Constant smoke smell in nasal passages.
I am a non-smoker. We are a non-smoking family. I am not around smokers at all. Why do I have the constant smell of smoke in my nose. It used to be just an occasional thing, but lately it seems to be all the time. I am concerned that this is a symptom of something I don't know about. The smell is strong. I used to notice it about a half hour after taking my Allegra-D 12 hr. tablets, but now I smell it much more often. Am I going crazy or is there something to this I'm not aware of. Has anyone else experienced this? Please help?
no matter where I am I smell cigarette smoke ,to day I was at church and I was sitting their and start smelling cigarette smoke . I don't know what to do.
Smokers don't care if they smell or affect others. Most anyway. I've come across 3 in my entire life that actually are willing to help not invade someone else's clean air space. Still hoping for California's smoking ban to become nationwide. An alternative would be a better solution.

Right now, our solution is for the smokers to quit altogether, and their solution is for us to wear a mask or never go out in public. Both sides are invasive, so a new alternative to cigarettes would be best. But how? Hmm.
My doctor told me to take 20 or more mg zinc daily. It worked. The smell went away.
I have been experiencing smoke smells for over eight years now and it periodically accursed when i am awaken out off my sleep thinking that there is a fire in my house. I walk around every time and there is nothing to be found, and then minutes later it goes away, very very weird. I noticed it when I use to clean my dogs boop up with bleach, and a couple months after that is when it  started. Maybe I need to go see a Doctor..
Cant believe how common a problem this seems to be, however have not found any comment Rhinitus. I was diagnosed this after having constant runny but blocked nose for 2 years. I was given a spray but it doesnt help. The tablets I was given, cetirizine do help. However a few weeks ago I started smelling cigarette smoke, when I'm knowhere near it or anyone who smokes. I've also had stomach problems on and off for about 6 months. Is it all related? Anyone with any advice? Will go and see gp but to be fair he's not the most helpful sort!!!
Where there's Smoke (Smells) there is fire...Is MTHFR your prob?

The phantom smells are a canary in a coal mine. That's all well and good if you know what it means when that canary buys the farm. Many people who ultimately develop MS report phantosmia (phantom smells, especially smoke) prior to diagnosis.  However, a precursor to this condition is toxin overload, which not-coincidentally is thought to be related to MS development.  When you have one or more MTHFR gene mutations, the body can’t produce glutathione efficiently to help the body detox on its own, so toxins build up and damage nerves.  The good news is that there is more often than not a simple fix.

You might want to get tested for the MTHFR (methylene tetra-hydrofolate reductase) gene mutation. [If you google mthfr and mind map and mindmeister, there is a pretty good visual representation of this condition though it’s disease list is not comprehensive.]  If you have one or more copies, it is easily correctable with the active form of folic acid called methyl-folate and the active form of cobalamin called methyl-cobalamin. Be sure to AVOID the inactive forms called simply folic acid and cobalamin or you will make your condition worse...even if it's just in processed foods.  They can cause serious problems and even behavioral problems like irritability/anxiety, etc, and serious digestive issues when you eat too much of them and you have these mutations.  (Warning!:  You have to START SLOW and build up with this ‘fix’ or you will rebound causing more symptoms which may cause you to give up altogether on it.  Just be patient and take it slow.)

There is a whole list of other associated conditions including stroke/heart attacks/Deep Vein Thrombosis, IBS, Crohn's & other digestive disorders, hormone dysregulation/miscarriages, MS, cancer, depression, anxiety, schizophrenia, bipolar, CFS, FM, migraines, multiple chemical sensitivity, etc. These conditions are completely avoidable with simple methylated B vitamins and a change in diet (avoid supplemented folic acid in food like the plague).  

You can read about the mutation in a really well written blog post by googling "Holy MTHFR". The blog is not all about MTHFR mutations but the blogger takes a complicated condition and puts it into simple terms. Then you can read more convoluted, technical stuff online (mthfr.net and dramyyasko.com and heartfixer.com).  There is also an mthfr support account on Facebook too, where doctors familiar with it will answer your questions. I see a doctor in Texas City, Texas, an MD who happens to be schooled in nutrition related disease. (most doctors are not, sadly.  Dr. Ben Lynch has a Find a Doctor feature on his website though, if your doctor is not educated on this mutation and how to treat it:  mthfr.net)

I've used Cerefolin NAC for a year now (methyl-folate, methyl-cobalamin and NAC combo) and the smoke smell only comes back if I stop using it for more than a couple of weeks. I am homozygous so it's a critical thing for me to take it life long. [I learned recently that the preservatives/additives in this form are a trial for my body so I am moving to Dr. Lynch's additive free methyl Bs.)

