Allergies - Food Community
940 Members

Cinnamon reaction

Whenever I smell or eat cinnamon my lungs hurt and I start coughing. Then I start shaking and feel really dizzy. I don't know what is going on. I tell people that I'm allergic to it, but I don't get hives or any of the common allergy symptoms. I've also been tested for an allergy for it and it came back negative. This even happens when I smell cinnamon. I walked into the grocery store the other day and it smelled like cinnamon. I got so dizzy I felt like I was going to pass out and I started shaking. I'm pretty sure it's not anxiety because I wasn't scared or anything and I wasn't thinking that I was going to get a reaction. When I eat cinnamon I get a very painful stomach ache, almost like the one I get from my lactose intolerance. What is going on with me. And I also think that other spices such as ginger and nutmeg do the same thing to me. I don't know what's going on. Is it some kind of allergic reaction or something else?
I would definitely venture to say that you are allergic to cinnamon or at the least, very sensitive to it. Allergies do not always present them-self in the form of hives. Allergy tests do not always show for certain foods, but from what you described, it is a clear case of an allergic reaction to these spices.
Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Find out if your city is a top "allergy capital."
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
If you’re one of the 35 million Americans who suffer from hay fever, read on for what plants are to blame, where to find them and how to get relief.
Allergist Dr. Lily Pien answers Medhelp users' most pressing allergy-related questions
When you start sniffling and sneezing, you know spring has sprung. Check out these four natural remedies to nix spring allergies.