Looking for Answers

I am looking for answers to what happened a few weeks back. On a wednesday afternoon, I woke up around 1pm (I work evening shift.). I ate 4/5's of a box of Quaker Chewy Oat Granola Fiber and Omega-3 Dark Chocolate Chunk Bars. Around 3pm, I noticed I had some gas and some stomach aches, around 8 pm, I had to leave work because my stomach felt like it was on a carnival ride.

I got back to work around 9pm and started itching on my arms, under my armpits, and around my stomach line.

I got home around 130 and continued to itch, I started scraching my right arm on the underside, and broke out in hives down both arms, under my armpits and across my stomach line, near my groin and down to the upper portions of my legs.

I had diarrhea and continued to have diarrhea until Friday. I felt generally run down and had some chills Thursday and Friday. I broke out in hives when I returned home from work that Thursday and Friday. I started to sweat all over Friday morning and had hot flashes for about 2 hours Friday morning. Everything returned to normal on Saturday, some minor itching, no hives, and solid stools

That Wednesday, a cold front with 30 degree temperature differential went through the area, and I have been moving dusty furniture around the week prior. I have severe dust allergies and super sensitive skin.

Could my dust allergies have enhanced my sensitivity to what I ate or does this sound like a classic food allergy/intolerance situation? I have no known food allergies that I known of before this incident.

I'm just looking for answers. Thanks

I also wanted to add, that on the first night my neck was completely red, and I felt tingling in my extremeties.  I took a cold shower, and that seemed to help a little.  I was pretty close to going to the emergency room.

Also, that Friday morning when I woke up I had a blotchy rash on my wrist and near my shoulder which seemed to disappear a few hours later.
Yes, it definitely sounds like an allergy/intolerance reaction.

Those are pretty severe symptoms. Allergy testing would be your best bet, and for the future you might want to get some Benadryl to keep on hand.
Thanks for your reply,

I was just really worried about this, because I have severe anxiety and always think that this reaction was something more than a food intolerance/allergy, and that there was something seriously wrong with me.  But, when I put everything together, the timing, etc.. it can be traced back to the food I ate that day, so that's comforting.

I used to get allergy shots until 2004, when I voluntarily quit getting them, because I was convinced that they were making my nose stuffy all the time, but never had an allergy to food.  I am going to schedule a visit in the upcoming weeks to an allergist, and see what I need to do with diet, etc. and what exactly in the food I ate is causing that sort of reaction.  

It was very scary at the time, and will look into it.

Thanks again.
One more quick question, since I am new to the whole food allergy/intolerance situation here?

From what you know, could being exposed to environmental allergens during the same time period (week before, up until I had those symptoms), make me more sensitive to what I ate, thus causing me to become more sensitive to the food I ate?  

Just wondered, I can't find a specific answer to that question on the internet anywhere.
It's a good question and I really don't know how to answer it.

With allergies, ANYTHING is possible!

I hope you find some answers.
I think you possibly have both a food and environmental allergy.  It's not that it is making your food allergy worse it's just that you are getting symptoms from both at the same time making it feel like it is.

You are reading content posted in the Allergies - Food Community

Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Find out if your city is a top "allergy capital."
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
If you’re one of the 35 million Americans who suffer from hay fever, read on for what plants are to blame, where to find them and how to get relief.
Allergist Dr. Lily Pien answers Medhelp users' most pressing allergy-related questions
When you start sniffling and sneezing, you know spring has sprung. Check out these four natural remedies to nix spring allergies.