adrenal fatigue or thyroid issues?

How can you tell the difference if you have adrenal fatigue issues or just low thyroid?
Untreated hypothyroidism puts stress on the adrenal glands so having both conditions is common. A few signs that are found with hypothyroidism but not with adrenal fatigue include sparse or missing outer third (Queen Anne sign/Sign of Hertogze), fluid retention, and poor reflexes. Body temperature is generally steady where as with adrenal fatigue it fluctuates a lot. A few home tests to try:

In Dr. Wilson's book, Adrenal Fatigue , he lists 3 tests you can do at home to help determine if you have Adrenal Fatigue:

Test #1: Iris Contraction Test
Equipment required: chair, small flashlight, mirror, a watch (with a second hand), and a dark room.

In a darkened room, sit in a chair in front of a mirror. Holding the flashlight at the side of your head, shine it across one eye (not into the eye). Watch what happens in the mirror.

You should see your pupil contract immediately after the light hits the eye. The pupil will normally stay contracted, but if you have adrenal fatigue, the pupil won't be able to hold its contraction and will dilate. This dilation will take place within 2 minutes and last for about 30-45 seconds before it contracts again. Time how long the dilation lasts and record it along with the date. Retest monthly as it serves as an indicator of recovery.

Test #2: Blood Pressure Test
If your blood pressure drops when you stand up from a lying position, this almost always indicates low adrenals. This can be measured with a blood pressure gauge (a sphygmomanometer), which you can buy at a drug store. Make sure to purchase the type that doesn't require a stethoscope to take your blood pressure.

Make sure to do this test when you are well hydrated or it could give you a false positive. Lie down quietly for about 10 minutes, then take your blood pressure (while still lying down). Then stand up and measure your blood pressure immediately upon standing. Normally blood pressure will rise 10-20mmHg from standing up. If your blood pressure drops, you likely have adrenal fatigue. The more severe the drop, the more severe the adrenal fatigue.

Test #3: Sergent's White Line
This is only present in about 40% of people with Adrenal Fatigue, but if the test is positive, it's a "slam dunk" confirmation.

With a ballpoint pen, take the cap end of the pen and lightly stroke the skin on your abdomen, making a mark about 6" long. Within a few seconds, a line should appear. In a normal reaction, the mark is initially white, but reddens within a few seconds. If you have Adrenal Fatigue, the line will stay white for about 2 minutes and will also widen.

From stop the thyroid madness:

HOW DOES MY TEMPERATURE DIAGNOSE HYPOTHYROIDISM?

Generally, the average temperature of an adult with a healthy thyroid and a healthy metabolism is 98.6 degrees Fahrenheit or 37.0 degrees Celsius, and that occurs around mid-afternoon or 3 pm. So if you take your mid-afternoon temp and find it in low 98′s or even in the 97′s, you have been given a strong clue that you may be hypothyroid. And a few report their mid-afternoon temp being in the 96′s. BRRRR.

Another temperature clue occurs first thing in the morning before you raise from your bed. Dr. Broda Barnes, a doctor who paid attention to clinical presentation and prescribed the pre-reformulated Armour, found that a healthy before-rising morning basal temp should be between 97.8 – 98.2. If it’s higher, you may be hyperthyroid, and if it’s lower, you are most likely hypothyroid. He also recommended under-the-arm temperature testing, but patients have found oral to be just as effective."
I didn't finish one of my sentences...sparse or missing outer third of the eyebrows (Queen Anne sign/Sign of Hertoghe). :)
I have terrible fatigue, asthma, sleep apnea and TSH of 0.74 so maybe I am hyperthyroid.  Do I need to eat kelp and iodized salt for a month to have better health?  I also had really low cortisol and don't know if I need HC.  I don't feel more energy on prednisone or medrol and still can't sleep
COMMUNITY LEADER
How much prednisone and medrol are you taking? You may have steroid-induced Cushing's. That would make it difficult to sleep and as well suppress your adrenals. The fatigue is from the medication...

You are reading content posted in the Adrenal Insufficiency Community