Allergy Community

Allergic to titanium?

Allergic to titanium? I have had three knee replacements, one a cement/antibiotic one. I am in constant pain and my leg has red spots on the aria of the knee replacement and is always wormer then the other leg. Now I have developed a severe allergy in my sinus, with the tubes plug and water on one ear. No one can tell me what I am allergic to. I read many people having the idea of allergies to titanium and I have read that the medical community say it not possible. The last two night I have had a temperature of 101, that comes and goes.
my meds are:
Mometasone Furoate 50 mcg 120d nasal
Loratadine 10mg
Rifampin 300 mg cap
my Gatofloxacin was discontinued by the VA
replaced with ciprofloxacin 500 mg twice a day.
Are you sure that there are no allergies to knee replacements  jeff graham
For everything natural or manmade, there is someone out there that is allergic to it.  It is very rare to have an allergy to titanium, but it has been know to happen, especially if you have allergies to any other metals.  See an allergist and get tested just to make sure. Since the metal is on the INSIDE of the body, don't do the skin tests, but have the blood test done.  You may need to call around to see who in your area does this type of allergy testing as not every office does.  good luck
I know a lady who had a knee replacement and she was allergic to titanium. I believe this product has been recalled. Many people are allergic to titanium. She was part of a national law suit against the company.
I had cervical surgery on August 28th.  8 screws, 2 pins and bone fusion on 5 of my 7 cervical discs.  I am on no meds but I have this really strange feeling that I might be having a reaction to the titanium.  At no certain times, during no certain functions I get like this brain fuzz/fog (sort of electrical buzz) that lasts for only a second or two.  During some of them there is a chemical/metal type smell that only I smell.  Has ANYONE else had this.  I am very unsure of telling my surgeon because he may want to do more surgery and I have had enough of the neck surgery's.  This was my second one.

Can anyone help.
I am beginning to wonder if I'm allergic to titanium as well.  I know I have an allergy to the metals that "cheap" earrings are made with, and can't wear silver earrings for very long either.  The only metal I seem to be okay with is gold (14kt etc, not overlays).  About a year ago I started developing pain on the right side of my head only.  No doctors have been able to tell me what's wrong as I have experienced swelling in various areas and an incessant clenching of my teeth with most of the pressure being exerted on the right side.  Headaches come and go, and I've been experiencing mild dizziness from time to time.  I have also had a fever of about 101 that never seems to exceed that, but comes and goes as well.  My PCP asked about the eyebrow piercing on the right side of my face and I informed her it was made of titanium.  She then concluded that it's probably not the issue (being that I hadn't had any issues with infection at the site of the piercing).  She's the only person that brought it up, and now it's got me thinking.  I've have this piercing for over 3 years now and just realized that it was probably about a year ago that I changed the piercing from a gold bar to the titanium one.  Today I decided to change it back to the gold one and see if there's any improvement over time.  I wouldn't have thought titanium would be an issue as it's used in various forms of surgery, but based on what I've read about the possibility that there are people that are allergic to titanium, I'm beginning to wonder if this maybe the root of my problem.  Has anyone else experienced this type of problem with something as menial as a piercing?  I'll post again if I see any marked improvements over time.
Hi Khryce. I recently bought a couple of titanium ear studs (surgical grade) which I've worn twice and each time, after about 30 minutes, my throat would become increasingly sore and I would started feel like I was getting the flu or something. After removing the studs over night and going to bed, I would feel fine in the morning and my throat would be almost 100%. I don't know if it this is coincidence but I'm certainly very suspicious of titanium now. I've never had to my knowledge any other reaction to metal.
I had my gallbladder removed about a year and a half ago .  I still have sharp pain in my right side almost every day. It's taking over my life . I heard that they clip arteries with titanium clips. I wonder if this is causing my pain. anyone with answers?
I had a biopsy on March 11, 2008 (which was benigh thank God) in two days after my biopsy I started with a rash and itch that drove me nuts.  The Dr, told me at the time of my biopsy that they were going to place a titanium clip in me to make the spot for future mammogram's.  I explained to the Dr. that I was highly allergic to any kind of metals and was deeply concerned about the clip and my reaction to it.  He stated that one, they wouldn't do my biopsy and two that there was NO CHANCE of me getting a reaction from the clip.  I trusted his professional expertise and had the clip put in.  A month has gone by and after steroid packs and anti itch medicine, I am still suffereing with a constant itch and trouble sleeping at night.
My primary Dr., had referred me to a Vascular Surgeon to have the clip removed as I have a rash all around the breast and upper part of my chest.  The Vascular surgeon states that it is NOT from the tituanium and he will not take it out as it is a difficult procedure.  He wants me to now see a Dermatologist.  I am being bounced around from one Dr. to another and nothing has been resolved.  I am extremely concerned as how this is effecting my body and my breast as it is in the blood stream.
Can anyone tell me where to seek medical advice to resolve this problem once and for all!  Clearly, there are LOTS of people out there that are having numerous reactions to titanium in one way or another..
I spent 2007 listening to conventional doctors tell me there was "no way".  I proved on my own that I was extremely allergic to the cobalt used in the base on a cap on my teeth.  I am still having residual problems and my whole family knows that even if it is a case of life and death that I will not accept an implant of any kind of metal.  I am sincerely sorry that you are going through the reactions.  My best advice is to be persistent.  You know your body better than anyone else.  Stick to your guns.  I found my dentist through the advice of a holistic nutritionist.  Holistic medicine is much more supportive of the belief in allergic reaction manifesting in differnt and unsualy ways.  You don't have to go head first into holistics but there is valueable insight to be gained by being open minded.
My wife had spinal fussion, three level, which included the use of a titanium plate. She has developed severe eye problems (styes, redness, swelling). She has been to eye doctors, skin doctors, and they are just trying different meidications with no luck. She is alergic to some metals in jewelry, and that this might be an allergic reaction to titanium. Is there anyone else with this possible problem. Any feedback would be aprreciated, Gary from Illinois
Do a search on MELISA test.  Lots of info on titanium allergies and a test for determining if you are allergic to titanium.

Lisa
Allergy to the metal parts of the implant has occasionally been reported. People who know they have metal allergies should be tested with extracts of the various metal components of the implant prior to surgery. You should notify  your doctor if you believe you have a metal allergy. Metal allergies are rare and the tests are not completely reliable, so they are only performed if a metal allergy is suspected. Allergy to the plastic parts has never been reported. Small particles of plastic or metal from the implant may cause a reaction in the bone but this is not a true allergy.
Ref:http://www.hipsandknees.com/knee/kneesurgerycomplications.htm.
I purchased some prescription frames recently.  The area the frame inserts into the ear, developed a bad rash, skin broke & bled on both ears, it was pretty disgusting.  My allergy symptoms went into overload.  

I visit the Optomotrist office, I was allergic to the titanium frames purchased.  Changed frames, and used Neosporin recommended by Opt office, and the issue disappeared.

I am allergic to Titanium.  Opt tech, said Titanium frames are commonly known to cause allergic reactions.  

Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Find out if your city is a top "allergy capital."
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
If you’re one of the 35 million Americans who suffer from hay fever, read on for what plants are to blame, where to find them and how to get relief.
Allergist Dr. Lily Pien answers Medhelp users' most pressing allergy-related questions
When you start sniffling and sneezing, you know spring has sprung. Check out these four natural remedies to nix spring allergies.