, Free T3, Free T4 – checked?   T3 will hold on to the recpectors in the brain for as long as it can and it’s the last to go in low thyroid impairment.  People used to be thrown in a phys ward and determined crazy.  Now there are numerous studies that show that T3 therapy helps even patients with no thyroid deficiency who have depression.  Another thing to keep in mind is that fluoride and other toxins can and will deplete iodine that is needed for efficient thyroid function.  Also, food intolerances can cause significant brain FOG, in addition to stripping the body of needed nutrients.  GMO in processed oils can cause much harm including mega brain irregularities.  

Good luck,
~~Sherta