Allergies? Cold? Asthma?

How can I tell the difference between the three?
At what point should I see a doctor?

The cedar pollen count here is high and I'm not feeling good.  I'm swollen, my eyes weep, I'm sleepy and achy and my sinuses are stuffed.  

Is it a cold?  Allergies?
Cold is not usually associated with all you listed out. Though it comes with cold or winter season often or with somebody that responds to change of temperature readily. All the things you said shows more of allergy, it now depends on if you have a family history of such or is just occuring to you. Then you should see your ddoctor now pls
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The common cold is caused by viruses, and usually spreads from an infected person. Unless, there is a superadded infection with bacteria, it is usually mild and recedes by itself.

In an entity called allergic rhinitis, the symptoms are similar to a common cold, but they are usually more persistent and show seasonal variation. The individual responds to an allergen, which can be in many forms like dust and household mites. It appears that you are suffering from such a phenomenon.

Cough, chest tightness and breathlessness are the triad of symptoms for Asthma. It is a disease affecting the lungs causing narrowing of the airways, usually due to an allergic reaction to triggering factors. Therapy is with bronchodilators which cause the airways to dilate.

I would suggest you obtain a referral to an allergist or an ENT who does allergy testing.  That is the only way to reliably know what is causing your allergic reaction.  Some allergies can be life-threatening as they can precipitate anaphylactic shock in which the swelling can be so severe that it impairs the ability to breathe.  Therefore, I would suggest you see someone as soon as possible.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.

You are reading content posted in the Allergy Community

Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Find out if your city is a top "allergy capital."
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
If you’re one of the 35 million Americans who suffer from hay fever, read on for what plants are to blame, where to find them and how to get relief.
Allergist Dr. Lily Pien answers Medhelp users' most pressing allergy-related questions
When you start sniffling and sneezing, you know spring has sprung. Check out these four natural remedies to nix spring allergies.