Oh and the migraines have stopped since I started taking 500 mg of magnesium citrate (has to be citrate or a chelated form of Mag) combined with 500 mg calcium citrate and a combo of vitamin D3/K2 5000 IUs/1100 mcgs before bed.  Be sure to use the citrate form since the oxide form is not nearly as bioavailable...i.e. a waste of money. (**NOTE:  This combo is important NOT only because they have to have each other to work properly but because taking calcium without mag and vit K can contribute to plaque development in your arteries. So if you lower the amt of Mag because your bowels loosen too much in this combo, be SURE to lower Calc to the same level to avoid plaque buildup.  This is hyper-critical since those with these mutations already are MUCH more susceptible to heart attacks/strokes/DVT whether you are currently showing signs or not.)

In addition to the night Mag combo, I added 500 mg mag citrate alone to my morning routine which also seems to be helping reduce the number of migraines/headaches too.  In any event, there seems to be some kind of connection with an increased demand for Mag for those of us with this mutation.   [A couple of times I have used about 8 oz of pomegranate juice too, a vasodilator, when the magnesium combo just wasn’t enough and had headaches ease off altogether.]  

**You can buy these active B vitamins without a prescription at Vitamin Shoppe for about the same as what you spend for a 3 month mail order supply through an online pharmacy like Brand Direct for one of the 'medical foods' that combine them into one pill, but you need a prescription for them. (i.e. Deplin, Metanx, Cerefolin NAC---each of these varies in type and amt of active B vitamins and are listed here in increasing amts of methyl-folate/methyl-cobalamin formulations) You may have to try one and move to another if it isn't enough to address your condition. Just google the contents of each to see the amount of each methylated vitamin in them if you are going to try to match them at Vitamin Shoppe separately. (again, if you are homozygous, consider using forms that have NO additives like Dr. Lynch's or Yasko's)

Heterzygous---or a person with 1 gene mutation copy--- needs less methylated B vitamins usually than those who are homozygous---or have 2 gene mutation copies. You don't have to be tested to try them but doing so will make it much easier to treat and to know exactly how much you need so you don't waste money.  

1 mutation means you are about 70% efficient at activating your Bs while 2 mutations means your about 10% or less efficient. That is a serious difference and means you are MUCH more susceptible at an earlier age to the disease states associated with this mutation if you are homozygous.  However, they are beginning to understand that heterozygous mutations have their own significant challenges so don’t discount your need for methylated Bs if heterozygous.

