Avatar universal

Chocolate: can't breathe for aroud 5 seconds


I'm 18, and I have been having a weird reaction to chocolate since I was aroud 9-10 years old.
The type of chocolate doesn't matter (white, black, milk) nor does its form.
This doesn't occure everytime I eat chocolate, and may be at my first bite or after quite a few bites.
What happens is that at some point when I put the chocolate in my mouth I will suddenly have a sensation of burning in my throat, so bad that I can't breathe at anymore. My reaction is to swallow saliva repeatedly, and after around 5 seconds it stops and I can breathe fine and eat more chocolate.
I'm not sure about this, but allong with the burning sensation, I think my throat tightens up a little.

I haven't seen anything of this sort on the internet, and my doctor didn't really know what it could be. She said it seemed like a chocolate allergy.
But the thing is that the other day I ate some turkish kind of sweets, in which there was no chocolate, and it happened again. But this time it was a lot worse. I was alone in my room and it really scared me this time. It didn't last too long, and stopped as soon as I spat the sweet out. It also made me feel like I was going to throw up.

Do you have any idea of what this could be?

I thought it might be due to a reaction of the acid and sugar in my throat or something as I have had gastritis since I was 14.

Thanks for your help and have a nice day.
7 Responses
Avatar universal
so maybe there is one ingredient which is the reason for your allergic reaction or it is sth else. Maybe it is a histamine intolerance because chocolate got histamine and the symptoms would be like yours. I would recommend a blood test by your allergist, he should check all the intolerances! (celiac, histamine etc.) If you get a diagnosis for having a histamine intolerance, I can really recommend "Daosin". I'm sensitive to histamine and I'm using it for a long time now.

take care and all the best for you!
Avatar universal
I don't have an answer but this exactly describes my own experience (happened just now with chocolate, hence the Google search leading to this question). It only happens once in a while and it has happened with honey as well. Just now I ate a small piece of chocolate but the spasms didn't happen until the last bite. Then my throat tightened up and started convulsing and I couldn't breathe for several seconds. It really is intense and pretty scary.
Avatar universal
I also do not know the answer, but it started happening to me. The only time it happens is when I am eating something sweet or sweetly rich, but it does not happen every time I eat food like that. Just now, my throat briefly closed up when I had some Asian pear -- a fruit that I eat almost every day, and which has never before caused this. It happens with non-Hershey's chocolates -- yesterday, I picked up a half-eaten Butterfinger bar, and it happened with the first bite (even though I had been eating in a few hours earlier). It happened a few weeks ago when I ate some vanilla frosting.  It always goes away when I take a sip of water.  I feel like everyone thinks it's a chocolate allergy, but it is clearly not! And it is not anaphylactic shock because it goes away immediately with water.

I am wondering if it has something to do with saliva production -- I have seen this suggested in a few different areas. Perhaps the strong sweet flavor is causing a reaction in our salivation production?
I have this same thing happen as well with different types of sweets; chocolate, some honey, marshmallows, gum often. It lasts only several seconds and then I can keep eating it. I've noticed it for maybe 10 yrs? (30 now). The top of my throat feels right and it's hard to breathe in. Water helps. Throat might be a little scratchy afterwards. No swelling tongue or rubbing nose or stomach aches. No known allergies. Wish I knew what it was.
I have had similar reactions with chocolate and frosting lately. I first noticed it with powdered Hershey’s. Please let me know if you guys had a breakthrough.
Avatar universal
I have had exactly this reaction lots of times too! It tends to happen when I have something really sugary like chocolate or sweets, but other times I can eat them with no problem at all. It’s really scary trying to gasp for breath and not being able to! I’m sure it’s not an allergy as it only lasts a few seconds, it happens with lots of different sweet foods, and sometimes I have no reaction at all. Very strange! The only thing I’ve found that helps is slowing down when eating sweet things
Avatar universal
I feel a bit better after reading this.. I have had the EXACT same experiences! Everything you described is spot on. So frustrating that no one knows what it is lol. It just happened to me (again), hence the google search. For a second there i thought “what if my throat doesnt open up again”. Can be really scary...
Avatar universal
I’ve had the same thing many times. It wheats happens after eating something very sugary. My throat feels like it closes and I’m unable to breath unless I inhale through my nose. Swallowing or drinking water helps.  Lasts about 5-10 seconds then all is normal again. Sometimes it makes me cough. It only happens on occasion. Other times I’m able eat sugary foods with no reaction. Very weird
Avatar universal
Think I found the answer. Possibly sugar triggers it on occasion?
Laryngospasm is a sudden, sustained contracting of muscles of the larynx that causes closing of the upper airway. The process involves closing of the vocal cords and the epiglottis.
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Allergies - Food Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Find out if your city is a top "allergy capital."
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
If you’re one of the 35 million Americans who suffer from hay fever, read on for what plants are to blame, where to find them and how to get relief.
Allergist Dr. Lily Pien answers Medhelp users' most pressing allergy-related questions
When you start sniffling and sneezing, you know spring has sprung. Check out these four natural remedies to nix spring allergies.