I have used hand sanitizer all my life with no problems.
However, last Sunday I went to the optometrist office to make an appointment and used the hand sanitizer in the lobby. It was mango-scented and a brand I had not seen before, and it squeezed out a bit more than I wanted so after rubbing my hands I patted the rest on my neck.
20 minutes later I had an itchy rash in the shape of my hand on my neck.
This had never happened before, and I thought maybe it was something in that specific brand.
The rash went away very quickly, it only lasted about 30 minutes or so and vanished.
But then yesterday I used the Purell hand sanitizer on my desk that I always use, and after 20 minutes my hands were red and blotchy. I washed off my hands with soap and the rash went away within minutes.
Could this be an allergic reaction that just developed suddenly?
Can allergies appear out of nowhere and disappear within minutes without any medication?