Allergy Community

Allergies

Lately, I get this feeling like there is a something stuck  in my throat, I get chest pains, the bottom of my feet hurt when I walk. I feel tired.  I cough and nothing comes out, sometimes heavy mucus comes out.  THe pain in my chest is on my left side.  I found out that I have cold urticaria- allergic to the cold and cold water.  The doctor first thought I was suffering from GERD or acid reflux.  THe only thing that alleviates it is benadryl- for approximately an hour and then the symptoms- especially the feeling of something stuck in my throat comes back.  Anybody has any idea.   I will be going to a specialist to see what they find.  THanks.
Urticaria (or hives) is a skin condition, commonly caused by an allergic reaction. Wheals from urticaria can appear anywhere on the body, including the face, lips, tongue, throat, and ears. The wheals typically itch severely, sting, or burn, and often have a pale border.

Urticaria is generally caused by direct contact with an allergenic substance, or an immune response to food or some other allergen, but can also appear for other reasons, notably emotional stress. The rash can be triggered by quite innocent events, such as mere rubbing or exposure to cold.

Urticarias can be very difficult to treat.  Drug treatment is typically in the form of Antihistamines such as diphenhydramine, hydroxyzine, cetirizine and other H1 receptor antagonists.
Most treatment plans for urticaria involve being aware of one's triggers, but this can be difficult since there are several different forms of urticaria and people often exhibit more than one type. Also, since symptoms are often idiopathic (unknown reason) there might not be any clear trigger. If one's triggers can be identified then outbreaks can often be managed by limiting one's exposure to these situations.

ref:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urticaria
Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Find out if your city is a top "allergy capital."
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
If you’re one of the 35 million Americans who suffer from hay fever, read on for what plants are to blame, where to find them and how to get relief.
Allergist Dr. Lily Pien answers Medhelp users' most pressing allergy-related questions
When you start sniffling and sneezing, you know spring has sprung. Check out these four natural remedies to nix spring allergies.