Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close
605037 tn?1224949063

Why do I keep getting involved with alcholics

I once had a counselor tell me if I was in a room full of men, I would be drawn to the alcholic ones.  True, I have been married twice and both were alcholics.  I am still married to the second one, but what can I do help him?  I have been to alanon and it helped for a while with the first husband, but I work two jobs and I come home to a drunk husband who works only one job.  I feel like somehow I contribute to his drinking but don't know why I think this way.  He's 44 years old and knows better.  
6 Responses
410877 tn?1245973772
Maybe you should skip alanon and just go see a counsellor. There's a book out there called Smart Women, Stupid Choices (but now I'm not exactly sure on the title). It's about why we choose the the wrong men and how to go about meeting the right ones. It can help you learn your own destructive cycle, so you can break it. You sound like you're intelligent to know that you defiitely should NOT feel like you contribute to his drinking, but you just don't quite believe it. Spend your time figuring out what you can do to focus more on you than on your husband's addiction. If you believe in God, PRAY. That's what got me through my toughest times.
177641 tn?1189755837
Were either of your parents alcoholics? Have you read "The Complete ACOA Sourcebook: Adult Children of Alcoholics at Home, at Work and in Love"? Consider picking it up. As a child of an alcoholic I found it *very* helpful in opening my eyes as to why I was falling into certain patterns again and again. It's a great book for anyone coming from any kind of dysfunctional family (not just alcoholic) and helps to unravel some of the reasons why we automatically look for certain things in our partners without even realizing it. Good luck.
I'm going to say that we pick alcoholics or problem men ( i include myself on this) so that we can be a  caretaker for another person..And have someone to fret over and attempt to rescue. We hope they will "change" for us.  For me, I craved approval from my father when I was young and constantly was let down. It created this dynamic where I resented him but was desparate for his attention.  So that  became what I looked for in men. Ones that don't approve of me and make me jump through hoops to win their affection. It also is handy because   I don't have to look at my own problems. This  tactic casts me as a victim and  takes the  responsibility off of my shoulders to be instropective about myself.  A type of martyr complex..and it is destructive, almost as much as being an alcoholic. I'm in counseling by the way..but I came to this conclusion on my own.  
177641 tn?1189755837
That's a strong insight. Very well explained :)
605529 tn?1255502946
You need to frame that!  Very good!  Anita
Thanks guys! I appreciate it! I hope it's of some help to you.
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Alcoholic, Living with an Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
3060903 tn?1398565123
Other
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.