Having fun while sober

Hi everyone.  Back from sunny, warm Florida.  ok, I lie.  While we were on vacation there were several times when other diners were having wine (not at our table).  I know when I first stopped drinking the last time, a little over 3 mos. ago, I thought the thing I would miss most was having fun.  Turns out that isn't true.  Fun is what you make it and being sober makes it a heck of alot easier to remember the fun times.  So that is one reason to not drink.  The second reason that comes to mind.  No Black Outs.  The third reason (and this one finally hit me) the drink might taste good>>>but oh those morning and all day  afterwards. arggggggggggggggggg Now they definitely were not fun.
Also the morning afterwards wondering, who did I say what to?  Did I make phone calls? etc etc  It is definitely a better and happier me knowing I didn't do anything stupid while drinking.  (sober i might but that is a different story haha)  So if anyone has also had these thoughts,
let me know. TJack
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I went out with a group one night to a club they were all drinking,it was a Christmas party,I had fun just watching how everyone changed as the night wore on.So now I'm into people watching,just seeing their reactions to alcohol will help me never drink again.

Denise
Helpful - 0
Hi TJ, I can identify with the blackouts, phone calls and the other insane things we do when we drink.....
No more dramas lol. I love my sober life and the peace of mind that goes with it. I have the ability to make choices now that I did not have when I was drinking, everything I did when I was drinking was dictated by and revolved around drink. Where I went, who I went with and then there was the money or lack of it leading to dishonesty and scraping the bottom of the barrel from day to day just to survive.

I am very proud of you, well done :)

Ray    
Helpful - 0
COMMUNITY LEADER
my first sober xmas i missed the partying....boo-hoo pour me i can't party!i look back on that and i laugh!but that was youth at 28!then my friend would have these big xmas parties.....first half a delicious food feast!second half the drinking started.these husbands would come with their wives and it mostly hubs u could tell were pickled when they arrived...red faced and reeking of alcohol.wouldn't even eat!well more for us!the jello shots would come out with the drunken roaring etc.i got bored and went home.i know that was me in a past life!Today i am joyous to have peace and quiet and be in the company of my animals at holiday time.Simple and peaceful oh yes!no drunken drama for me...well no sober drama either!
Helpful - 0
It is good to hear others experiences being sober having fun in better ways than being tipsy or falling down drunk.  How could I have ever thought that was fun??  Unreal.
Luckily i was the only one who ever drank too too much in our group of friends.  All of them are very supportive.  Had a birthday lunch a few weeks ago and two of the gals ordered a glass of wine. (I know they weren't even thinking)  I looked at it but did ok.  My dear friend, who is looking out for me spoke with our two friends after I had left.  She said would you bring cocaine to a lunch that an addict was at?? They felt awful and both apologized to me.  She says you are too new to not drinking to drink in front of you and nobody needs wine at lunch time.  As I see it there is always gonna be temptations and I just hope in time it gets easier and easier.  Actually when I really think about it I know wine would not even taste good now.  And that's the truth. woohoo Life is so much better when we see it clearly.  Thanks everyone for your posts.  And Ray thank you.  Could not be where I am right now on my own. Tonya
Helpful - 0
I am definitely realizing that not only can you have as much fun, but even more fun when you don't drink. Went through my first superbowl without a drink and I actually remember the second half. And  I remember the funniest commercials ..they're always in the second half!  And, like Denise, I also am getting a kick out of people watching and seeing the changes that happen.  I don't miss the person I became sometimes when I drank.  And I don't miss the "morning afters" one bit.  That yucky headache, nausea and just plain bleeeech!  

Helpful - 0
I just read your profile and you are on a mission and doing great.  Isn't it also so cool to have our hubby's run interferance for us at times?  I like it that mine has my back and sounds like yours does as well.  Congrats on 44 days woohoo!  The things i missed as well and alot of the time I was too embarrassed to ask "What happened"?
Yeah and those morning afters, Please God don't let me forget how awful they were, actually the whole day.  You are doing great don't let the little things stress you. TJ
Helpful - 0
COMMUNITY LEADER
and i sure don't miss those head busting headaches hangovers and blackouts.....scary to operate a car and not remember driving the next day!i'm very grateful i didn't hurt someone with my drunk driving.......let alone myself!
Helpful - 0
Its nice to wake up in the morning and know who is sleeping next to you.  In my case it is a beagle!!  Its just so nice to be in control of me now........dont miss those days at all anymore.         sara
Helpful - 0
The highs aren't as high, but the lows aren't as low
Helpful - 0
Did you ever have that right!  I kind of like being on an even keel now.  I know I was the life of the party when I was drinking (in my mind). Will settle to be an observer now. T
Helpful - 0
Your doing great TJack.......Keep it going!!            sara
Helpful - 0
Thanks girl, you too.  A Day at a time really adds up.  I love sobriety more every single day.  Tonya
Helpful - 0
COMMUNITY LEADER
i used to be able to moonwalk like michael jackson on a dance floor in 1982...all tanked up on booze and myriad drugs in the bloodstream.....or in my state i THOUGHT i was moon walking!:)this is funny....i do have somewhat of a singing voice.....and one nite i got up on a table in a red chiffon 50's prom formal in a gay niteclub and sang Where the Boys Are by Connie Francis...i brought tears to those mens eyes!it was hilarious!but the hangover the next day was a killer.......no miss that!
Helpful - 0
Just the visual cracks me up!!!  Those chiffon dresses were something werent they!!  You could of sang "Its Raining Men"!!  Ya i used to think i was pretty special too during those days and i was fearless....climbing water towers etc.....think i looked more like Scooby Doo!!!
Helpful - 0
COMMUNITY LEADER
hahahahaha!a good way to start the day with a hearty laugh!i can see u climbing towers...heck look at the ones u climb now!:)
Helpful - 0
Ibi do you remember when we did the song thing with Bandida?  You and others each day would make up and add a line.  What fun that was > lots of laughs.  This one would start like this> Where the booze is, hangovers wait for me. take it away Ibi
I miss Bandida and hope she is sober and not wearing an ankle bracelet.
You girls crack me up, chiffon prom dresses, oh yes I remember those days well.  I didn't drink back then so actually my memories are pretty clear.  
Helpful - 0
Sometimes ya just gotta let your hair down and laugh a bit.  I need to make amends here with my old principal.......I was one of the persons that chopped down your tree in your front yard.....I gassed up the chain saws and also drove one of the getaway vehicles......Sorry!!  (kinda)
Helpful - 0
You kind of had me going for a minute there, cause somebody actually did cut down a beautiful blue spruce in my front yard a year ago Dec.  We were out of town and came home to that.  First off we were shocked and then ticked big time.  They had a beautiful Christmas tree for sure if they had a high enough ceiling  grrrrrrrrrrrrr
Helpful - 0
TJack....this was back in 1979!!!  I wasnt a part of your tree incident.....That would of p!ssed me off tho if someone cut down a Blue Spruce.  My principal had some scraggly looking tree in his front yard.               sara
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Alcoholism Community