Allergy Community

Allergic to Blood Pressure Meds

I've been going thru quite a time - turning up allergic to 5 BP meds as of today... scared to take next one prescribed!! I've been to an Allergist this past week for skin testing... but, does anyone else suffer from BP med allergies? I get itchy all over, cheeks swell, face puffs a bit and face and neck turns bright red...Help!

I would speak to my pharmacist and see if he/she had any suggestions. I hope you are taking Benadryl after you have these allergic reactions.

Also, you may consider working on what is increasing your blood pressure. Stress ? Diet ?

I was put on prednisone for 6 days after I went into shock from the first med. The 2nd thru 5th meds took anywhere from 2 days to 2 weeks to rear its ugly head and make me have similar reactions that if left untreated would have put me back in the e/r.  I am a very highly stressed individual! Hence, the high BP. I run about 140/90 but, I am watching my BP now since off meds for that during allergy testing. I'm about 150/92 in the morning which is usually a higher reading time...I am very much against having to take ANY meds what-so-ever. I've always been that way...I cannot believe how much BP meds ravage your body when going off them (feels like it's ravaging anyway!) I flat out asked my doctor if the BP meds decreased my morbidity rate and was met with a blank stare. Asked if there was a 'healthy' or holistic way to treat high BP and again - met with a blank stare... I knew I should have gone into medicine!! dang it!!
I think my bodies so out of whack now - it's rejecting stuff just to spite me.
by the way...I had asked the pharmacists and they offered no help or advice. The allergist did say he wants to test the meds and see what they have in common. (ie:Dye, Filler) I was just curious if ANYONE else has gone thru this?

"Asked if there was a 'healthy' or holistic way to treat high BP and again - met with a blank stare."

I definitely can relate to your sentence and this is one of the reasons why when I had health issues, I visited my regular physician and a Naturopath physician. The Naturopath physician spent 1 full hour with me and in that one hour, taught me so much about why I was experiencing what I was.

As far as lowering your blood pressure... they say to cut the salt, limit your alcohol and caffeine intake, eliminate the bad saturated fats and exercise. If you smoke, consider quitting.

I don't drink or smoke. I have been to the allergist - still going thru testings... I started taking garlic (odorless) to keep my BP down until we can find out what is causing my allergic reactions. I was even allergic to "Singulaire" which has now left everyone puzzled!  I am only taking the garlic pills and a benedryl when needed. I'm still thinking it's a dye or additive but, I am having a hard time gathering info provided by the drug companies who manufacture the meds I turned up allerigc to... Next step is having a chemist take the acutal pills and dissecting them.. was hoping someone else would come on the forum and say "HEY! I'VE BEEN THRU THE SAME THING" and thus, give me the magic answer to what's causing my reactions! I was sooo overloaded and reacting from everything that they even had to do the sinus scope without any numbing agents - this is SO not fun!!

I was going to tell you about a great lab that tests for not only allergens, but chemicals as well. But looking at their website, they have temporarily shut down. (ELISA/ACT) They use your blood and mix it with the suspected allergens and see if your lymphocytes (white blood cells) respond, indicating that you are allergic. You may want to google and find their website (I'm not allowed to give URL's here) and call them. See if someone is still there and can refer you to another lab.

Good luck !
You are looking for an alternative which works without medicine.Have an open mind.
Breathing will definitely help you.You know so much about your body that you will feel the difference from day one and will be able to discuss how your body responds. Do the following breathing exercises known as Yoga Pranayam and let us know the effects. .

Bhastrika - Take a long deep breath into the lungs(chest not tummy)  via the nose and then completely breathe out through the nose.Upto 5 minutes daily.

Anulom Vilom - Deep Breath-in through left nostril keeping right nostril closed
then  - Breath-out through right nostril keeping left nostril closed
then   -Deep Breath-in through right nostril keeping left nostril closed
then   - Breath-out through left nostril keeping right nostril closed
and repeat this cycle for 20 minutes twice a day.
Kapalbhati -(Do it before eating) Push air forcefully out through the nose about once per second. Stomach will itself go in(contract in). The breathing in will happen automatically. Establish a rhythm and do for 20 minutes twice a day. Not for pregnant women.
Tips : Breathe into lungs not into stomach.  Do not hurry. Do it slowly. Rest whenever needed (in any pranayam).Can be done in sitting position, standing or lying in bed(if bed-bound).Keep tissues handy, as a lot of mucous from lungs will be coming through the nose.Monitor blood results to see the improvement. Do the pranayam before eating.
Pranayam is about getting more oxygen into the lungs and sending it around the body via blood to aid in body repair. With extra oxygen more platelets and red blood cells are formed to build up the immune system.Extra fat is burned to reduce weight. All this happens naturally without side-effects.People with all types of ailments including incurable ones will benefit. This has been practised by sages, but has been simplified and brought to the masses.
If you write down all your symptoms you will be able to tick them off one by one as you continue the pranayam.

I'm jealous... I want snow ! LOL ! But fortunately it is raining here (I'm a desert dweller... I'll take what I can get)

The reason why you are itching (in my opinion, but of course), is because you are still getting that medication out of your system. It seeps through your pores and since you are allergic, your skin itches or your skin is just dry. From what I've heard, good ol' baking soda can help with the itching.

okay...baking soda...um...mixed with water or in a bath??
or like - Gold Bond Medicated powder?

Thanks :) 8 inches of snow so far today...
this is 5 weekends in a row!!!
Gotta love Colorado!
((we are in the foothills))

Good Bond will also probably work. And you don't need to mix it with water.

Send me some snow !!!!! I'll get off your hands... LOL!

ya know...it's kind of scary because now I am off everything and I still have an 'all over' itch. No one would be able to tell...it's not always 'visible' unless I stop the benedryl! I get some hives on my face, my upper arm starts to itch and then it progresses.  Someone mentioned it could take a while to get the BP meds out of my 'blood' and system. I've always been such a busy and athletic person but, this is keeping me down. Also, thanks for the breathing exercises - I will give it a go! I know I don't breathe like I should...I tend to hold my breath a lot... not sure why...I am aware of it...mostly because I grew up heavy into sports and always had to count my breathing ((like while jogging)) and of course, swimming...I used to do a 5 count breath in and 5 count breath out...I'm thinking I need to strap on the running shoes and get the count back!! I've slacked in that area!! Of course, looking out the window at all the SNOW! I'm thinking I'll need snowshoes!!!!!  thanks for ANY advice!! I appreciate it!!  Thanks! Deeds

It actually snowed here a little bit tonight !!! And there is a snow advisory until tomorrow afternoon.  Thank you! LOL!

Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Find out if your city is a top "allergy capital."
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
If you’re one of the 35 million Americans who suffer from hay fever, read on for what plants are to blame, where to find them and how to get relief.
Allergist Dr. Lily Pien answers Medhelp users' most pressing allergy-related questions
When you start sniffling and sneezing, you know spring has sprung. Check out these four natural remedies to nix spring allergies.