MedHelp.org will cease operations on May 31, 2024. It has been our pleasure to join you on your health journey for the past 30 years. For more info, click here.

5 Yrs Old Severe Itching all day especially at night

My son has had a severe itching problem for about 5 years now.  It tends to come and go, with episodes in summer, fall, and spring getting worse.  He usually has small scabs from itching so much, his face and arms are covered with them.  He itches in between his toes, fingers, head and legs.  He has severe sleep problems because the itching is so bad.  No doctors can seem to give a sufficient answer - we've been told food allergies.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Consult your doctor before attempting to try the Benadryl. You definitely don't want to add it to the Atarax and Zyrtec.

ChitChat brings up an excellent point about the meds. A person can definitely be allergic to antihistamines.
Helpful - 0
He has been taking Zyrtec (Cetirizine) 5ml twice a day (5ml in the morning and 5ml in the Evening) but still it does not help. Also he takes 10ml of Atarax Syrup at night before going to bed, His itching is so severe and it really bothers him all night; he goes to bed around 4 or 5 in the morning sometimes at 6:00 AM and of course misses school. I just need a Really Good Doctor who can diagnose him correctly.
Can I try Benadryl. Is it better than Zyrtec
Helpful - 0
My son has severe allergies and asthma and exema. He has had these since he was born. Have you tried finding a pure skin lotion to lather him with at night? My son also has a rare skin condition that causes his skin to be unable to retain its own moisture and therefore is painfully itchy. I cant spell or pronounce the condition  but it starts wit an 'm'
Helpful - 0
I take a 24 hour allergy pill each morning and by the time I go to bed at night I am too itchy to sleep so end up taking a benadryl.  I have allergies to dust, mold, trees, grass, ragweed, etc. and know I do have some food allergies that I hope to uncover soon.  The one I have found is shellfish which makes me oh so itchy beyond what I normally am.  I did do a diet that a Naturopath put me on to eliminate yeast from my body (no dairy, sugars, yeast, wheat, gluten) and I did feel better.  I need to do an elimination diet again.  You might want to try that with your son and perhaps give a Naturopath a try.
Helpful - 0
Has he actually been tested for food allergies, so you know what to stay away from?

Do you have him on any kind of antihistamine?

Since his episodes come and go he should also be tested for weed, tree, and grass pollens.

It wouldn't hurt to have him see a dermatologist to rule out any other underlying skin problem.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Allergies - Food Community

Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Find out if your city is a top "allergy capital."
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
If you’re one of the 35 million Americans who suffer from hay fever, read on for what plants are to blame, where to find them and how to get relief.
Allergist Dr. Lily Pien answers Medhelp users' most pressing allergy-related questions
When you start sniffling and sneezing, you know spring has sprung. Check out these four natural remedies to nix spring allergies.