Agoraphobia Community
444 Members

Clonazepam

I have taken Clonazepam 2 mg 2-3 times daily for many years. My new psychiatrist took me totally off Clonazepam and switched me to Ativan 1 mg 3 times daily.  I think he made too drastic of a change.  I am having withdrawal symptoms and it is very upsetting.  Shouldn't the change have been comparable.  He literally told me he was angry with me for questioning him about the change and not wanting to go through withdrawal.
I would try a new doc. It sounds strange to me that he/she would drastically change you from one to the other. I. Opposite of you , Ativan made me very depressed and I asked  my doc to try kolonopin and he agreed . I have to call him if I have any sudden changes in mood and he responds! It's amazing I've never had psych doc like this . So far for 2 weeks kolonopin is better and has worked best for me. But if Ativan works for you  then that's what your body needs.

Best regards, keep us posted
I am having terrible withdrawals.  I made him aware and he will not increase the Ativan to the equivalent of the Clonazepam.  I'm a mess.
is there any way for you to get a new doc?? what the reason for the sudden change to Ativan?
It would take 4mg of Ativan to equal 2mg clonazepam. Your new dr. reduced your benzodiazepine medication by half of what you were used to taking. If the dr. got angry, then I assume either you came off rude, or he expressed his opinion in a rude way. It sounds like the dr. thinks you are on too much benzo's and wants your dose down. If you are wanting to taper down, then I'd go to a different dr. and say you want to taper down, but feel the withdrawals are too much and you feel you need to taper more slowly than your current dr is willing to do. If you do not want to taper down, and you feel you absolutely need the same dosage, then you will need to find a dr. willing to prescribe you that much. Either way, if this dr. is not willing to budge even by tapering more slowly, you need to find another dr.
I'm afraid of my psychiatrist retiring and no one else willing to prescribe me my xanax 1mg 3 times daily. Withdrawals are horrendous, and I'm an RN and give a lot of injections. Withdrawals can cause shaky hands (Among many other horrible effects,) and I CANNOT taper too fast as a nurse needing dexterity.

2 mg's of Ativan (Lorazepam) is approximately equal to 1 mg of Clonazepam (Clonazepam).
Ratio:
The ratio of Lorazepam to Clonazepam is 2:1
Thank you.  My PC has taken over my care and was very upset with the unprofessional way the psychiatrist handled my case.  I was a mess and very suicidal.  Any psychiatrist who would handle someone in the shape I was should be disbarred.  Don't they realize they could put someone in my state over the edge?  I wasn't rude, I'm pretty laid back and was in total shock with the way I was treated.
I am so sorry.  I hope by this time you have gotten additional help.  Sometimes we are in no condition to reason with them and we feel like victims which makes it even worse.  Please let us know how you are.  I care.
I went back to my PC and he is handling my care.  Clonopazipam works best for me.  We are trying to fine tune my meds.  Been a rough couple of months.
I don't know.  My PC is now handling my care and we are trying to fine tune the meds.  He was appalled at how the psychiatrist handled me at a very critical time.  It's been a rough couple of months but I see a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel.
Thank you.  My PC is now handling my care and was appalled at how I was treated.  We are trying to fine tune my meds and I see a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel.
  Sometimes we are in no condition to reason with them and we feel like victims which makes it even worse.
doctors suck
i was cut off my oxy's prescribed for sciatic (long term pain issues)
when i described tolerance issues
they'll simply quit you when they want, cuz they can
if it hasn't happened it just hasn't happened yet....
doctors can be too cold and shouldn't be working :
more so maybe than most professions
glad to see your at a PC , i hated the family doctor experience so much
i simply
couldn't bare the thought of having to deal with another doctor
best of luck Chuck
you have to never just "go on" what a doctor suggests
my fd suggested more drugs
rather than to tell me to work at becoming Diabetes free
that's regularly the case
and just isn't right

there's a lack of consumer support
i have a pretty good doc now, i'm kept comfortable from numbing pain
so i thank her for my life
but she doesn't get that my back issues have rendered me incapacitated
largely
i'm going to try and beg her to allow for a disability tax credit
who knows what will happen
mean while we are struggling financially because I simply cannot walk or handle the pain issues while working
believe me i tried and i failed

i think there's a disconnect between doctors and patients
poor me poor me k(not pour me another one though lol)