Allergies - Food Community
933 Members

Could this be an allergy? Chronic soar throat

I have been having the chronic symptoms of a soar throat, I've had almost no relief for a year. My throat turns red, get's scratchy and swells, stings, burns, feels dry, and I've seen what looks like small burns at the top of my mouth. The symptoms often come when I wake up in the morning, but all can occur randomly throughout the day, or get worse from the morning at night.  I also constantly have green or yellow mucus, and my nose stuffs up. The pain in my throat often happens at the back of my throat, and is usually more painful or only painful on the right side.

I eat well, take vitamins, I use the neilmed nose irrigator daily, I've been tested for strep in the past, no strep. I have had chronic throat infections in that past summer (7 infections between dec 2012 and September 2013) and these symptoms feel like a throat infection, but then it never develops into a full blown infection, and the symtoms come and go so quickly.

I have seen 2 different throat specialist, one suggested it may be acid reflux, but after months of taking the prescription, nothing worked. I have gotten an IGg test, and I'm apparently allergic to Dairy, coffee, eggs, mushrooms, cranberries and a strain of beans, but I have yet to find out if that's the actual cause.

Could my chronic symptoms really be the result of an allergy? Or is this something else?
Hi, your symptoms could be due to Recurrent tonsillitis. Throat pain, difficulty swallowing, fever, scratchiness in the throat, post nasal drip, malaise and loss of appetite are symptoms of tonsillitis. It can be caused by bacteria like streptococcus or it could be a viral infection. Bacterial infections need antibiotics. Consult your primary care physician who will do blood tests and take a throat swab to determine the cause and prescribe appropriate medications.

This is an indication for tonsillectomy, as the tonsils may harbor the infection which keeps flaring up, or they may develop new infections. Regards.
Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Find out if your city is a top "allergy capital."
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
If you’re one of the 35 million Americans who suffer from hay fever, read on for what plants are to blame, where to find them and how to get relief.
Allergist Dr. Lily Pien answers Medhelp users' most pressing allergy-related questions
When you start sniffling and sneezing, you know spring has sprung. Check out these four natural remedies to nix spring allergies.