Just a thought...the longer you wait, the more likely you are to develop the related and completely avoidable diseases with simple active (methylated) vitamins. Be proactive...don't wait until you come down with one of these serious diseases because treating it at that point is much harder.
I have the same problem..i don't smoke don't hang with anyone who smokes..and my home is new ..and I smell smoke..my eyes are buring   ..I am so sick of this..has anyone found a cure for this problem yet????  
YES!  Finally, someone with the same symptoms as me! Beginning to think l was going mad! Had an endoscopy 6 mths ago for heartburn/ GERD/ ulser, etc? Was put onto Nexium which fixed the problem for a few months--now l have this 'smokey' smell all the time--hard to breath at night.  l also have a deviated septum and post nasal drip--apparently it's all connected. Off to see the specialist again.
Thank you for your post about the Acid Reflux. I'm supposed to be on Prilosec twice per day due to a history of bleeding ulcers. Well, when I'm not in pain, I don't bother. But yes, that annoying smell of smoke is back and I do notice it more when laying in bed with my head propped up on a pillow. Makes sense that it's the gasses coming back up from inside my body! So, I'm going to take my meds when I get home and see how I feel in a few days. Will let everyone know!
Did you get any help? I have had the exact problem and no one knows what is wrong. My lungs have been hurting a little last 2 days.
I believe that the smell is from tramadol...if your taking any sort of painkillers, and stop...I think this is a symptom of withdrawal, I suspect painkillers is THE common denominator in all of these posts....
several years ago we went to a arty where the fireplace flue was not working, so all the smoke came into the house, since that time i have had bouts of smelling stale wood, cigarette type smoke in my nostrils. it only happens when i go near a smoky smelling environment. i am on 60 mg of prevacid a day, so i know acid reflux isnt the problem. and, i also know it is psychological. this is a real, physical issue, and i can gt no help for it i guess. i avoid fires as much as possible, but was at an outdoor gathering this weekend where there was a wood fire, and cigarette smokers. have had the smell ever since then. too bad, i know i will have it for at least the next few weeks to months before it clears up. i had had releif for months, but, now it is back. it is so annoying, i think about it all the time. the onlky thing i can do to get some relief is to put vicks vapor rub in my nostrils. after i started using it, someone told me heard that firemen also do that to stop the problem from happening to them. my family thinks i am silly, and refuses to take me seriously when i wont walk past a wood fire or go near anything remotely smokey. so, i usually dont even talk about it.  i guess since i have had this for so many years, and it isnt constant i can put up with it, and i dont think it is anything life threatening.
Smoke? Dust? All the same? I don't know but I can't sleep because of the burning in my sinus. It smells like thick dust. Sometimes strong. Other times slight, but it causes a burning when I lay down to rest. I try to cover my nose with the sheets and it only helps a slight bit. I did some looking and found a filter that can be inserted into the nostril. You have to buy it on line, but Walgreens offers it and so does Amazon, oddly enough. I can't wait to try it. My eyes swell when it's bad and I look so old. Sometimes I think it'll be the thing that takes me out. I don't know but when it is really bad, it gets into my brain and I start to see and experience demonic things. I hate it. The brain and sinus' are connected. One goes bad, the other is affected. I need help and don't know what to do anymore. Doctors think I'm nutz, but I'm not. I'm just tired of trying to convince them I have a valid problem.
I also have been taking tramadol, which I now use only intermittently.
I have the smell of exhaust fumes in my nose. It doesn't matter where I am, it's nearly always there. It's driving me nuts. Your average doctor over here in the UK won't do anything, having read all of the above posts, I am now very concerned and need to get some proper help.
I started getting this smoke smell last week and although I don't have a full solution I think I may have an explanation of some sort. I have been losing weight on a low carb diet. Iv also been using  Garcinia Cambogia which allegedly 'melts fat' from the inside. So far I have lost about 20lb and have just hit my lowest weight in 7 years. I'm looking pretty good and this stuff certainly helps BUT this really strong smoke smell has started. I've looked around the internet at sites like this for a cause but it's only when you start looking at diet and this smell that it starts to make a bit of sense, in my case anyway. When I hit my previous lowest weight this smell started really strongly and freaked me a bit till I made the connection. It seems to be to do with stored toxins in body fat. Once you hit a certain point these toxins are released into the body and cause problems and I think this is where the problem lies in many people on here. I've tried a few things and think I've found and ongoing solution that may help so rather than type it all out here I will wait to see if there is any interest on this site and elaborate further.
Ok, so this is what I've done. 4 days ago I stopped taking the Garcinia Cambogia and increased my carbs. Today the smell has gone completely and I've put 2lb back on. That's fine but what's basically happened is that the increase in body fat has packaged the toxins back up and stored them as fat again. It's to do with how the liver deals with nasty stuff and is quite complicated. Tests done over decades show in the US shows that 100% of Americans carry 4 common toxins not naturally found in the body. These include PCB's and other toxins from food, the environment and lifestyle, 83% carry an additional 6. It's stored in fat tissue and one day it's gonna come out somewhere unless you just keep getting fatter and die a fatty.

When I start back on my weight loss and the Garcinia Cambogia tomorrow I am certain that in a few days the smell will return. To compensate for this i need to detoxify myself as much as possible over the coming weeks to clear these toxins and end the smoky smell while continuing to burn up this old fat. I've decided to take fibre supplements at 3times the recommended daily amount and drink lots of mineral water. Fibre acts as a toxin magnet and gives the liver another place to dump it. I'm guessing the smoke smell will go over a period of weeks but it depends how toxic my fat deposits are and how long it takes to rebalance my system. I'm not going to take the fibre increase until the smell reappears. That way at least I can check my theory. If it returns and the detox works then it might provide others with some relief and guidance.

