Adults with Special Needs Community
242 Members
Avatar universal

Parents can't handle my brother

I need help and suggestions for my parents.  They are late 60's-70, and my 30 year old brother with special needs lives with them.  He is killing them slowly.

He qualifies as high functioning mentally retarded.  He gets in trouble with the police for little things like shoplifting, and has been to jail a few times longest he had to stay was a few months.  He has a pot and pill problem that has progressed to needles.  He has been in and out of rehab programs a few times and nothing works.  

He needs nearly constant supervision or he does something to get in trouble.  He has had a car and a job, but can't seem to keep either.  He gets fired for doing things like wandering off for 3 hours and being found sitting in bushes smoking for 3 hours while on the clock.  He was supposed to be pushing carts at a grocery store.

They live in FL, and no one they or I have found even had any ideas, yet alone been able to help.  I have tried to get my parents to look for a more restrictive environment for him like a group home or facility.  He receives nearly no SS and my parents can not afford much of anything.  I think he needs much more structure.  My parents feel like sending him somewhere will be abandoning him.

I belive either he will kill my parents, either with his direct action or indirectly, or go to prison any day now.
Please help me before I have to bury my parents which will make me kill my brother.
3 Responses
5842324 tn?1375260480
Yes I agree help is definitely needed, you say he is on SS there are programs through the SS office that can help such as a Case Worker , honestly it sounds like he needs to go to a therapist to try and help him as well, with the problems you are describing I am surprised the state hasn't stepped in to help, the police won't be much help except to lock him up like a criminal but it sounds like he really doesn't understand fully his actions and he does need a structured environment ....  here is a web address with different information about some help in your state , I HOPE IT HELPS
                                                             http://www.ehow.com/info_8181017_agencies-mentally-disabled-people.html                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       God Bless
1696489 tn?1370825574
GET HELP NOW.  Notify police that you have reason to believe your parents are in grave danger.  Maybe through the police, you can not only get protection for your parents, but something done to have your brother cared for in a more positive environment for him.  Blessings - Blu
Avatar universal
According to this history it appears as Learning disability, behavioral problems and possible personality disorder. Other question is that whether he is smoking cannabis.What ever it is, following are possible helps.
1. Medical management with anti psychotic drugs
2 BEHAVIOR therapy
3 rehabilitation in a long stay unit
4 social support -GO/NGO
Top General Health Answerers
19694731 tn?1482853437
Learn About Top Answerers
Popular Resources
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.