Aa
A
A
A
Close
Adrenal Insufficiency Community
1.32k Members

elevated 17-hydroxyprogesterone test?

I just had some tests done and the 17-hydroxyprogesterone test came back elevated. I am now going to do an ACTH stimulation test. Does anyone know anything about non classical adrenal hyperplasia?????
I suffer from high testosterone, irregular periods, hypothyroid, depression, etc......could this all be related to the adrenal glands?????? I am really confused about all of this!!!!

Please help me!
4 Responses
sorry, the test was done on the 3rd day of my period and it was 232.
I recently got test results that showed elevated levels of 17 hydroxyprogesterone and have all the symptoms/characteristics you describe.

How were you treated for this?  What did it end up being?
COMMUNITY LEADER
I found this on the internet:
"Non-classical(NCAH) (also known as Late-Onset CAH) is a variation of CAH that can begin to cause noticeable changes at any time from early childhood through early adulthood but is not immediately life-threatening. NCAH can have a range of symptoms which overlap with other disorders and therefore may not be easily diagnosed, and so is less likely to be diagnosed promptly.

Girls born with NCAH have normal genitals. Boys also appear normal. Because the symptoms begin later in life, NCAH is sometimes called late-onset CAH, adult-onset CAH, or the attenuated form of CAH. Non-classical CAH does not progress to classical CAH in affected individuals.

NCAH may be picked up in infants through newborn screening tests, but they do not necessarily need treatment. Parents can be aware of the symptoms of the disorder and seek treatment if it becomes necessary. Only those children/adults who are symptomatic should be treated. Some with NCAH never experience bothersome symptoms. Those with NCAH who have no symptoms do not need treatment.

What are the symptoms of NCAH?
NCAH symptoms vary from person to person. Also, one person’s symptoms may come and go over time. These symptoms can begin at any time in life and may start in early childhood. These symptoms are often mistaken for premature puberty - girls with signs of puberty before age 8 and boys before age 9. It is progressive, meaning that the untreated symptoms may become worse over time."

The treatment is generally one of the forms of long acting corticosteroids like dexamethasone or prednisone.

COMMUNITY LEADER
Have an Answer?
Top Thyroid Answerers
MI
Northern, NJ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.