One other thing that supports my theory is that my wife lost loads of weight a few years ago and guess what...yes the smoky/cigarette smell haunted her as well. It went once she put a little weight back on. Over the years she put it all back on again (as you do!!!!) and had joined me on on my diet. She has had no problems this time but she is losing much newer fat that may be low toxin or toxin free. Just a theory but I will let you know how it goes. 4 days ago I sat in the exact place I'm typing this now and felt I was smoking 20 a day even though I have never smoked in my life. Now all I can smell is....nothing. Just clean cool air. I'll keep you guys posted.
2 days in now and the smoke smell is gradually returning but not that bad. I'm going to crank up the fibre tomorrow to 60gm per day and see what happens next. I'm so hoping that this is going to work.
I have periodically throughout my adult years experienced a significant smoke smell.  I am convinced it is allergy related.  I just started a job where my office is located in a basement where there are reportedly rats and visible black mold.   In addition, the air ducts are filthy.  

I was not surprised when I started smelling smoke soon after starting and have a very congested cough.  I have bought a desktop air filter and take allergy pills doesn't really help though.
A few weeks ago I posted on this thread about dieting and this smoky smell. This is an update after 2 weeks since my last post.

The smell came back as I started losing weight again but not as strongly as before. I took 60gm of fibre supplement a day to help cleanse toxins out of my system. That is a lot. The smell lasted a few days, on and off, but has now disappeared. While I had this strange smoke smell I also felt generally unwell. As of today the smell has gone although I still feel a little unwell.

I am convinced it is all to do with toxins and past absorption of toxin into the body that are being released. That is why so many people get this problem.

Deal with your toxins and cleanse your system.

Good luck
I've had the smoke smell thing happening off and on for over ten years. I probably visited this forum about it several years ago and since then, I've discovered a few things.

First thing is that it seems to be triggered when I'm at my computer, but not always. I read that someone else mentioned stress being a trigger and that would make sense in my case.

I have not discovered any sort of cure, of course, but I have noticed something that relieves the annoying symptom, which is of course, the smell of cigarettes. I had noticed about a year ago that if I put a little pressure on my cheeks, right next to my nose, I could not only breath better but the smell went away. The pressure should be away from the nose. So on a hunch, I bought a pack of Breath Right nasal strips and tried that.....Viola! It worked! So yeah....who wants to wear one of those all day. But at home, I'd rather have that on my nose than smell the smoke. I have one on as I'm typing this and while the smoke smell was quite intense all day, I smell nothing at the moment.
So it seems to me that this may be some sort of clue to the cause, but who knows....I'm not a doctor (I will be in my next life, I hope:-))

p.s.
The nasal strip I'm wearing right now I just bought at WalMart and is their brand. I wasn't paying attention and bought the small size. So what's happening is that the strip isn't keeping it's pressure and so as my nostrils return back to 'normal', the smoke smell returns as well. So....it'll be back to the store tomorrow to buy the larger and stronger size. Hope this helps someone.

Anyway, try the nasal strips. At least it relieves the ugly smell. Next I'm going to order a pair of these things that go inside your nostrils that are supposed to be better than these strips....and cheaper.

