Aa
A
A
A
Close
Agoraphobia Community
445 Members

agoraphobia

I feel like such a mucked up person. I have had anxiety, panic attacks, GAD and fear of vomiting since late childhood. Recently i have realized i think i have agoraphobia as well- avoid travel with others incase i get sick and cannot escape- and just my luck i get motion sickness easily. As i have got older, i have felt a stronger urge to not stay anywhere long as i need to get home, I am scared something- like a storm or earthquake will stop me from getting back to my house. Travelling away from home overnight is just not something i do and makes me feel pretty ill from anxiety if  i have to- had to visit my father in another city. I have to visit him again as he is very old- the need to fly is hellish and then to have to stay away is very stressful too. But how do you explain all this to anyone- its just pathetic and no-one really seems to understand anxiety. It just seems like i am totally selfish. I guess i am.
3 Responses
I will not go outside unless there is something that I must do. When I go anywhere and have to stay, I usually sit next to the nearest exit or window. If I stay or go anywhere I have already created a path to get out in a hurry should something happens. In any new place as soon as I arrive I have a plan in my head what steps I need to take, what I need to grab as I'm leaving. I do not go to crowded places that block exits for me either. Call me crazy but I have done this since I have been little it has gotten worse lately. I wasn't aware of the word agoraphobia until a month or so ago. I really didn't think anything was wrong with what I was doing and that it is actually a phobia! I have lived like this for years. Go figure.
91034 tn?1401419903
I have the same exact fear of throwing up, or getting sick in public places! You are not alone and you are not crazy! It's just a phobia/anxiety and a "irrational" fear we live with. Every time I have to talk in front of people I almost have a panic attack and think I'm going to vomit or **** myself. It's the fear of embarrassment. My therapist says it's from trauma as a child , that we just started working on dealing with. I take pepto and emitrol everytime I'm in these situations. I carry a plastic bag with me and extra pair of pants (which I have never had to use) but it's a comfort to know I have it. YOUR NOT SELFISH!! YOUR NOT ALONE!! Have you spoke with a doc??
20842584 tn?1533058715
Oh God, this has been me since high school with the fear of gagging/throwing up. It has literally ruined my entire adult life as I had to drop out of school and couldn't work outside of the home ever again because it was so bad. SOmetimes even going out with friends or family is impossible; like it's a fun outing, nothing is going wrong, but I'll still get the stupid gagging and feel like I need to get home immediately.
NO ONE understands; my sister has anxiety too but not the gagging thing so she's always bullying me, telling me how she gets over hers and that I can too - but the fear of vomiting is just too strong, I can rarely go anywhere anymore.
My bf doesn't get it; he'll support me and always take me home if I need to but I don't think he agrees with it or understands. Nobody does. I definitely feel somewhat agoraphobic and I go out less and less and less.
It used to be that I'd make certain to go out for at least an hour a day, walking or window shopping. Now it's starting to get that I don't go out for days - but staying in also makes me feel worse, and crazy.

It's agonizing. I'm so glad to see I'm not alone in this. I know people are going to try to tell me to take meds or go see a counselor or doc - I've done EVERYTHING okay, over the past fifteen years. NOTHING has worked, not the yoga or relaxation practises. Nothing.
I think mostly I just need friends who go through the same thing so I can find support from them - it's killing me, especially the depression and loneliness that accompanies this.
1 Comments
Oh i feel for you and i wish the people in our lives could understand like we do.. I remember reading about Emetaphobia- fear of vomiting- and being amazed- had always thought it was just me-all my life since i was a teenager. i stopped eating before and during school nearly all my highschool years so that i wouldn't throw up in class.  I never told anyone- how could you?! No therapy had helped me either- or meds.  Always wonder if hypnosis would but the thought of losing control- prob the core of my fear- is too scary and that is what happens with hypnosis! Sending you love and strength..i know you have lots of it-i think we have to to cope with this. Theres an Emetaphobiawebsite/forum...you might find it helpful xox
Have an Answer?
Top Anxiety Answerers
Arlington, VA
675718 tn?1530036633
El Paso, TX
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out what can trigger a panic attack – and what to do if you have one.
A guide to 10 common phobias.
Take control of tension today.
These simple pick-me-ups squash stress.
Don’t let the winter chill send your smile into deep hibernation. Try these 10 mood-boosting tips to get your happy back
Want to wake up rested and refreshed?