Allergies - Food Community
938 Members

Reaction to ALL raw fruits AND vegetable

Every time I eat a raw fruit or vegetable my face starts to burn moderately and the back of arm, and my cheeks, and eyelids burn also. I now it isn't what they spray on the fruit or vegetable because i had one fresh from the tree in my backyard. It goes on for about an hour or so. I would like to know what it is and am i still safe to have fruit and vegetables raw?

--- Im almost 15 and i am at a average weight and i play tennis like a ninja. :P
COMMUNITY LEADER

I'm not a Dr but you may be experiencing what is called OAS or oral allergy syndrome.  Oftentimes food cannot be eaten raw, but once cooked it is ok since the protein is cooked out.  But do ask an allergist and request to be tested before changing any of your habits consuming foods and avoid those known to be a trigger is my advice.

C~
Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Find out if your city is a top "allergy capital."
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
If you’re one of the 35 million Americans who suffer from hay fever, read on for what plants are to blame, where to find them and how to get relief.
Allergist Dr. Lily Pien answers Medhelp users' most pressing allergy-related questions
When you start sniffling and sneezing, you know spring has sprung. Check out these four natural remedies to nix spring allergies.