Allergies - Food Community
931 Members

Vitamin D

Hi, I was wondering if its possible to have a vitamin D allergy? I drink milk, go in the sun (skin gets red very fast) and eat other foods that contain it and have no problem, but I recently was told by my doctor that I have a vitamin D deficiency. She wants me to start taking vitamin D3 in a 2300 dose. My question is, is it possible to have an allergy to this vitamin even though I eat foods that contain it? Will this high level of vitamin D affect me in a negative way?

Thank you
Hello and hope you are doing well.

As discussed there is unlikely to be an allergy to vitamin D. As it is a fat soluble vitamin, hypervitaminosis can occur, the symptoms of which are, vomiting, polyuria (frequent urination), weight loss, poor appetite, constipation, weakness, heart rhythm abnormalities and kidney stones
Treatment of vitamin D toxicity includes stopping vitamin D supplements and restricting calcium intake, as well as taking medication. But it is unlikely in your case, as you have a deficiency of the vitamin.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Find out if your city is a top "allergy capital."
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
If you’re one of the 35 million Americans who suffer from hay fever, read on for what plants are to blame, where to find them and how to get relief.
Allergist Dr. Lily Pien answers Medhelp users' most pressing allergy-related questions
When you start sniffling and sneezing, you know spring has sprung. Check out these four natural remedies to nix spring allergies.