And someday I'll visit a doctor to have it checked out, but from what I've read here, most of them are clueless:-)
I gave up smoking seven months ago and for the last two weeks have had the smell of cigarettes in my nose. Finding this forum first made me happy as I wasn't alone (and wasn't going crazy!) but then I got disheartened to read that no-one had really found a cure.
Thanks for the info you provided - as I read it, I realised I only get the smell when I am on my work PC or laptop at home (very odd). I tried pressing my cheeks as you suggested and the smell went :)
I will have to put up with the smell while at work (I can't type and press at the same time!) but will invest in some breathing strips for home.
Thanks for the advice.
I had this problem for years ...A lot of perfumes are tobacco based so all you're clothes may have perfume on.... the longer it's on the more the sweetness goes and you're left with a smoke odour. Your colleagues may also have coats jackets etc with old  perfume on. Air your suits coats jackets regularly should help and read ingredients on bottle if you want to avoid this smell. Hope this helps
I had the problem of smelling smoke when no one else did. I am not a smoker—never have been. No one in my family smokes.  I used to think it was someone staying at my neighbor’s house and I smelled it coming through the window. It seemed so real!  But then it happened in my car, and at work.  No one smokes at my work.  That’s when I realized it was not coming from outside of my body. The smell was being generated by me.  So I started thinking of what could be in me creating that smell.  I thought of things I was breathing in.  I am 99% sure I know what was causing it--cornstarch baby powder.  I stopped using it and after about 3 weeks no more smoke smell.  I started using it again and the smell phenomenon came back.  So I stopped using it again and the smell eventually went away.  I do not use cornstarch baby powder anymore and I have had no reoccurrence of the smoke smell. I have been using plain baby powder now for about 6 months and have had no problems with it.  Hope this helps!
I went to see my family the other day, and my sister and brother-in-law both smoke and the house really smelt of fags and they smoke 1 after the other and since then the back of my nose feels like i have breathed in lots of the smoke and it's horrible, will it eventually disappear because it makes me feel sick
I have an observation that I think may be very IMPORTANT to many of us.  I also have had these phantom fumes and smells for over five months...and they have ranged from sickly sweet/ moldy to pungent chemical and diesel fuel/kerosene- like in odor.  Many times I have had these smells early upon waking , but the worst times have been middle of the night, where they would wake me up with a sickening start!  I had felt all along that we had mold issues in our HVAC, and over the months had an entirely new system installed, inside and out, with new ductwork, etc.  We even added the UV light, and had a major cleaning done...we are in an almost brand new home...   Guess what....the smell came back just as before.  About two weeks ago, doing research on these fumes and moldy sickening odors...I stumbled across several blogs and sites describing Phantosmia.  WOW!  A frightening realization slowly overcame me...that it has all been internal...and not external at all.  No one else ever smells the odors that I have complained about, of course.  So, the other night, to test my theory, I went to bed, and upon waking up early in the morning...checked to see if I could smell the "fumes"....  Slightly, but not overwhelming.  THEN, I made a slight depression in my pillow, and breathed into it four or five times without using my nose to breathe in...I then smelled the area slowly...and WOW!  Overpowering fumes there in the pillow...exactly of the same scent as the diesel and sickening sweet moldy smells I have had over many months.  

Here is my major take away from this  (and of course I did this little experiment about 20 times, to make sure the odor was coming OUT OF ME)........that we may not all be 'hallucinating odors' , or having some other worldly sensing type of wierd experience...but we may actually be smelling a very strange odor from our own breath!!!  Maybe coming from lungs...or abdominal/gastric areas, or sinuses.    I remember times my wife would occasionally have 'acetone' breath in the morning, and I would be amazed at how it smelled just like nail polish remover...exactly.  She could breathe at me, and it would be pure acetone. It only happened four or five times over the years. We looked it up and found this is common and is explained in medical literature as a known breath abberation.

So this leads me to this conclusion...we may ALSO be 'manufacturing' the odor that we frequently smell, and we may smell and percieve different versions of the odor, depending on our internal bodily conditions.  I do NOT know what may be producing the odor...but I do believe it is real...and we are highly sensitive to smelling it.  Try the pillow test next time you wake up to the nasty fumes.....breathe a bit of your own breath back in...and see if it is very strong and more intense.  I also had several moderate head bump situatiuons in the past year....sports related, which many claim can cause phantosmia....but I also have frequent sinus allergies  (not infection)...and this has also been implicated in the medical sites.   So, let's see if anyone else out there can determine whether their phantom smells and fumes are being 'imagined'/ hallucinated......OR rather being just plain produced by our bodies...and sensed very acutely when we breathe it in.  That is likely why it comes and goes randomly...depending on our day to day physical condition.  

