Aa
A
A
Close

agoraphobia

I feel like such a mucked up person. I have had anxiety, panic attacks, GAD and fear of vomiting since late childhood. Recently i have realized i think i have agoraphobia as well- avoid travel with others incase i get sick and cannot escape- and just my luck i get motion sickness easily. As i have got older, i have felt a stronger urge to not stay anywhere long as i need to get home, I am scared something- like a storm or earthquake will stop me from getting back to my house. Travelling away from home overnight is just not something i do and makes me feel pretty ill from anxiety if  i have to- had to visit my father in another city. I have to visit him again as he is very old- the need to fly is hellish and then to have to stay away is very stressful too. But how do you explain all this to anyone- its just pathetic and no-one really seems to understand anxiety. It just seems like i am totally selfish. I guess i am.
Cancel
2 Answers
Page 1 of 1
I will not go outside unless there is something that I must do. When I go anywhere and have to stay, I usually sit next to the nearest exit or window. If I stay or go anywhere I have already created a path to get out in a hurry should something happens. In any new place as soon as I arrive I have a plan in my head what steps I need to take, what I need to grab as I'm leaving. I do not go to crowded places that block exits for me either. Call me crazy but I have done this since I have been little it has gotten worse lately. I wasn't aware of the word agoraphobia until a month or so ago. I really didn't think anything was wrong with what I was doing and that it is actually a phobia! I have lived like this for years. Go figure.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
91034 tn?1401419903
I have the same exact fear of throwing up, or getting sick in public places! You are not alone and you are not crazy! It's just a phobia/anxiety and a "irrational" fear we live with. Every time I have to talk in front of people I almost have a panic attack and think I'm going to vomit or **** myself. It's the fear of embarrassment. My therapist says it's from trauma as a child , that we just started working on dealing with. I take pepto and emitrol everytime I'm in these situations. I carry a plastic bag with me and extra pair of pants (which I have never had to use) but it's a comfort to know I have it. YOUR NOT SELFISH!! YOUR NOT ALONE!! Have you spoke with a doc??
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Looking for a Doctor?
Shop for health care like an expert. Find the best doctors based on reviews from patients like you.
Agoraphobia Community Resources
Top Anxiety Answerers
Blank
Arlington, VA
675718 tn?1449992146
Blank
El Paso, TX