my husband is an alcoholic
My husband has been struggling with alcoholism for many many years. He has told me he wants to quit, and he tries, but after a week he always slips up. I don't know what to do to help him?
Hi crystaljoyb,
First let me say that I am sorry that you are going through this. It is very difficult for you as well. First thing I would suggest is that you find a support group for yourself. Something like alanon is helpful for the family of alcoholics. Your husband has to learn how to live life without alcohol and the only way that I am able to do that is through the recovery groups that I am a part of. There are many of them out there: AA, smart recovery and the like. Friends have also used the help and support of the people here at medhelp.
The most important thing for you is to really believe that you can not get him sober or make him want to get the help that he needs. It is never your fault if he drinks! He is responsible for his own actions.
Good luck to you!!
The good news is that he is saying he wants to quit.  That's great.  Does he attend any support groups such as AA?  This would be critical.  And you should try al anon.  Outpatient treatment is another option.  A therapist would help too.  Hope his sobriety is going well now as it has been a couple of months.  best of luck to you both