I think that if people can develop 'acetone' breath, as my wife has in the past, and that itself is a very noxious smell....and is accepted as being caused by metabolic changes in an individual....then we may be producing a breath scent in a very similar manner.  We may just smell and taste our own noxious scent being produced for some unknown reason!!!!  The smell that I breathed into my pillow was the EXACT fume smell, times ten!!!  It comes from inside of ME!!!
I had these same symptoms about 2 years ago.  I thought it may be coming from a bad tooth because I read somewhere a bad tooth infection could lead to some weird sinus smells.  I had the tooth fixed and the smells went away, I actually forgot about the problem until recently.  That tooth has a crown on it, and it recently started hurting me alot, I've had to take motrin until I can get to the doctor January when I have more insurance.  But guess what, the smell is back!  Could this be from a tooth infection?  My tooth hasn't even been hurting any longer but the smell is getting worse.
I read all these comments.  Hours of them.  No one has mentioned anything about the harmful toxins of actual cigarrette smoke as being probable culprits.  We have all been exposed in our lifetimes.  Either by living near people who smoked, or in homes where people smoked, or buildings where people smoked.  Why else would people smell cigarrette smoke, if they hadn't been exposed?  They damage our olefactory systems.  Many never to regain normal sense of smell.  Their toxins live in us, circulating within us, destroying our sense of smell.  And coming back to haunt us.  Just another reason to ban cigarrettes.  We should add these problems to the many class action suits against the companies who insist on manufacturing them still, and try to tell us all they aren't causing these serious health problems.  PS   I started having this problem after visiting a friend whose house reeked of smoke.  She said sorry for the smoke, do you mind?  I should have turned around and not visited, but stayed an hour or so.  It's been more than 4 months...plagued with this smoke smell.
I have had the same smell for quite so time now . Almost like a burning smell. I have watch my habits and I think I linked it to RAINX windshield washer fluid. I noticed when Im on long trips my eyes start burning and the smell is so strong I keep letting in fresh air in my side window every few miles. Now some might say my car must be a mess but i have a really nice loaded truck so I keep it very clean. It wouldnt always have the smell but after a snow or ice storm when I used the washer fluid for the deicer in the fluid thats when I would get the smell. My truck is diesel so I thought exhaust was coming into the cabin air. But then a break thru my wifes car had the same smell but no other car I was in had that smell. So it hit me the only thing in common between them was the dang washer fluid. My chest even hurt slightly when breathing.
I also smell cigarette smoke when no one around me is smoking. It started a year ago shortly after I had my dental implant. My implant got infected too, so I'm thinking there must be a correlation with phantosmia and dental implants. I don't smell the smoke all the time, but it comes and goes. Sometimes it stays for a week at a time. I had a CT scan, an MRI and an EEG in addition to meeting with a neurologist who told me there is no sign of seizure or brain tumors. Are you still smelling smoke and have you found a remedy?
This smell started yesterday and today still and I did have some dental work, (an old root canal) in a molar worked on. I feel a little bit of some sinus thing going on and I know in the past I have smelled weird smells during/tail end of sinus infections. Also two weeks ago I was exposed to some mold and it got into my chest. It was pretty much gone and then this happened. It's been constant for several hours now and getting on my nerves.

"Cigarette Smoke" is as good a description as needs be although I've come to think of it as *not* smoke but the sensation of there not being enough oxygen in a smoke-filled room/bar (remember that?)

I get the sensation at home from time to time and in my car when the air conditioner is on.  If I open the car windows, it goes away.

My next step is to get both home and car systems checked for leaks.

I did just install an IQAir filter in my bedroom ( $900! ) and find it's helped about 10-20%.

Caffeine. Too much caffeine, especially in pill form causes that. It goes away and seems to be annoying, but harmless.
Does he drink strong coffee? Caffeine in larger doses can cause this, I've learned from experience.
I stopped eating butter. It stopped the smoke smell.
I have had this new symptom for the last three weeks. I was at my wits end and decided finally to go to the doctor. He has prescribed nasal steroid drops. We are also getting blood drawn and having an xray.

I'm wondering if animal feces may be the culprit. A month ago, I was helping my room mate's family empty out a shed. It was home to a bunch of skunks so everything we threw away had skunk feces and etc. on it.

