Allergy Community

Chronic Blocked Sinuses and Sneezing

Hello there,

I am a 32 year old male.  For many years I have been living with what I think are exceptionally bad allergies.  On certain seasons my nose gets blocked so much that I cannot breathe through it; especially when I am lying down (sleeping).

I have tried a multitude of anti-allergins.  Tavist, Chlorotriplon, Reactine, Aerius, etc.  None of them have given me any kind of relief.  I have been to see allergists to get a list of what I am allergic to.  These things are strawberries, cherries, peanuts, tabacco, horse hair, dog and cat dander, dust mites.  I twice went on a regimen of allergy shots; on both occasions, I got some temporary relief that lasted a couple of weeks, but after that, the symptoms of the allergies returned at full force even while I continued taking the shots.  I have also been on a regimen of Nasonex and other sorts of nasal sprays that you need a prescription for.  Once again, I saw temporary relief only to have the symptoms return.

This summer (and now September) of 2008 has been really bad.  (I lived in Japan from July 2006 to May 2008, and for some reason I had few allergic symptoms there).  I am, like ever, waking up in the middle of the night unable to breathe because my nose gets congested.  I blow my nose, but nothing gets drained.  Allergy medicines have no effect.  And I have already tried all the allergy shots and nasal sprays to no end.

Please help me.  I can't stand this any longer.  I have been to Allergy Specialists.  Nothing seems to help.  Do I have sinusitis?  Should I try nasal irrigators?  Exactly what can I have to make these symptoms last forever?

Thank you in advance.

Your symptoms are suggestive of sinusitis or chronic sinusitis(>30 days). First of all, the diagnosis of sinusitis or sinus infection has to be confirmed. This can be done through transillumination (passing light through the sinuses) or Sinus X-rays or CAT scan of sinuses.
Treatment of sinusitis involves Oral antibiotics (usually 10 to 14 days). They are to be taken on prescription. You can use an over-the-counter (OTC) decongestant combined with an anti-inflammatory analgesic (pain reliever) like Ibuprofen. However, you should not use decongestants for more than 5-7 days at a time. Symptoms can also be relieved by using a saline nasal spray or a nasal spray that contains corticosteroids. Corticosteroids work by helping to reduce inflammation and congestion.

The golden rule for chronic stuffy nose is steam inhalation. Inhaling steam from a bowl of hot (but not boiling water) may help to soften, and loosen, the build up of mucus in your nose. You may also find that adding some menthol crystals, or eucalyptus oil, to the water, helps to ease your symptoms of catarrh.

. Avoid indigestible, spicy, foods and meats. Eat simply of wholesome food. Obtain needed out-of-door exercise, sunbaths, and swimming. It can also be treated using an antihistamine nasal spray. Antihistamine works by blocking your immune system's response to the allergen.

Severe and chronic cases may require sinus drainage. These remedies should work for you. If the symptoms still persist then pls consult an ENT specialist.

Take care and do keep us posted on how you are doing.
Thank you very much.

I will follow your suggestions to a T.
Little update.

I went to my doctor today.  It turns out that I have indeed a bit of a sinus infection.  He prescribed for me Novamoxin (Amoxicillin) which I am to take 1 capsule, 3 times daily.

As well, he recommended that I continue with Nasonex, but that I should add Salinex with the regimen.  I am to take spray of Salinex, 1 in each nostril, wait five minutes, and then use the Nasonex.

Let's hope this works out.
Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Find out if your city is a top "allergy capital."
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
If you’re one of the 35 million Americans who suffer from hay fever, read on for what plants are to blame, where to find them and how to get relief.
Allergist Dr. Lily Pien answers Medhelp users' most pressing allergy-related questions
When you start sniffling and sneezing, you know spring has sprung. Check out these four natural remedies to nix spring allergies.