Cipro allergy?

I recently developed diverticulitis again.  My doctor prescribed Cipro and Flagyl as he had in the past.

5 days into the treatment, I started to get hives on my hands and feet a swollen lower lip.  Called the on call doc and he said it was probably a reaction to the Cipro.  Ordered both it and Flagyl be stopped and called a script for Bactrim instead as well as Benadryl.  The Benadryl helped with the hives (and a good night's sleep LOL) but in the morning they returned.

Took another benadryl which helped for about 4 hours (and knocked me out again) and the hives and swollen lip came back.

Called in again and he said to switch off the Benadryl and try Loratadine.  This does not seem to be controlling it so well (took it 2 hours ago).

So its been about 30 hours since the last Cipro dose.  If it was indeed a Cipro allergy, how long before it should go away?

Thanks in advance
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Thanks doc.

Just curious.  Is it common to develop an allergy to a medication which you have taken many times without incident in the past?

If so, is it worth doing seperate trials of Cipro and Flagyl after this has cleared up to see which drug was the culprit?

Helpful - 0
What you are suffering from does seem to be an allargic re-action to Cipro.
This is a common side-effect of the drug.
I would suggest that you continue wiyh the Benadryl since it has been more effective in controlling the symptoms.
Loratidine has been prescribed to you  to minimize the sedating effect of  anti-histaminics.
It will settle down totally in about a week to ten days but you will begin to feel better in a couple of days.
Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Allergy Community

Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Find out if your city is a top "allergy capital."
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
If you’re one of the 35 million Americans who suffer from hay fever, read on for what plants are to blame, where to find them and how to get relief.
Allergist Dr. Lily Pien answers Medhelp users' most pressing allergy-related questions
When you start sniffling and sneezing, you know spring has sprung. Check out these four natural remedies to nix spring allergies.