It's hard to pinpoint this since by the time I went to the doctor, my symptoms weren't as bad. I think the drops are helping as well. I notice that coffee can sometimes trigger the smoke smell. When it was bad and I was desperate, I took to slurping down strong salsa and siracha sauce, then listerine. That would kill it for a long while. I'd read that garlic and peppers had a antibiotic property so I figured fresh salsa could do the trick.<<<This is why I'm NOT a doctor!!! ;) Any way I will see what happens after my testing this week.
i have had a "smoky" smell in my nose since October 2010.  I have had a brain scan and a ct scan.  no allergies that i am aware of.  i don't drink caffeine.  i do eat chocolate.  it is driving me absolutely insane.  i have to pack my nose with vicks at night just to sleep.  it happens everywhere, anytime and comes an goes... sometimes lasting for weeks.  i am completely at a loss here.  when the smell is happening - it makes me almost sick to my stomach.  i'm forever finding something to smell so that it takes the place of the odor.  the only trigger i can find is stress..... it seems that if i start to get stressed - the smell hits.. sometimes with a vengence.
i sure don't know - but wanted to let others know that i am yet another one!
i didn't tell anyone for the longest time because i felt like i was being weird.  but it finally got so bad - i had to go to the doctor.
It's been over 2 months and I'd like to report no return of the phantom smoke smell. All I have done is stop using or ingesting butter to only a minimum amount. I generally stay away from cookies and never apply butter to bread or other foods.
Did anything help?
My ENT told me I may have this smell forever. He said a viral infection damaged my sinus nerves.
For the second time in about a year, I have begun to smell smoke 24/7 everywhere I go.  I am not a smoker, am never around smokers, but I smell smoke in my house, all three of our vehicles, in stores, even in my ENT's office when I saw him to try and determine why I smell smoke.  He said he had never had a case like mine before and had no idea what to do; he gave me antibiotics for a couple of weeks and all that did was give me the worse yeast infection I've ever had.  I finally stopped smelling smoke but about 3-4 days ago, it started again, strong.  My husband, and grandson, cannot smell it.  It worries me because if my house should catch on fire, I'm not sure I could catch the smell since that is all I do smell.  I have a very sensitive smell and can smell anything/everything where my husband can't pick up any odors.  I don't know what to do.
As unlikely as it sounds, I had a sensitivity to the activated carbon (charcoal) in the water filter in our fridge that caused me to have a constant smoke smell, heartburn, stomach cramps and pain, acid reflux, and chronic loose stools. It isn't really intuitive because activated carbon filters have such long, wide usage for filtering water and activated charcoal is used to treat stomach problems.

Obviously, not everyone with these symptoms has a sensitivity to the charcoal in water filters, but it is definitely worth investigating any potential sources of exposure to activated carbon/charcoal through your water: fridge filter, pitcher style Brita filter, or even purchased bottled water that has been charcoal filtered. It's an easy thing to check. I wish I had thought to check it out years ago. Could have so easily saved myself time, money, and years of discomfort.

The carbon filtered water from our fridge was the only water I drank and I drank it all the time. My symptoms went on for 2+ years, starting when we got a new fridge with a built-in water filter and dispenser. I didn't connect the filter with my symptoms though. We always changed our filter as recommended.

I went back to drinking tap water after reading about fridge water filters potentially harboring bacteria and fungus. Within 12 hours of stopping drinking the water that had run through, and often sat for hours or even overnight in, the carbon filter, all of my symptoms were gone. And they've stayed gone for more than a week. It was like someone flipped an "off" switch.

In the last 2+ years I had a lot of different types of tests, took a variety of medications, and tried every form of antacid, ppi, etc on the market. None of them helped and, for the most part, it just got worse over time.

Drinking unfiltered tap water was the first and only thing that ever really worked. I would even call it a "cure" at this point. It is such a relief to have those problems stop. It was pretty debilitating and I had pretty much resigned myself to having some weird occult gastric cancer that would eventually be identified. As I said, this has been a massive relief.

I hope this helps someone else.
I think you're on to something. I just recently experienced this smell of smoke. I thought it was my home, till I traveled and stayed in different hotel rooms and had the same problem in each place.

I've just recently stopped chemotherapy and I'm actively rebuilding my immune system. It was in the beginning of this detox process that I had the smell of smoke. It has mostly gone away, though there are intermittent occurrences every now and again, which I assume come from a toxin overload of some sort.

Interestingly my sinuses are also active during these times as well. I've never had problems with acid reflux, but I would suspect that too is related to toxins.
I've been subjected to this for a while now and it's driving me crazy. I'm getting a referral to a Neuro doc to do some testing to see what's going on. As you can see buy the comments a lot of these people haven't experienced this not so pleasant problem!!!!

