My husband is an alcoholic
My husband is an alcoholic

My husband is 34 yrs old and hes been drinking most of his life,3 yrs ago he went to the ER they told him if he didnt quit he would be dead in a year,well lets just say he didnt listen and switched from beer to liquior,about a month ago he went back to the ER with swelling and pain in both legs the hospital admitted him and diagnosed him with chf,blood clots and said he had a small stroke and he had fluid in his lungs he was also very jaundice they discharged him after 3 days sent him home with a weeks worth of antibiotics, when he got home the chest pains got worse he had no appetite swollen stomach and alot of blood in his stools he also has those red blotches all over his body that kind of look like red spiders sorry cant remember the medical term,I cant get him to go to to his doctors appointments and he is still drinking heavy but this weeks its like hes going back to normal hes eating not sleeping as much has alot more energy not as much chest pains not blood in his stools and its solid is this normal? I know he cant be getting better right? He not on any medications has anyone ever heard of this? Im confused of whats going on.
It sounds like he was in bad shape back when they only gave him 1 year  (obviously that was just a guess) so 3 years of drinking later things have to be worse.
You would have to talk it over with a doctor who sees him now to get the answers about whether he can physically get better. Since he doesn't care enough to stop drinking and your post indicates that he might not be around for long, then YOUR future is something that you should be thinking about now. Thinking a lot that is.
The biggest thing that's going on that could dramatically change, is you. You have the power to force change that might have him change. When i got together with my alcoholic husband, we made a pact. (i am an alcoholic too). If either of us use (slip, relapse etc). then that person will immediately go to a 90 day Relapse Prevention Program. My husband's first wife was not good for him and he would have died had he stayed. I , on the other hand, understood what i was dealing with and demanded that we were accountable to ourselves and each other. When he relapsed early on in our relationship, i had him committed to the hospital for 2+ months, and then directly on the 90 day Relapse Prevention Residential Program. He ahsn't used since the day he was committed. 20 years later, we are both clean and sober. Allowing your husband to continue to drink with you as his caretaker is enabling him and destroying your peace and happiness. Do what you can to help you, by talking to an Addiction's Therapist about how to help an addict, and allow it to have a trickle down effect on your husband. You're in my thoughts and prayers and i'm here anytime if you wish to talk. You deserve your best life. Life is short, there's no time to waste.
You were given excellent advice.  How are things going now?
Thread is more than a year old.