Alcoholism Community

Delirium tremens

My husband is suffering from delirium tremens after major surgury forced him into detox.  Is there ANYONE else that has been through this and please share with me how to cope seeing a loved one in so much pain STRAPPED down to a bed "for his own safty".  Can this go on for days? weeks? Please help me with any personal experiance you may have.
Personally, I've never experienced DT's during alcohol withdrawal, but this is highly dangerous and needs to be medically monitored.  I'm guessing that he's receiving care in a hospital post surgery.  If the Drs are aware that he's withdrawing, have they given him any medications to ease his symptoms?  Simply 'strapping him down' sounds inhumane.  Talk to his Drs and make sure that they know he's detoxing.