I also have this sensation for about 3 days now.  Could this be related to dental work.  I had a deep cleaning done at dentist and they numbed my mouth, the area where they injected swelled up, and went away after 2 days.  Since then, I've been getting this smell.  It's exactly like a dirty oven turned on, or something burning.

I'll be checking back to this post frequently and will answer any questions that anyone has.  I'm trying to see if it's somehow related to my dental work or shots.
I found my source of phantom smoke smell, and it's now gone.

I had a badly decaying tooth, which I think was producing bacteria, causing a sulphur like smell.  By the time this all went through sinuses it smelt more like smoke.  I'm guessing if someone smelt my breath, they would have smelt the sulphur.  I didn't even have the tooth removed yet, just thoroughly cleaned entire area.

I believe this is bacteria or some such.  Spend at least 30 min cleaning mouth with wash, picks, floss, electric tooth brush etc.
I have had the smokey/exhausty/egg smell coming and going stuck in my nostrils for about a month. It is now driving me nuts.

I was convinced it was mould in my car AC. But none of my family members can smell it. And my car cabin filter is new and clean.

I am going to have the rest of the car AC system checked.

This point about the charcoal water filter is interesting. The smell is a charcoaly smell. And new cabin filters are often charcoal. I am thinking that my car probably got a new charcoal filter about 3 months ago. Now I am thinking could that be it? Can't find anyone else linking this to a charcoal cabin filter... I will keep looking... and try out a non-charcoal cabin filter...
Try washing your nostrils with mixture of toothpaste and mouthwash. It should kill the germs harbouring there.
I smell it before a seizure. I have had epilepsy for years and live with this and another horrid smell. The cigarette smell is the worst. I would not claim everyone who smells it has epilepsy, but it is comforting to know it is not just me. I see know ghost or think its paranormal. I know it is not allergies or sinus. It is not because I do not brush good or any other health reason. I'm simply an epileptic. However, it was nice to read the boards.
I have epilepsy too. And this is one of the smells I have before a seizure. Sometimes I smell it even if I'm not having or going to have a seizure. Which ***** because I tend to get a little panicked when I smell it because of smelling it many times before having a seizure; so I never know if the smell is a precursor to a seizure or not. I guess what this is called is Olfactory hallucinations or Phantosmia which could be an abnormal electrical discharge or “firing” in the brain; a seizure. These are just seizures we are not used to recognizing because they don't change our physical behavior or motor skills, it's very subtle and doesn't seem to cause any harm. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one experiencing this as well. It's comforting knowing I'm not alone.
I have this burning cigarette smelll the last couple of days while my nose is stuffy from the flu.I was a smoker but quit 10 years ago and never had this sensation unless of course I am next to a smoker smoking. I smelled this at home and office so it is nothing coming from exterior, it's internal. I am wondering if a med is causing this. I am taking antiviral TAMI-flu and also Mucinex DM for relieve from the flu symptoms. Was anybody else taking the same meds while having the burning cigarette sensation?
Same here, glad to see that I am not going crazy with this.
So many things can cause it I read it typically not the brain but could be. I also read on a site written by a Dr that sometimes it's a symptom not quite understood. I also read on that site herpes 1 and 2 can cause phantom smells I'll try to find the link. I'm no Dr I just research online but professional sources. Also it said be sure to go to not only an ENT but one with experience in this situation
I go have this cigarette smell. Mine seemed to start after I had dental work done. Maybe it&#39;s a coincidence but I don&#39;t know. It&#39;s been 18 days and my jaw is still a bit sore when I open my mouth wide. I also had a bruise on the outside of my jaw on the area being worked on. She removed a crown with much difficulty to remove decay under it. I felt a crack when she was attempting to remove it. She also repaired a broken filling to the tooth next to it. She misunderstood and gave me extra Novocain. I also started a new blood pressure medication a couple weeks before (verapamil)
Hi, im having problems with my nose,my car had service done a bmw for water damage and when we took it for a test drive the a.c. made a click nose and this bad smell came out it went threw my nose and I&amp;#39;ve been having problems with my nose since what can i do?