Allergic reaction?

Yesterday during an exercise class perspired so profusely that all of my makeup literally melted and ran into my eyes. By the time I was out of class, my eyes were almost swollen shut and fire-engine red. They have been weeping nonstop since then.  I've used Alaway and it has calmed the itching, but they are still extremely red and swollen.  Should I just allow time for them to calm down on their own, or is there something more I can do?  Thank you!
Hello and welcome to MedHelp.

One thing you can try is an eye wash kit.  You can get them in the eye care/contact lens section of any pharmacy.  Also, a good allergy eye drop like Zaditor might be helpful.

I hope that helps.  Let us know how you are doing.

God bless.
From the symptoms it can be due to an allergic reaction to the eye makeup that you have used. Take some oral antihistaminic like Benadryl or Claritin if there is any itching and apply some calamine lotion on the rash. Also wash the area with plenty of fresh water and do not apply the eye makeup for some time.

If the symptoms persist then get an evaluation done from a dermatologist as topical eye drops containing steroids and oral steroids may be needed.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing

Thank you both so much!  I have been using the eye wash kit, zyrtec and also allergy eye drops - the combination has finally started to kick in and make a difference today.  I didn't even think about the dermatologist - if this doesn't clear up completely within a few more days I will definitely call for an appointment. I appreciate your advice!

You are reading content posted in the Allergy Community

Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Find out if your city is a top "allergy capital."
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
If you’re one of the 35 million Americans who suffer from hay fever, read on for what plants are to blame, where to find them and how to get relief.
Allergist Dr. Lily Pien answers Medhelp users' most pressing allergy-related questions
When you start sniffling and sneezing, you know spring has sprung. Check out these four natural remedies to nix spring allergies.