Am I an alcoholic?

Hello, so I'm 22 and I've started drinking at age 16, ofcourse rarely at that point but it grew to my current situation. To be frank, I've had a lot of bad things happen to me, starting 2 years ago so alcohol was kinda my coping mechanism, but looking at my life now I am completely satisfied and happy about every aspect of my life and yet still drink. To be more specific: I drink when I go out and when I'm alone, I find myself enjoying conversations more when there's alcohol involved and i tend to move meeting with friends to an erlier time, just so I can start drinking earlier. Sometimes I get frustrated because there is no alcohol in the house or wherever I am currently located and I get cranky. But, to be clear: I've only gotten drunk a couple of times in my life, I remember everything when I drink (no blackouts), I don't change my mood when I drink (i don't become violent, just kinda mellow and happy) I've had no physical symptoms of abstinence and I almost always drink only beer (to be precise, never more than 3  0.5L beers a night in a 5-6 hour period). I don't drink to get drunk, I avoid it actually, but drinking relaxes me and makes me more care-free, since I have problems with stress. So, do I have a problem on my hands and more importantly, am I an alcoholic?
COMMUNITY LEADER
I believe you have a problem and are travelling the path that leads to alcoholism!
You may be happy and carefree today but the bad things that happened to you are still dragging you down.  Everything you wrote says you are already on that highway to hell.  I hope you get some help before this goes any further.  There is no happy ending to alcoholism.
The fact that you're posting suggests you know you have a problem, and you're intelligent enough to ask a bunch of strangers (sometimes it's so much easier!) because you don't want to become addicted. You may feel happy but if you are changing times to drink then it is already having a negative effect on your life and starting to eat away at your time, this will only get worse.  There are tests you can do like this: https://www.portofcall.com/recognise-the-signs-of-alcoholism-with-this-non-scientific-test/  but everyone's different and I think you know that your drinking isn't 'normal'. You say it's your coping mechanism but that you're happy at the moment, so why do you need it? Alcoholism can start as learned behaviours and it sounds like you're on that path. Maybe try to cut down at home first and lessen your intake gradually. Good Luck!
Thank you all. You gave me strength to face the real problem. I have been alcohol-free for 7 months now.

You are reading content posted in the Alcoholism Community