Aa
A
A
A
Close
Agoraphobia Community
445 Members

Depression & Anxiety Disorder

I suffer from chronic depression and a general anxiety disorder.  The only medicine that gives me energy and makes me feel better is hydrocodone.  By taking this medication I feel better than any other anti-depressants or anti-anxiety medication that I have been taking.  Can my pyschiatrist prescribe me hydrocodone to help me for my depression and anxiety disorder?
3 Responses
1244499 tn?1397549123
They technically can, but they would save it as a last resort. Even then, they may not do it.
1118884 tn?1338596450
I had a similar situation awhile back.  Not sure what your med is, but understand your question.   Agree with AJRC.....they are medical docs so sure they can prescribe meds.

The thing is, if it is a med generally not prescribed (head meds)....then believe they would refer you.  No harm is asking.

Oh...the med I asked doc about was a muscle relaxant.  I was sure it was better than any antidepressant.  He did write a script to be taken with whatever antidepressant I was on at time....soon discovered that depression didn't go away with a good night's sleep and relaxation from back spasms:).

BTW: happy to respond to you ....but this is the agoraphobia forum.  Seems your question might get more attention in the depression or anxiety forums.
1396840 tn?1285536675
Hi,

I'm on many pschy. meds for depression and bipolar disorder and have been for the last 20 years. I've never taken hydrocodone and to my knowledge it is used for pain relief.  I know some people experience depression due to chronic pain and in that case a p. doc may prescribe it to you. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Top Anxiety Answerers
Arlington, VA
675718 tn?1530036633
El Paso, TX
Learn About Top Answerers
Popular Resources
Find out what can trigger a panic attack – and what to do if you have one.
A guide to 10 common phobias.
Take control of tension today.
These simple pick-me-ups squash stress.
Don’t let the winter chill send your smile into deep hibernation. Try these 10 mood-boosting tips to get your happy back
Want to wake up rested and refreshed?